Williams Asks for Extension or Trade

LoganF89

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Terrible GM/President = True

Terrible training staff? True

Terrible medical doctors? Maybe

Doctors are responsible for Trent not getting a 2nd opinion on his bump? False

This was about Trent trying to get more guaranteed $$. It was always about the money. He just used the most convenient excuse as a smokescreen to do it. 

I'm not shocked that he's still asking for guaranteed $$. I knew this was always about that.

I'm more shocked by how many people bought the tugging-at-their-heartstrings story about how the Redskins are responsible for him almost dying and how the team must compensate him for that.

Trent got rid of more than just the cancers on his head. Pay him. It's worth it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Trent got rid of more than just the cancers on his head. Pay him. It's worth it. 

Except it wasn't Trent getting rid of Bruce. Bruce dug his own grave. It wasn't like we were perennial playoff team and nothing wrong and this happened and then Bruce gets fired.

I'm not paying Trent because a GM who should've been fired years ago, got fired. If I'm paying him it's because A) he still can play at a high level and B) he's not going to break the bank. 

A) we have no idea if he can (at least not at the "elite" level everyone seems to remember from a few years ago)

B) he wants to own the bank

If he's still on this team after the trade deadline, we're monumentally stupid.

28 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Except it wasn't Trent getting rid of Bruce. Bruce dug his own grave. It wasn't like we were perennial playoff team and nothing wrong and this happened and then Bruce gets fired.

I'm not paying Trent because a GM who should've been fired years ago, got fired. If I'm paying him it's because A) he still can play at a high level and B) he's not going to break the bank. 

A) we have no idea if he can (at least not at the "elite" level everyone seems to remember from a few years ago)

B) he wants to own the bank

If he's still on this team after the trade deadline, we're monumentally stupid.

The icing on the cake was Trent and how poorly Brice handled that situation. It was the first domino which led to our 3-13 season.

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

When is everyone going to stop doubting me?

EXCUSE ME?!!?! WHEN DID I EVER DOUBT YOU?!?!

But for real, I think you and I were on the same page when Williams didnt want to assist with the investigation into the training staff and his care. You make allegations like that, you're ending a career.

He didnt care about his teammates. He wasnt interested in making the game or players better. He simply wanted to get a new deal. He knows he doesnt have much left and is trying to squeeze every dime out of an NFL team before they realize it.

I would have been fine with that, if hadnt started making career ending accusations against medical personnel. And then run away when given the opportunity to prove them by cooperating with investigators. 

Throughout his tenure here, he has repeatedly made stupid, emotional decisions that put the team in a negative position. This is just the latest, and hopefully the last.

Edited by Slateman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

He gone.

The word “may” sounds like a maybe to me, but not a certainty. If he’s gone, it will be a disappointment.

If Trent is traded and wants to be the highest paid OT in football it’s also going to be hard to trade him for anything more then a 2nd bc of that contract demand, his age, his injury history and that he sat out last year.

If Trent is gone, I’m going to be very worried about protecting Haskins’ blind side this year.

Do we bring back Penn as a stop gap? What OTs can we sign?

Kelvin Beachum is a serviceable stop gap LT. 

Do we sign Jack Conklin and move him to LT? He played LT in college and while he isn’t the greatest athlete, I think he’s athletic enough to play LT in the NFL. I think he can make the switch and be a good LT, but not a great/elite LT like Trent. Jack can certainly be an upgrade over what we had with Penn at LT last year.

I think I’d sign Conklin and play him at LT.

What do others think?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jack-conklin?id=2555279

Scrappy with ability to recover when beaten. Showed Oregon's DeForest Buckner what time it was by bouncing him around at the point of attack. Plays with good core strength and impressive power in his hands. When he latches into defenders framework, he makes it difficult for them to disengage. Works well with guards in combination blocks. Leveraged second level climbs and careful not to climb too high and allow linebackers to slide underneath him. Makes strong initial contact as a run blocker and rolls hips up underneath him to uproot defenders and secure his blocks. Technically sound in pass protection with a wide base and ability to mirror. Consistently shoots inside hand first and lands his punch with good accuracy. Drops anchor like a door jam in pass protection sinking his rear and getting arm extension with inside hand placement.

Bottom Line

Possesses top flight size and strength at the tackle position and has the technique and recovery athleticism to make up for his average foot quickness. Conklin went from solid in 2014 to very good in 2015 and teams must now decide whether or not they want to give him a chance at left tackle or plug him in on the right side where he should be able to step in right away and become a quality starter. Conklin has some physical limitations, but he's got solid technique and exactly the field demeanor that offensive line coaches will be looking for.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The word “may” sounds like a maybe to me, but not a certainty. If he’s gone, it will be a disappointment.

If Trent is traded and wants to be the highest paid OT in football it’s also going to be hard to trade him for anything more then a 2nd bc of that contract demand, his age, his injury history and that he sat out last year.

If Trent is gone, I’m going to be very worried about protecting Haskins’ blind side this year.

Do we bring back Penn as a stop gap? What OTs can we sign?

Kelvin Beachum is a serviceable stop gap LT. 

Do we sign Jack Conklin and move him to LT? He played LT in college and while he isn’t the greatest athlete, I think he’s athletic enough to play LT in the NFL. I think he can make the switch and be a good LT, but not a great/elite LT like Trent. Jack can certainly be an upgrade over what we had with Penn at LT last year.

I think I’d sign Conklin and play him at LT.

What do others think?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jack-conklin?id=2555279

I like the focus, buddy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The icing on the cake was Trent and how poorly Brice handled that situation. It was the first domino which led to our 3-13 season.

Other than not trading him to Cleveland for a 1st, I haven't seen anything other than Trent's accusation that points to Brice handling the situation poorly. I'm not saying he didn't. But we only have Trent's word on that so far and...yeah...

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Other than not trading him to Cleveland for a 1st, I haven't seen anything other than Trent's accusation that points to Brice handling the situation poorly. I'm not saying he didn't. But we only have Trent's word on that so far and...yeah...

Bruce never spoke about Trent at all other then vague statements that ”he knew the truth.” I'm sorry, I can't even fathom saying Bruce didn't handle it wrong except for not trading Trent. Bruce didn't seem to make an effort at all to solve the situation, whether it was giving Trent a new contract or yes, trading him. And if Bruce did, he didn't let it be known, he just acted like Trent would cave bc we'll why? Bc Bruce was Bruce? Look who got canned in the end, and it wasn't Trent.

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

He handled it poorly by letting it linger for a year. They knew before training camp he wasn’t going to play and they kept him for no reason. His value was high, teams wanted him and he did the exact same thing he did to Kirk. Honestly, Dan Snyder doesn’t get a pass in this stupid situation either. All three handled this very poorly and had they been adults about the situation we’d either have Cleveland or New England’s first and Trent would have his new deal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

He handled it poorly by letting it linger for a year. They knew before training camp he wasn’t going to play and they kept him for no reason. His value was high, teams wanted him and he did the exact same thing he did to Kirk. Honestly, Dan Snyder doesn’t get a pass in this stupid situation either. All three handled this very poorly and had they been adults about the situation we’d either have Cleveland or New England’s first and Trent would have his new deal. 

I agree on many aspects:

allen was a historical bad President and GM

Snyder To this point in his tenure is arguable the worst owner in nfl history 

but Trent had a contract. He chose to sign it. He negotiated it, received substantial upfront and guaranteed money and then decided unilaterally not to honor his contract. 

if this was an auto accident there is a term called contributory negligence- meaning all parties share the blame. In this case I’d assign the values as 

Allen 10%
Snyder 1%
Trent 89%

if I was on the medical or training staff and lost my job because of Trents statements and actions/ I’d be lawyering up and presenting a legal claim

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Again, I already stipulated I agree that not trading him was a bad move.

But the allegations were that he handled Trents specific issue poorly (not the trading him part)

56 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Again, I already stipulated I agree that not trading him was a bad move.

But the allegations were that he handled Trents specific issue poorly (not the trading him part)

Of course the organization handled it poorly, how is that in question?  How many teams last year had their best player sit out and not play?