2020 NFL Combine Noteworthy Results & Talk

Mind Character

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you are saying here, as right now we have many needs. As others have pointed out, though, some positions are more important than others, and every team has deficiencies, even Super Bowl winners.

tl;dr no reason to think we can't compete if we only solve some but not all of our problems

Every year there are players that make leaps in-production, and there are players who were injured in the past, such as Tyrann Mathieu, who get a healthy season in and go back to elite form. Could this be Olivier Vernon this year? Could Mack Wilson make the jump? Could Sione Takitaki make the jump? Could Drew Forbes make the jump? Could Larry Ogunjobi return to form? Could Greedy become a shutdown corner in year two? Could Sheldon Richardson play better in this new scheme? Could Baker Mayfield turn into the quarterback that we expect him to be with a better scheme and better structure?

tl;dr our team could easily be better than it looked last year

And could Odell Beckham return to old form with a healthy season and better structure? I mean, I'm of the mind that Odell could put up 1,400 yards and 12 touchdowns this year if he stays healthy. I absolutely would not trade that potential for around maybe pick 40 in value.

tl;dr never sell low unless the stock will likely lose more value

In fact, I will double down in saying that I believe that he'll be better than all but maybe three of the receivers in the entire draft, deeper class or not. I absolutely do not want to trade him for a Denzel Mims, and I like Mims a lot. Now, if we could get straight value to grab Ruggs for him, I'd consider that. But there's no reason to believe that that is possible at this point.

The fact that the receiver class is so deep will only drive his value down this offseason. That's why Davonta Smith returned to Alabama. He saw that his value would be maximized next year with a weaker draft class at receiver. We've got to look at it the same way as far as trading our best receivers. Nobody wants them right now so we might as well not upset the team chemistry anymore in a first-year head coach experience.

tl;dr addition by addition; let's throw our hat in the receiver pile but not abandon what we have for dart throws alone

Jarvis is the heart and soul of this team right now. Trading him is probably number one on my list of bad culture ideas for this team. and of course as a realist who was even willing to discuss trading Nick Chubb, I add the caveat that a do-it-all slot guy like Landry just does not have max value in the trade market, and so realistically if we can't get better than a 2nd rounder for him, it's not really worth even entertaining the conversation to ruffle feathers with him and Odell.

tl;dr we need strong leaders now more than ever

Also, for all the folks who are actually thinking Baker is not going to work out, it seems counterintuitive to not only have a poor offensive line but then to strip him of his best receiving targets and then expect to get an accurate read on what we have going forward. I would like to focus on the offensive line this offseason, add a receiver in the draft, hopefully one of our boys like Mims, Hamler, Raegor, Bowden Jr., Pittman Jr. etc. with pick 70--I bet at least one makes it there in this class--and build on what we have for at least one more year before stripping it down to the studs.

tl;dr let's surround Baker with good coaching and talented offensive players and then see how he does

IMO, we can't go into year three of our number one pick quarterback and start a rebuild. It just doesn't make sense to me. If after another year to it turns out that Baker isn't going to work out, that is when we strip it down and go to build with a bunch of young players. Our cap is fine. We have money to spend and not many players to re-sign, so now is the time to see what we have and see if we can make this team a playoff team and hope to get hot in the playoffs with a few positions of strength, such as the entire offense hopefully and a good pass-rush mixed with good coverage.

tl;dr I believe we have a shot at the playoffs this year and going forward with just a few tweaks

I agree with most of what you've said, and I've made many of the points you've made in the past.

I've advocated that it would be madness to trade OBJ when his value is extremely low, as well as have made the point that Jarvis is the heart of the team's winning culture mindset. Any move with OBJ or Jarvis would likely entail moving on from the other.

Trading OBJ + Jarvis Landry for in theory Henry Ruggs + Denzel Mims was more of a thought experiment regarding the timeline it may take for the roster to be built to a sustainable winning level and whether or not with  Jarvis' contract expiring in two seasons he and/or OBJ would be a part of the longterm roster building timeline.

There's value to keeping them, but I think it's more debatable than I'd ever once considered that getting 2 young core pieces in return for their great work/contributions elsewhere might actually be in the best interest of longterm sustained winning and roster-building.

As with all things, there's risk but for me it would be something that I'd think about if I were Andrew Berry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

Rushing the passer is so dang important in the nfl that I wouldn’t be mad... but we HAVE to get two starting caliber OT, two starting safeties, our LB corps is in flux, DT is thin....

I believe our LB corps could look a lot better this year by only adding one free agent. And I hope we spend on a guy like Scherf as well as Vaitai, cut Hubbard and then grab a guy in the draft high at OT. Hopefully our scheme masks deficiencies on the line. If we got Chase, it's game over on the DL. I believe Larry looks solid again and would also like to add one more guy either through the draft or FA. 

tl;dr done and done

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

They’re going to have to have one H E C K of a free agency period. Pardon my language.

😠😡😤

That's a week on desk duty.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Trading OBJ + Jarvis Landry for in theory Henry Ruggs + Denzel Mims was more of a thought experiment regarding the timeline it may take for the roster to be built to a sustainable winning level and whether or not with  Jarvis' contract expiring in two seasons he and/or OBJ would be a part of the longterm roster building timeline.

There's value to keeping them, but I think it's more debatable than I'd ever once considered that getting 2 young core pieces in return for their great work/contributions elsewhere might actually be in the best interest of longterm sustained winning and roster-building.

😠😡😤

You philosophy nerds and your H E C K I N ' thought experiments.

If we could trade OBJ for Ruggs, I would, but I don't think we can so think the thought experiment must die there. And I wouldn't trade Landry for Mims, but we can disagree there. But yeah, we can't get that value, so that's kinda that.

If we can get the same value from trading Chubb alone than I can for trading our WR tandem, I trade Chubb every time. I may be wrong and there is no market for Chubb, but I see the compensation as being about the same. I want the picks too.

If Dobbins is available mid-2nd and the trade is prearranged, Chubb for 2nd, 3rd, '21 2nd and sign me up, draft Dobbins and then a receiver, maybe another one later on too to hedge for next year when we may revisit this WR-tandem trade.

tl;dr just fapping on a Friday 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

Everyone's favorite (except mine) all-buttcheeks "uber-athletic" Tackle Trey Adams with the 5.6 Sun Dial time.

Nah...we all hate him too now, thanks to you and that term of yours 😁.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Checked in at 17% BF at that weight too. Which is damn impressive 

What?!

17% BF on a 6'7" 364 pound frame is kind of wild.

5.10, 40 yard dash is wild too.

His short area quickness and coordination isn't as explosive or twitchy as that high speed 40 yard dash would suggest though.

I don't think there's any way Dave "Hog Molly Groupie Extraordinaire" Gettleman is passing up on him at 4.

I don't see any way that Becton or Wills go lower than top-8.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Everyone's favorite (except mine) all-buttcheeks "uber-athletic" Tackle Trey Adams with the 5.6 Sun Dial time.

Yeah I just watched a ton of the lineman I haven't looked at yet

I've basically come to this realization 

Wills Becton and Thomas

are they only tackles that I just at LT day one

Wirfs is probably best at guard and he'd be Zack Martin level

Austin Jackson and Prince A are worth drafting, but I wouldn't trust them day 1 at all

Everyone else basically sucks 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I don't think there's any way Dave "Hog Molly Groupie Extraordinaire" Gettleman is passing up on him at 4.

I agree I dont see Gettleman passing on Becton he just looks like a Gettleman pick all day long. Plus they need help there. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

What?!

17% BF on a 6'7" 364 pound frame is kind of wild.

5.10, 40 yard dash is wild too.

His short area quickness and coordination isn't as explosive or twitchy as that high speed 40 yard dash would suggest though.

• Like 1