2020 NFL Combine Noteworthy Results & Talk

Mind Character

FA:

Chris Harris - mutual interest 

Anthony Harris - see above 

Get Kirksey to restructure - this might be a more reasonable scenario than paying Schobert 30 mil + guaranteed

Jack Conklin - it’s sad but we need TWO tackles 🤦🏼‍♂️- I’d also trade for Trent Williams if the price isn’t astronomical 

Draft:

1. Tristan Wirfs or Mekhi Becton - get  a stud OT please

2. Adam Trautman - like him over Hooper in FA 

3. Jalen Reagor - find a PR and a #3 WR. Could fall due to others rising and not running a sub 4.4 like some expected.

3. Marlon Davidson - Hard hat and lunch pail, high effort guy. 4 year starter. Understudy to Richardson

4. Alex Highsmith DE Charlotte - diamond in the rough that played well against tough competition. 

16 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Trading Jarvis is throwing in the towel in the locker room. Nerds are smart enough to realize that and would never trade him. Odell could be dealt, but I'd sure like to see him in a functioning offense first. 

His stock is at an all time low. It would Be a Busch league thing to do. He still had over 1,000 yards.

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t view some of these positions as all that important, difficult to fill, or necessary to compete.

Not to mention, you’ll always have holes. Hell Kansas City technically has holes at RB, interior offensive line, linebacker, and CB. They’re a Tyreek Hill injury away from a bad WR core.

Indeed and of course a team will always have needs.

I guess the central question to me is:

1.) "Will the Browns fill those needs (i.e., LT, RT, RG, FS, SS, DE, WLB, MLB, SLB, TE, and DT) in such a way that they'll want to resign Jarvis Landry at age 30 as he heads into his expiring contract year in the next two football seasons?

We have this upcoming football season year 2020-2021 and then the year after that 2021-2022. That's it.

I just believe the roster-building to fill many of those needs in ways that lead to sustainable winning is going to take longer than 1-2 seasons. Therefore, putting Jarvis (and Odell since they'll be a pair) on a different timeline than the rest of the core part of the team.

Thus, ultimately, after resisting such thoughts about trading Jarvis and OBJ, the state of the roster now makes me think it may be in the best long-term interest of the team to trade them sooner rather than later. This is especially the case because of the WR talent in this years draft. Now, with their value being at an apparent all time low it seems unlikely. However, if we could turn OBJ and Jarvis into a Henry Ruggs, Justin Jefferson/Denzel Mims, and mid-round guy even though they'd be far lesser talents such a move may better serve the longterm interest and roster-building timeline of the team imo.

Keeping Jarvis and OBJ over the course of the next two years makes sure the team doesn't completely bottom out due to the inexperience of rookie WR starters and stays around the 7-win mark which for a weary and beaten down fan-base has tremendous value.

Keeping Jarvis and OBJ also seemingly helps Baker's development over the course of the next 2 years (although it's questionable whether or not he'd really suffer all that much if the Browns could acquire quality impact WRs in the draft in lieu of OBJ and Jarvis' impact on the field).

Edited by Mind Character

3 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Did you guys see Mitchell Wilcox run the gauntlet?

😂🤣😭

Hes gonna drop but he’s gonna be good. Get him late. Great blocker.

I would love to be able to grab him in the sixth or seventh round. He crapped his pants but has good tape. In fact, if we can end up with a few more pics in this draft, I wouldn't be against grabbing someone in the third or fourth round at tight end and then a late-round grab like Wilcox.

3 hours ago, pnies20 said:

FA:

Chris Harris - mutual interest 

Anthony Harris - see above 

Get Kirksey to restructure - this might be a more reasonable scenario than paying Schobert 30 mil + guaranteed

Jack Conklin - it’s sad but we need TWO tackles 🤦🏼‍♂️- I’d also trade for Trent Williams if the price isn’t astronomical 

Draft:

1. Tristan Wirfs or Mekhi Becton - get  a stud OT please

2. Adam Trautman - like him over Hooper in FA 

3. Jalen Reagor - find a PR and a #3 WR. Could fall due to others rising and not running a sub 4.4 like some expected.

3. Marlon Davidson - Hard hat and lunch pail, high effort guy. 4 year starter. Understudy to Richardson

4. Alex Highsmith DE Charlotte - diamond in the rough that played well against tough competition. 

I believe the other tight ends, as well as the receivers, running so far is going to make Trautman drop a good deal. I like all those guys at those spots other than Trautman, whom I believe may make it to our late third. 

I hope we somehow ended up with a few more mid and late-round picks to maximize what is looking like a pretty deep class.

Some here are wanting to blow their wads on wide receivers who ran faster than expected, and I feel the exact opposite. If somehow 20 wide receivers go in the first two rounds, so be it. That means that they are being drafted at their actual value and not based on a very deep draft class. I only want a wide receiver if he is great value. Now that guys like Denzel Mims and Chase Claypool had an elite combine to match their elite tape, I absolutely do not want to grab those guys to rounds higher than I was hoping before. That would defeat the entire purpose of having these guys as sleepers. Someone else can draft them at actual value. My whole name in the draft is to get plus-value.

I am hoping that Jalen reagor falls to the third as well, based on this draft class, and I would steal him up right there. I never liked him for our second round pick or as a late first-rounder but love him at pick 70. I believe in a normal year he would be a mid second-rounder and am happy to get some value there. All those tight ends and wide receivers running with their pants on fire can only make Adam Trautman great value. Let the others grab Albert Okbuegnam a round higher.

Also, holy moly did Marlon Davidson surprise in weighing in over 300 lb LOL.

Edited by NudeTayne

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Indeed and of course a team will always have needs.

I guess the central question to me is:

1.) "Will the Browns fill those needs (i.e., LT, RT, RG, FS, SS, DE, WLB, MLB, SLB, TE, and DT) in such a way that they'll want to resign Jarvis Landry at age 30 as he heads into his expiring contract year in the next two football seasons?

We have this upcoming football season year 2020-2021 and then the year after that 2021-2022. That's it.

I just believe the roster-building to fill many of those needs in ways that lead to sustainable winning is going to take longer than 1-2 seasons. Therefore, putting Jarvis (and Odell since they'll be a pair) on a different timeline than the rest of the core part of the team.

Thus, ultimately, after resisting such thoughts about trading Jarvis and OBJ, the state of the roster now makes me think it may be in the best long-term interest of the team to trade them sooner rather than later. This is especially the case because of the WR talent in this years draft. Now, with their value being at an apparent all time low it seems unlikely. However, if we could turn OBJ and Jarvis into a Henry Ruggs, Justin Jefferson/Denzel Mims, and mid-round guy even though they'd be far lesser talents such a move may better serve the longterm interest and roster-building timeline of the team imo.

Keeping Jarvis and OBJ over the course of the next two years makes sure the team doesn't completely bottom out due to the inexperience of rookie WR starters and stays around the 7-win mark which for a weary and beaten down fan-base has tremendous value.

I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you are saying here, as right now we have many needs. As others have pointed out, though, some positions are more important than others, and every team has deficiencies, even Super Bowl winners.

tl;dr no reason to think we can't compete if we only solve some but not all of our problems

Every year there are players that make leaps in-production, and there are players who were injured in the past, such as Tyrann Mathieu, who get a healthy season in and go back to elite form. Could this be Olivier Vernon this year? Could Mack Wilson make the jump? Could Sione Takitaki make the jump? Could Drew Forbes make the jump? Could Larry Ogunjobi return to form? Could Greedy become a shutdown corner in year two? Could Sheldon Richardson play better in this new scheme? Could Baker Mayfield turn into the quarterback that we expect him to be with a better scheme and better structure?

tl;dr our team could easily be better than it looked last year

And could Odell Beckham return to old form with a healthy season and better structure? I mean, I'm of the mind that Odell could put up 1,400 yards and 12 touchdowns this year if he stays healthy. I absolutely would not trade that potential for around maybe pick 40 in value.

tl;dr never sell low unless the stock will likely lose more value

In fact, I will double down in saying that I believe that he'll be better than all but maybe three of the receivers in the entire draft, deeper class or not. I absolutely do not want to trade him for a Denzel Mims, and I like Mims a lot. Now, if we could get straight value to grab Ruggs for him, I'd consider that. But there's no reason to believe that that is possible at this point.

The fact that the receiver class is so deep will only drive his value down this offseason. That's why Davonta Smith returned to Alabama. He saw that his value would be maximized next year with a weaker draft class at receiver. We've got to look at it the same way as far as trading our best receivers. Nobody wants them right now so we might as well not upset the team chemistry anymore in a first-year head coach experience.

tl;dr addition by addition; let's throw our hat in the receiver pile but not abandon what we have for dart throws alone

Jarvis is the heart and soul of this team right now. Trading him is probably number one on my list of bad culture ideas for this team. and of course as a realist who was even willing to discuss trading Nick Chubb, I add the caveat that a do-it-all slot guy like Landry just does not have max value in the trade market, and so realistically if we can't get better than a 2nd rounder for him, it's not really worth even entertaining the conversation to ruffle feathers with him and Odell.

tl;dr we need strong leaders now more than ever

Also, for all the folks who are actually thinking Baker is not going to work out, it seems counterintuitive to not only have a poor offensive line but then to strip him of his best receiving targets and then expect to get an accurate read on what we have going forward. I would like to focus on the offensive line this offseason, add a receiver in the draft, hopefully one of our boys like Mims, Hamler, Raegor, Bowden Jr., Pittman Jr. etc. with pick 70--I bet at least one makes it there in this class--and build on what we have for at least one more year before stripping it down to the studs.

tl;dr let's surround Baker with good coaching and talented offensive players and then see how he does

IMO, we can't go into year three of our number one pick quarterback and start a rebuild. It just doesn't make sense to me. If after another year to it turns out that Baker isn't going to work out, that is when we strip it down and go to build with a bunch of young players. Our cap is fine. We have money to spend and not many players to re-sign, so now is the time to see what we have and see if we can make this team a playoff team and hope to get hot in the playoffs with a few positions of strength, such as the entire offense hopefully and a good pass-rush mixed with good coverage.

tl;dr I believe we have a shot at the playoffs this year and going forward with just a few tweaks

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Im telling yall 

If Chase Young falls to 3 

I'll trade a 2021 first round pick for him

and not think twice 

Same-same, especially if we can get some trade value from Schobert. Young is going to be WHOA.

Right now, the perception is that our first next year could be top-10. I'd love to trade it and maximize value if the right trade presents itself. 10, 90 and '21 first for pick 3 and I'm on it.

6 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I don't think the nerds would do it.

And neither would I.

As the guy with the highest IQ in ff history, I'd be all over it.

Edited by NudeTayne
Intolerance quotient

15 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I don't think the nerds would do it.

And neither would I.

Man really he’s a HOF player. 

I know it’d be expensive and we’d have to wait on o line, but man it me 

Chase Young and Isaiah Simmons are HOF level defenders that we won’t be able to get later. 

we can find starting level o lineman in FA and Later in the draft. Your not getting a Chase Young or Simmons later. 

CHASE YOUNG AND MYLES GARRETT

Cmon man we’d have to DPOY level players competing against each other on the same team for the award. 

id trade a 2021 first for young and for Simmons I’d trade our third rounder this year 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Same-same, especially if we can get some trade value from Schobert. Young is going to be WHOA.

Right now, the perception is that our first next year could be top-10. I'd love to trade it and maximize value if the right trade presents itself. 10, 90 and '21 first for pick 3 and I'm on it.

As the guy with the highest IQ in ff history, I'd be all over it.

Rushing the passer is so dang important in the nfl that I wouldn’t be mad... but we HAVE to get two starting caliber OT, two starting safeties, our LB corps is in flux, DT is thin....

They’re going to have to have one H E C K of a free agency period. Pardon my language.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Rushing the passer is so dang important in the nfl that I wouldn’t be mad... but we HAVE to get two starting caliber OT, two starting safeties, our LB corps is in flux, DT is thin....

They’re going to have to have one H E C K of a free agency period. Pardon my language.

This is a family friendly site sir.

• Like 1