Williams Asks for Extension or Trade

LoganF89

9 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

It does matter because You let High Talent go for a Low reward. Dunbar was still under contract with us just like Trent and we could've held onto him until he became a Free Agent next year. More than likley getting a 3rd or 4th round comp pick in next years draft. 

Comp picks aren’t guaranteed. It’s a complicated formula that involves how much money the Redskins also spend in free agency.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Comp picks aren’t guaranteed. It’s a complicated formula that involves how much money the Redskins also spend in free agency.

If they continue to spend the way they spent this Free Agency, THEY would get a pick. 

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Just wondering, has a feasible list of potential teams been complied from a site. I think there are a couple rough options.

1) Trent Williams for 5th (straight)

2) Trent Williams for 4th + average vet player ($10M, 1 year remaining)

3) Release

That won't happen

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

If they continue to spend the way they spent this Free Agency, THEY would get a pick. 

Not if Trent sits out or only shows up for the last 6 games. The other team has to give him a large contract for him to trigger a 3rd round comp (while we don't sign many players for high contracts). Another team isn't going to give him a large enough contract if he's basically sat out for 2 years

• Like 1

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Not if Trent sits out or only shows up for the last 6 games. The other team has to give him a large contract for him to trigger a 3rd round comp (while we don't sign many players for high contracts). Another team isn't going to give him a large enough contract if he's basically sat out for 2 years

Think someone updated US in the forum that Williams would only net us as High as a 5th round pick. Yet I don't believe that to be the case for Dunbar. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Cool. Like I told you before, nobody on this forum is trading or trading for Trent. So calling fans greedy is quite weird. If it were up to me he’d be gone for Njoku and a third but I don’t make that call. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29c2625a9d385a224a7a

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Sadly, this isn’t even true. 

They’re definitely out there going cheap, but they’re still signing lots of guys who qualify for the comp pick formula. Even though those guys aren’t very good or impactful or expensive, they still cancel out the players we lose. So with this approach, they won’t be receiving any comp picks, no matter how valuable the guys are that leave. 

It is, unfortunately, the worst possible strategic approach to free agency. Don’t sign any impact players AND don’t get the free draft picks for your players leaving. Hopefully they’ll learn in time how to game the system a little better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Sadly, this isn’t even true. 

They’re definitely out there going cheap, but they’re still signing lots of guys who qualify for the comp pick formula. Even though those guys aren’t very good or impactful or expensive, they still cancel out the players we lose. So with this approach, they won’t be receiving any comp picks, no matter how valuable the guys are that leave. 

It is, unfortunately, the worst possible strategic approach to free agency. Don’t sign any impact players AND don’t get the free draft picks for your players leaving. Hopefully they’ll learn in time how to game the system a little better. 

This makes matters worst.

Not sure if I've already posted this here or not...

My understanding is there have been suitors out there for Trent Williams. The trouble is—and I’ll be very clear about this—almost 100% his contract situation. Last year, word circulated that Williams asked the Redskins for quarterback money. And the Redskins found interest over the last few weeks in Williams, only to have suitors push away from the table when apprised of the seven-time Pro Bowl tackle’s financial demands.

Thing is, asking another team for a first- or second-round pick for a player is a lot. You’re giving up a piece of capital that can bring in a young, top player under cost control for the next four or five years—or maybe multiple players, if you trade for, then move the pick. So the player being dealt for has to be good and really valuable to begin with. But if, then, that player wants to break the bank, too? And if he’s in his 30s? Again, it’s a lot. 

That’s not to say Williams may not have a legitimate beef with the team, or that he isn’t worth more than he’s making. It’s just that if he really wants to be traded, he has to realistic about it, and work with the team here, since he’s under contract. If he’s more worried about making top dollar? Then play the year out, and hit the market next March. It’s that simple. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Think someone updated US in the forum that Williams would only net us as High as a 5th round pick. Yet I don't believe that to be the case for Dunbar. 

Ah yes, correct. That was @HTTRDynasty.

Think what you want, but just because Dunny was our best CB doesn't mean that another team with better personnel and a better organization is going to regard him as a true #1 CB. 

Does he have talent? Yes. At times he plays very well. Other times, not so.

Is he always injured? Yes. Last year was his best year and he still missed 5 games.

Given the above, it's not a shocker that a malcontent with the above who is on his remaining year was shipped out of here. And not a shocker that we got a 5th rounder.

Remember, being the #1 CB on this team last year doesn't mean much. I'll give you an analogy.

Snow White stifled a chuckle as Sleepy proudly exclaimed, "I'm the tallest of all seven of us!"