MID - Combine MOCK

squire12

Just now, squire12 said:

Not really replacing King.  Provides insurance if King does not stay healthy or does not show further progress for 2021.

Jaire, King, Mackenzie Alexander, Sullivan, Hollman is the 2020 CB group.

I understand that, but we're not going to pay two corners north of 10m per year in 2021 with Jaire on the roster too, so essentially we are replacing KK with Mackensie Alexander. You have them all for one year, which is fine. 

9 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I understand that, but we're not going to pay two corners north of 10m per year in 2021 with Jaire on the roster too, so essentially we are replacing KK with Mackensie Alexander. You have them all for one year, which is fine. 

Fair point.  I guess I am looking at getting Alexander at $10M per year vs what King might want with a new CBA and TV money.  

Kevin King

2018  passer rating 94.3 in 304 snaps (29%)

2019 passer rating 84.6 in 805 snaps (77%)

Mackensie Alexander

2018  passer rating 83.8 in 565 snaps (54%)

2019 passer rating 84.3 in 534 snaps (49%)

I think they are pretty comparable players

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Fair point.  I guess I am looking at getting Alexander at $10M per year vs what King might want with a new CBA and TV money.  

Kevin King

Mackensie Alexander

KK's ceiling to me is a LOT higher than Mackensie. His body alone makes him more valuable, but yeah his issue is staying healthy. King's ceiling with his length and speed has always been a top few corner in the NFL if everything came together, which granted at this point isn't likely to happen

6 hours ago, squire12 said:

Kevin King

Mackensie Alexander

But Alexander was Minnesota's 3rd Corner back guarding the other team's third receiver or Worse. King was a starter number two cornerback. I just saw too much of Alexander not making plays. I don't like any of Vikings on the team.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Not sure what you are seeing.   You have made these comments on just about every thread regarding Blacklock and Davis.

Blacklock is a lot better player than Davis.   You seem to be bothered by TCU's slanting scheme.

Davis is slow footed and gets handled 1 v1 by college OL.   Blacklock is consistently getting doubled and still making his presence felt.

Go look at Blacklock's Baylor tape. You'll see a dude riding the ball carrier down instead of stuffing him at first contact. That has nothing to do with scheme 

Also, Davis is anything but slow footed and playing next to Clark would open a lot of opportunities for him to use his mass and power to destroy the interior OL...

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Go look at Blacklock's Baylor tape. You'll see a dude riding the ball carrier down instead of stuffing him at first contact. That has nothing to do with scheme 

Also, Davis is anything but slow footed and playing next to Clark would open a lot of opportunities for him to use his mass and power to destroy the interior OL...

Just watched the every defensive rep from the Baylor game (unless there were a bunch of snaps missing, but it was the only video I found?...

So two shoestring tackles that he was only able to make because of his length and effort level, and one where he hit the QB from behind as the QB was running forward and the momentum carried them both 2-3 yards, and that means he's a constant drag down tackler?  Surely you can't be serious.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Just watched the every defensive rep from the Baylor game (unless there were a bunch of snaps missing, but it was the only video I found?...

So two shoestring tackles that he was only able to make because of his length and effort level, and one where he hit the QB from behind as the QB was running forward and the momentum carried them both 2-3 yards, and that means he's a constant drag down tackler?  Surely you can't be serious.

There were several running plays where he was easily pushed out of the box and when he wasn't, he was riding the ball carrier. Watch the tape again.

Also, TDN points out why I'm seeing this stuff:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ross-blacklock/t7ydLnDRk4

Zierlein's a bit tougher on him than I am as I really don't question his strength. It's his run defense that's the problem.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ross-blacklock?id=3219424c-4124-6567-64a2-94c97f8f8038

8 hours ago, Joe said:

There were several running plays where he was easily pushed out of the box and when he wasn't, he was riding the ball carrier. Watch the tape again.

Also, TDN points out why I'm seeing this stuff:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ross-blacklock/t7ydLnDRk4

Zierlein's a bit tougher on him than I am as I really don't question his strength. It's his run defense that's the problem.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ross-blacklock?id=3219424c-4124-6567-64a2-94c97f8f8038

I don't see where TDN says he's a bad run defender.  Zierlein does but it sounds like he's knocking him for not consistently stacking and shedding which in reality is because he was playing within TCU's defensive scheme which has their linemen run slants on basically every play.

As far as the Baylor tape, I've watched it twice (the Ross Blacklock TCU vs Baylor YouTube video) and he makes exactly 4 tackles in that game: two shoestring tackles, one where, like I said before, he hits the QB from behind while the QB is running forward and the momentum carries them both for a few yards, and one where he and basically everyone else on the defense stacks up the running back around the LOS.  He was double teamed on almost every play in that game and Baylor ran away from him A LOT.  If there is another video of that game that shows more please link it to me so I'm not missing anything.

For yet another perspective on Blacklock here's a link to PFF's write up about him (he's #5), where they gave him a run defense grade of 89.5 in 2019, which, according to them, was one of the highest in the country:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-position-rankings-interior-defenders

Oh, and as for Raekwon Davis, I want to like him so bad, but when I watch him I can't help but feel like I'm watching a Ferrari drive 25 mph in a 75 mph zone.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

9 hours ago, Joe said:

I've watched the tape on both.  We definitely aren't seeing the same thing.    Davis is not a guy I'd be interested in spending an early pick on.  If he slides to the 4th, maybe start to think about taking a flyer.

Watch the Auburn-Alabama game again, and still tell me that Davis looks like a future quality DL.