Williams Asks for Extension or Trade

LoganF89

As @Woz mentioned before he went full invisibility mode, this was an ESH situation: Everyone Sucks Here. There’s really no black and white “he was right” and “he was wrong” in this one — Bruce handled it like an a**hole and Trent has handled it like an a**hole. 

The real issue at the moment is that Trent is just being unreasonable now, to the point that apparently no one else thinks he’s worth the trouble either. Which makes sense. Giving a guy the largest OL contract in history when you haven’t seen him take the field in 14 months — and when in the meantime he had such serious cancer that he (allegedly) almost died — is lunacy. Why would anyone want to trade valuable assets for the right to become the sap that gives Trent a 4/$75M deal at age 32 coming off a year of health struggles and rust accumulation?

At this point, with each passing day I feel more and more like LeVeon Bell-ing this guy, just letting him cut off his nose to spite his face and making an example of him. Let him sit out and give up his money this season too, and then try to come back to the NFL at age 33 and see if anybody wants to pay him anymore after two full seasons of inactivity and putting himself over the team. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

As @Woz mentioned before he went full invisibility mode, this was an ESH situation: Everyone Sucks Here. There’s really no black and white “he was right” and “he was wrong” in this one — Bruce handled it like an a**hole and Trent has handled it like an a**hole. 

The real issue at the moment is that Trent is just being unreasonable now, to the point that apparently no one else thinks he’s worth the trouble either. Which makes sense. Giving a guy the largest OL contract in history when you haven’t seen him take the field in 14 months — and when in the meantime he had such serious cancer that he (allegedly) almost died — is lunacy. Why would anyone want to trade valuable assets for the right to become the sap that gives Trent a 4/$75M deal at age 32 coming off a year of health struggles and rust accumulation?

At this point, with each passing day I feel more and more like LeVeon Bell-ing this guy, just letting him cut off his nose to spite his face and making an example of him. Let him sit out and give up his money this season too, and then try to come back to the NFL at age 33 and see if anybody wants to pay him anymore after two full seasons of inactivity and putting himself over the team. 

I wouldn’t LeVeon Bell Trent again, that hurts our team for both the present and long term. That’s what Bruce did last season and it was a mistake. If Trent won’t agree to a contract that pays him about the same that he makes now with more guaranteed $ over the next 3 years, they shouldn’t hesitate to trade Trent. They should not repeat the mistakes of last year. Trent should’ve already been traded last summer or at the latest before the trade deadline and we should have a late 1st or a 2nd for him right now or a starting player and a pick for him.

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Of course the organization handled it poorly, how is that in question?  How many teams last year had their best player sit out and not play?

And we have only the player who sat out's ( in order to get a huge extension) word.

Yeah...forgive me if I don't suck down hook,line and sinker what he says.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

IMO we bring back penn on something like a 5M 1 year deal even if we intend him to ride the pine as a backup.

Donald Penn made $2 million last year, no one else is going to sign him to start, why would you more then double his salary when there's no competition for signing him?

I think signing Conklin to be our starting LT for the next 5 years is the best option and if he isn't great playing LT next year then in 2021 you cut Moses, move Conklin back to RT and draft a LT with your likely top 15 or maybe even top 10 pick.

If we aren't going to do that, I’d rather have Kelvin Beachum then Penn. Beachum used to start at LT for the Steelers and he's also been a serviceable starting LT for the Jets the last 3 years. His cap hit was $9.5 million last year and he's also going to be 31 when the season starts while  Penn is going to be 37. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

We had the worst front office in sports.

Yes. Acknowledged we did. 

I've said that we mismanaged it from the standpoint of not getting rid of Trent.

But you still can't get around the fact that all we have to go on is Trent's word that Bruce mismanaged his injury situation.

The guy who wanted us to back up a Brink's truck and give him tons of money is blaming us for mismanaging the situation (a situation that he refuses to allow an outside party to review).

Reminds me of when my daughter was a toddler and I wouldn't let her have candy. She wanted a "better daddy" because I didn't give in. Pretty sure if you'd asked her then she would've said I mismanaged the situation too. The party not getting their way is the one usually thinking the other side is mismanaging the negotiations.

Same thing here.

My point still stands. Yes, Bruce sucked as a GM. Yes, he should've traded Trent. But what specifically did he mismanage vis-a-vis Trent's injury (which is what the allegation of him mismanaging Trent's situation is rooted in because it is then used to justify giving Trent a big contract as a band-aid)???

Be specific.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes. Acknowledged we did. 

I've said that we mismanaged it from the standpoint of not getting rid of Trent.

But you still can't get around the fact that all we have to go on is Trent's word that Bruce mismanaged his injury situation.

The guy who wanted us to back up a Brink's truck and give him tons of money is blaming us for mismanaging the situation (a situation that he refuses to allow an outside party to review).

Reminds me of when my daughter was a toddler and I wouldn't let her have candy. She wanted a "better daddy" because I didn't give in. Pretty sure if you'd asked her then she would've said I mismanaged the situation too. The party not getting their way is the one usually thinking the other side is mismanaging the negotiations.

Same thing here.

My point still stands. Yes, Bruce sucked as a GM. Yes, he should've traded Trent. But what specifically did he mismanage vis-a-vis Trent's injury (which is what the allegation of him mismanaging Trent's situation is rooted in because it is then used to justify giving Trent a big contract as a band-aid)???

Be specific.

Yes. Bruce was the President of the team, he continued to employ Larry Hess even though most people - including you - had wanted him gone for years. Many have reported that Hess and his team did a poor job not only w/ Trent but with most players on the team with misdiagnosed injuries and not rehabbing them correctly to get them back on the field quicker. Other players on the team acknowledged this too. 

So, yes, I blame Allen for more then just not trading Trent. I blame him for not handling the issue properly for over a year before Trent even decided he didn't want to play last year w/o a contract extension.

Trent trusted the Redskins front office, their trainers/doctors to take care of him, they failed at that for several years. And yes, Trent shares blame bc if he was worried about his growth he should have sought a second and third opinion, but just bc he didn't does not excuse Bruce or the Redskins former training staff’s inadequate handling of the situation either.

On top of that - and I’ve mentioned this before - Trent was on the field when he saw Alex Smith’s leg snap in half. It doesn't shock me at all that w/in a game or two of that happening that Trent was shut down for the season and hasn’t played a game for us since.

Trent hasn't said this publicly but I have to imagine seeing Alex’s injury, knowing that Alex almost died of infection and then Trent himself almost having cancer reach his brain got him to the decision that he had last offseason where he wasn't going to play for the Redskins unless Bruce was gone, Larry Hess was gone and he got some more guaranteed money.

I don't think for one second that for a 32 year old vet LT seeing his Qb probably play his last snap on the field after snapping his leg in half and he himself knowing he had no more guaranteed money on his deal after 2018 led to his decision to hold out until the front office and training staff changes he wanted on the team we’re made and a new deal with guaranteed $ was given to him or, he wouldn't play again for the Redskins.

Edited by turtle28

I’m wit E!!! I’d hate to have a hole there but at this point Bruce is gone we’re talking about a guy who’s lost the love of the game and just wants to cash out. He can do that elsewhere if there’s even a market if we can’t get what we want just shut it down early be done dont even address it’s after you make the decision.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to feel like there's more value for Trent for trading him for a "player", than for draft picks.

I'm wondering if any team would trade 2nd rounder for him because of the risk involved with him.

But EVERY team would trade a player of their own who they don't have plans for, to have a player of Trent's abilities as a LT on their team.

They just don't want to risk draft resources for it. (See: Raiders who traded draft picks for Antonio Brown, who NEVER played a game for them)

My thought...?

Trade Trent for a player...

Trent for WR Diggs

Trent for CB Darius Slay

Both needs that would help this team.

Something like this, actually my present more value for us.

Mainly because Trent wants a gazillion dollar contract restructure.

###TradeTrentToday

Edited by aceinthehouse
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm beginning to feel like there's more value for Trent for trading him for a "player", than for draft picks.

I'm wondering if any team would trade 2nd rounder for him because of the risk involved with him.

But EVERY team would trade a player of their own who they don't have plans for, to have a player of Trent's abilities as a LT on their team.

They just don't want to risk draft resources for it. (See: Raiders who traded draft picks for Antonio Brown, who NEVER played a game for them)

My thought...?

Trade Trent for a player...

Trent for WR Diggs

Trent for CB Darius Slay

Both needs that would help this team.

Something like this, actually my present more value for us.

Mainly because Trent wants a gazillion dollar contract restructure.

###TradeTrentToday

Like Diggs and Trent would be cool but minn can’t pay Trent.

• Like 1