Non-Bengal Free Agents

theJ

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I love how  Mixon is openly recruiting other players.  Shows a passion for success here. It would be ok to get an fa from Cleveland for a change.

It's one many things he does that makes me overlook the grim history of paying running backs. He's good for the culture. Lord knows we need it.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

It's one many things he does that makes me overlook the grim history of paying running backs. He's good for the culture. Lord knows we need it.

I'll happily pay that guy his second contract.  Probably won't be so in to paying for a third.

• Like 1

Glenn already asked for a trade or his release last year. He's only under contract for 2020 so it's not surprising the team is looking to move on. But he is a starting caliber tackle in the NFL and those don't grow on trees. He can also play guard too.  So a trade makes sense, either for a pick or a decent player. If we move/cut Glenn and cut Hart, it would save more than $14 mil, which would let us be in the bidding for Thuney or Conklin. 

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Glenn already asked for a trade or his release last year. He's only under contract for 2020 so it's not surprising the team is looking to move on. But he is a starting caliber tackle in the NFL and those don't grow on trees. He can also play guard too.  So a trade makes sense, either for a pick or a decent player. If we move/cut Glenn and cut Hart, it would save more than $14 mil, which would let us be in the bidding for Thuney or Conklin. 

They aren’t cutting Hart so just let that one go

Hart makes too much to be a backup and isn't good enough to start. So it makes sense to cut him, certainly a lot more than getting Burrow killed. We had one of the worst O-lines in the NFL last year. If their diagnosis is nobody is at fault, then they need to look harder. Glenn was our best O-lineman last year and Mixon ran for about an extra yard per carry in the games Glenn played compared to the ones he missed. So replacing Glenn with a rookie as our only O-line move would be pretty dumb. 

Sounds like the Bengals might be the frontrunners to sign Derek Wolfe.  He's a tier 2 free agent, but it'd be a solid signing as another long guy who can play DE in the 3-4 (5-2) looks and kick inside as a pass rushing DT in the nickel alongside Geno.  If we sign him, then I doubt we bring back Billings.

11 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Sounds like the Bengals might be the frontrunners to sign Derek Wolfe.  He's a tier 2 free agent, but it'd be a solid signing as another long guy who can play DE in the 3-4 (5-2) looks and kick inside as a pass rushing DT in the nickel alongside Geno.  If we sign him, then I doubt we bring back Billings.

What makes us the front runner?

42 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Hart makes too much to be a backup and isn't good enough to start. So it makes sense to cut him, certainly a lot more than getting Burrow killed. We had one of the worst O-lines in the NFL last year. If their diagnosis is nobody is at fault, then they need to look harder. Glenn was our best O-lineman last year and Mixon ran for about an extra yard per carry in the games Glenn played compared to the ones he missed. So replacing Glenn with a rookie as our only O-line move would be pretty dumb. 

Yeah but the Bengals don't cut based on salary alone, we know that.  So if they draft a guy to start at RT, or if Fred takes over, they'll keep him as a swing tackle.  I can about guarantee that.

As for Glenn, your plan is to count on a guy who's quit on 2 teams now.  IMO that's more foolish than counting on the guy they drafted at pick 11 just last year.

As for Mixon's AVG, yeah i'm sure Glenn had something to do with that.  They practically had a turnstile playing at LT.  But let's not act like Glenn was an all-star.  He wasn't any better than average.  They need to aim to be better than that, and that means playing Jonah to see what he has.

39 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

He's a decent pass rusher in the interior.  But i'm not sure i'm more excited about him than Billings.  He's 30 already.  He'd be a 2 year stopgap at best.