Non-Bengal Free Agents

theJ

Bengals can easily afford Clowney but aren't likely to sign him.

Mixon is in line for around 9 mil per year on his extension. WJ3 for about 10-11 mil per year. Green should be less than 18 mil per year since he's in decline. 

The bottom line is the Bengals have lots of cap space once Dalton is gone. That's without even getting to bad contracts for other players like Hart, Uzomah, and Gio.

39 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Mixon is in line for around 9 mil per year on his extension. WJ3 for about 10-11 mil per year. Green should be less than 18 mil per year since he's in decline. 

The bottom line is the Bengals have lots of cap space once Dalton is gone. That's without even getting to bad contracts for other players like Hart, Uzomah, and Gio.

We already have Clowney on the roster. His name is Carlos Dunlap.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

This is admittedly simple math, but here's how i figure it:

@BengalsBite mentioned 25M available after Dalton is released.  I'll run with that.

Figure $10M for rookie deals.

15M left.  They like to keep a few million back for in-season signings.  So call it 12M left.

Joe has a 1.7M cap hit.  If he gets 9M, that's a 7.2M delta.

WJIII makes 9.9M, so a 1M delta on your numbers.

Green i figure is net 0, since a new deal will have a similar cap number to the franchise tag.

Clowney is asking for something like 17M (which is ridiculous for his production, but it is what it is).

Add that all up, and i figure they'd be 13M OVER the cap (so they can't afford him).  But maybe my math is too simple?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theJ said:

This is admittedly simple math, but here's how i figure it:

@BengalsBite mentioned 25M available after Dalton is released.  I'll run with that.

Figure $10M for rookie deals.

15M left.  They like to keep a few million back for in-season signings.  So call it 12M left.

Joe has a 1.7M cap hit.  If he gets 9M, that's a 7.2M delta.

WJIII makes 9.9M, so a 1M delta on your numbers.

Green i figure is net 0, since a new deal will have a similar cap number to the franchise tag.

Clowney is asking for something like 17M (which is ridiculous for his production, but it is what it is).

Add that all up, and i figure they'd be 13M OVER the cap (so they can't afford him).  But maybe my math is too simple?

Looks right to me.  Dalton released or restructured just to sign rookies. Rest for any extensions,  potential injury replacement and rollover. We're done adding for now. 

Er, I don't think the Bengals will or should sign Clowney. But they could afford him without too much trouble. He'll probably cost 18-19 mil per year on a new deal for 4 or 5 years. But he doesn't have to cost that much in year 1. 

Team is 7.7 mil under cap now. Cutting Dalton saves 17.7 mil. We'll likely draft a new RT and Hart makes too much to be a backup. So cutting him saves 3.8 mil this year and more next year. The Bengals rookie pool is about 12.2 mil with Burrow counting over 7 of that.

Green is on franchise tag at present for 17.9 mil. His open market value is lower than that, probably 15 mil tops. So we sign him to a 4 year deal like he's asking for with an average of 15 mil and slightly backloaded or tied to availability. If he's healthy and productive, he'd see at least 2-3 years of that deal, probably all 4. 

Mixon and WJ3 are on still on the rise (hopefully) so we can offer backloaded deals. Let's say we pay Mixon 9 mil average with 7.5 mil cap number for 2020. WJ3 gets 11 mil average and 9 mil cap number.  Those would put us more than 20 mil under the cap with room for Clowney's contract. I'd also cut Uzomah and Gio and free up another 6 mil in 2020. 

15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Er, I don't think the Bengals will or should sign Clowney. But they could afford him without too much trouble. He'll probably cost 18-19 mil per year on a new deal for 4 or 5 years. But he doesn't have to cost that much in year 1. 

Team is 7.7 mil under cap now. Cutting Dalton saves 17.7 mil. We'll likely draft a new RT and Hart makes too much to be a backup. So cutting him saves 3.8 mil this year and more next year. The Bengals rookie pool is about 12.2 mil with Burrow counting over 7 of that.

Green is on franchise tag at present for 17.9 mil. His open market value is lower than that, probably 15 mil tops. So we sign him to a 4 year deal like he's asking for with an average of 15 mil and slightly backloaded or tied to availability. If he's healthy and productive, he'd see at least 2-3 years of that deal, probably all 4. 

Mixon and WJ3 are on still on the rise (hopefully) so we can offer backloaded deals. Let's say we pay Mixon 9 mil average with 7.5 mil cap number for 2020. WJ3 gets 11 mil average and 9 mil cap number.  Those would put us more than 20 mil under the cap with room for Clowney's contract. I'd also cut Uzomah and Gio and free up another 6 mil in 2020. 

I see what you mean now, thanks.  The contract structure would be a bit atypical for the Bengals, but i agree it's possible.

• 5 weeks later...

Saints have cut Larry Warford. Bengals should have offered a late round pick swap to get him in trade. He was only scheduled to make 7.75 mil this season. He was voted to the pro bowl each of the last 3 years. 

It will be much harder for the team to get him on the open market and he'll probably cost more. At the moment the Bengals don't really have a starting RG. The plan seems to be to move XSF there but he's always been a LG in the league. He's also not nearly as good as Warford. 

13 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I can't imagine they scratch the XSF plan a few months after they signed him. 

His deal was cheap.  Ready made to replace if they find someone they like better.  Heck, maybe Fred Johnson or Billy Price start over him.  But i agree, it's not going to be Warford.  

2 hours ago, theJ said:

His deal was cheap.  Ready made to replace if they find someone they like better.  Heck, maybe Fred Johnson or Billy Price start over him.  But i agree, it's not going to be Warford.  

I just can't see it either.  That money is earmarked for Mixon.