Jump to content
theJ

Non-Bengal Free Agents

Recommended Posts

We all know the Bengals will likely sign back some of their own.  There's a thread for that already.

The Free Agency period starts on March 18th - 2 1/2 weeks away.  I thought i'd create a thread about this, because from all indications it does appear that the Bengals may be more active than usual in Free Agency.  

Who are some of the guys you think they may target?  Obviously no top end, crazy money, day 1/2 guys.  But who are the 2nd/3rd tier guys you can see them targetting.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict we sign Graham Glasgow to a pretty decent contract.  His brother is on the team already, he's graded well the last couple of years, fills a big need at LG, and opens up draft options at 33 and 65.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My top targets would be:

Graham Glasgow - G
There's an obvious connection to the team here with his brother on the roster.  So it may not be as hard to convince him to come.  Would be a big improvement over what's on the roster now.

Joe Schobert - LB
Three down LB.  Would probably take a little more to convince him to come.  $$$

Trae Waynes - CB
One option at CB.  A slight upgrade over Kirkpatrick, and younger.

Eli Apple - CB
See above

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I predict we sign Graham Glasgow to a pretty decent contract.  His brother is on the team already, he's graded well the last couple of years, fills a big need at LG, and opens up draft options at 33 and 65.

Yeah i was typing that out when someone interrupted me.  He's probably the one obvious target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been trying to keep an eye on the players who will be cut. Better chance we sign someone who’s been released. Generally cheaper and won’t affect the comp formula.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yeah i was typing that out when someone interrupted me.  He's probably the one obvious target.

Maybe.  If we actually target an OG, then he should be clearly target #1.  But the coaches are all talking about guys taking the next step on the o-line.  I take that to mean they want to see Jordan develop, and Price do something as he should finally be 100% healthy.  We already have Miller, so signing Glascow blocks both Price and Jordan from the starting lineup.  

 

Schobert is my clear #1 overall target.  getting him ensures we don't have to reach for a guy on the draft, and signong him doesn't stop them from taking Queen or Murray if one slides to 33.  If they don't slide to 33, then we can wait for a guy like Dye in the fourth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

I’ve been trying to keep an eye on the players who will be cut. Better chance we sign someone who’s been released. Generally cheaper and won’t affect the comp formula.

I don't think that's nearly in play as much as in past years, simply because we aren't slated to lose anyone, unless they let Green walk.  Signing any of the guys listed above isn't going to  get cancelled out by signing  top outside FAs.  I don't think we have anyone who could leave that would net anything better than a fifth or sixth, so be aggressive. 

 

Go after the cut guys who don't affect the comp pick formula on years when you lose a few big name guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I don't think that's nearly in play as much as in past years, simply because we aren't slated to lose anyone, unless they let Green walk.  Signing any of the guys listed above isn't going to  get cancelled out by signing  top outside FAs.  I don't think we have anyone who could leave that would net anything better than a fifth or sixth, so be aggressive. 

Go after the cut guys who don't affect the comp pick formula on years when you lose a few big name guys

Good point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Maybe.  If we actually target an OG, then he should be clearly target #1.  But the coaches are all talking about guys taking the next step on the o-line.  I take that to mean they want to see Jordan develop, and Price do something as he should finally be 100% healthy.  We already have Miller, so signing Glascow blocks both Price and Jordan from the starting lineup.  

 

Schobert is my clear #1 overall target.  getting him ensures we don't have to reach for a guy on the draft, and signong him doesn't stop them from taking Queen or Murray if one slides to 33.  If they don't slide to 33, then we can wait for a guy like Dye in the fourth.

I don't think the coach speak plays into whether they pursue a guard.  They're obviously going to talk up the guys who are under contract for 2020.  FA's aren't guaranteed, and they may not find a value guy in the draft.  

Guard is a position where you can find some value in FA, and we know the Bengals love value signings.  I don't know if it will be Glasgow, but i think they sign someone to come in and start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players I feel we may target. 
 

LB Alec Ogletree
LB Nick Kwiatkowski
G Graham Glasgow
QB Case Keenum 
OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai
EDGE Shaq Lawson
DE Noah Spence
CB Trae Waynes 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, johndeere1707 said:

QB Case Keenum 

I get the feeling they aren't going to pursue a vet QB.  They're going to let Finley and Dolegala duke it out for the #2 spot.  Maybe carry 3 again.

7 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai

I'll take him just for the name alone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can sign a Glasgow and continue to develop Jordan to take over for when Miller is gone.  Odds all 5 linemen stay healthy the entire season are slim anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaq Lawson would be an awesome addition. Spotrac has his market value set at $7.6 million annually. That’s doable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
54 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

LB Nick Kwiatkowski

Not a big name but living in Chicago, he's been a solid LB.  I doubt Chicago lets him walk, but if so we absolutely look to sign him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...