Williams Asks for Extension or Trade

LoganF89

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I tend to agree here. 

So for only $16m AAV, would you (as GM of a team - not necessarily your team but one that needs a LT) trade a 2020 - 3rd  or a 2021 - 2nd rounder?

I'm of the camp that a 3rd might be the highest the Redskins get right now. 

But...if we wait until the season and injuries happen to playoff teams, we might get a panicked team willing to do the trade (provided he shows up and shows he can still play). Otherwise, we just tell him to stay home and hope he had a nice time playing in the NFL.

I'd think hard about a 3rd. I think a 4th is more likely though based on what we've seen while also taking into account LT is a bit harder to find (although Calais as a DE has good positional value as well).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Its very difficult to find a trading partner at this point in time, prolly gets harder with every day.

You need to find a trade partner that a) can actually make a deal (cap space wise) b) has a starting LT need for said player c) wants to accept the baggage ofTrent d) willing to give up draft compensation/player

It's a very small list of teams.... and that's why the price drops IMO

My opinion is that as the draft gets closer/happens, the number of suitors could go up. Also the idea of looking for compensation for 2021 might be more to the Redskins benefit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

As said those arent top 5 guys ij protecting a Tom Brady. Cambell isn't a top 5 pass rusher. William's has been able to get his body in football shape for a full year and a half. He left the game as a top 5 QB protector and I need fair compensation for that. 

Williams is under contract to protect my young QB in Haskins and I'm not giving him away just for anything. Last year his value was a 1st from Bill Belichick coming off injury. I need at least a 2nd round pick for a top 5 LT who I have all the leverage to keep on my roster or he retires at his own will. I'm not paying him 20 million nor is any other team. 

Trent you want out find me a Team willing to offer a 2nd round pick or you play on your final deal of your SIGNED CONTRACT and next year I get a 3rd round compensation pick for you. 

Final offer.

Trent hasn't played in a year. You keep forgetting that.

Not to mention you are at an impasse with a guy who is pissed and refuses to play. Casey and Campbell were happy where they were and still got shipped for that amount. You're severely overvaluing Trent and undervaluing what Calais does as an edge rusher/pass rusher in general. Those have high value too.

Casey is younger with a more reasonable contract than either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I'd think hard about a 3rd. I think a 4th is more likely though based on what we've seen while also taking into account LT is a bit harder to find (although Calais as a DE has good positional value as well).

Yeah. I'm just bumping it up to a 3rd simply because he has shown to be a top flight talent in the NFL. And yes, this is a good draft for LT talent, but even that is a crap shoot. With Trent, you know that he will pan out, at least talent-wise. Which is why I think a 3rd might be the highest we get. A 4th seems more likely. But I think the smarter strategy here is to just roll with him into the season and see what happens. Because we can afford his contract (it's all salary this year) so if he sits out, we pay nothing for those weeks. And we've shown we'll let him sit out. So it will force him to report. And since he wants to hit FA next year and get paid, he'll report and ball out. Which helps him get a big contract and helps us at least get the 3rd round comp (provided the contract AAV is high enough). Or we get a team with SB aspirations lose their LT and figure trading us a late 2nd to get Trent to help them get to the SB is a risk worth taking.

• Like 3

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah. I'm just bumping it up to a 3rd simply because he has shown to be a top flight talent in the NFL. And yes, this is a good draft for LT talent, but even that is a crap shoot. With Trent, you know that he will pan out, at least talent-wise. Which is why I think a 3rd might be the highest we get. A 4th seems more likely. But I think the smarter strategy here is to just roll with him into the season and see what happens. Because we can afford his contract (it's all salary this year) so if he sits out, we pay nothing for those weeks. And we've shown we'll let him sit out. So it will force him to report. And since he wants to hit FA next year and get paid, he'll report and ball out. Which helps him get a big contract and helps us at least get the 3rd round comp (provided the contract AAV is high enough). Or we get a team with SB aspirations lose their LT and figure trading us a late 2nd to get Trent to help them get to the SB is a risk worth taking.

True, but this OT is being viewed as a generational one. Not like the 2013 one with Joeckel/Fisher at the top.

All are viewed as top flight elite OT prospects. We'll see, I just think a 4th is more likely what we see when this is done given age/market/contract/draft.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

True, but this OT is being viewed as a generational one. Not like the 2013 one with Joeckel/Fisher at the top.

All are viewed as top flight elite OT prospects. We'll see, I just think a 4th is more likely what we see when this is done given age/market/contract/draft.

Yeah, you might be right. Which for me is why I think the smarter strategy is just to force him to report and try a trade during the season. I said earlier, that in my professional life, I've taken nothing before during negotiations rather than let the other side get a sweetheart deal (thinking they could roll me for a song). So that's just me. 

Plus, I don't like Trent.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Trent hasn't played in a year. You keep forgetting that.

Not to mention you are at an impasse with a guy who is pissed and refuses to play. Casey and Campbell were happy where they were and still got shipped for that amount. You're severely overvaluing Trent and undervaluing what Calais does as an edge rusher/pass rusher in general. Those have high value too.

Casey is younger with a more reasonable contract than either.

Protecting the QB is what Trent does that those other guys don't do. So if I'm Tampa Bay or a team as such and I can get Trent Williams to protect Brady for the next 2 years oppose to rookie I'm making that move. I'm not paying Trent 20 million but I'd have no problem extending him based on the fact he should be in top notch shape coming off a full year of recovery. He didn't leave the game as a scrub, he left as one of the best LT's. I won't under value that. Trent has had plenty of time to get in shape and if he really is looking for a extention Is in Great Football Shape. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Just answer the question. Sometimes theres no need to understand Your post. Lets get to #FACTS Tell me the Team willing to trade for Trent and pay him 20 MILLION a year. None that's why he still is a Redskin and should be until we get offered fair vaule for him! 

Why are you arguing with yourself? I never even brought this up. Go back and read my last few posts on this page. I never said there was a team willing to pay Trent $20 some million a year. You won't find it anywhere.

So why are you asking me a question that I've never ever engaged in a discussion about with you and I could not possibly have the answer to.

Your point or question on his makes no sense to me. I agree with you in this, why are you arguing with me?

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Lmao if true.

The question I have is when? This could've been offered while Allen was our team president last year, but regardless of that when we turned this down doesn't really matter I guess, it's stupid either way. We should’ve taken the deal. 

It's a great deal to get a pro bowl caliber talented TE just entering his prime for a pro bowl LT who is on the downside of his career.

damn it! Damn it! DAMN IT! If true!!

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Recently found out we'd only get a 5th round comp pick if Trent walks in 2021.

Wow! If true that's a horrible rule. I'd have to say it's true bc Keim is as close to 100 as it gets in reporting. 

Eff Bruce Allen!

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Recently found out we'd only get a 5th round comp pick if Trent walks in 2021.

Ouch. Good pull by Keim. Okay, if we don't get a 3rd/4th offered to us, then I'm still okay with making him come back and proving himself.

• Like 1