Non-Bengal Free Agents

theJ

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Sounds like the Bengals might be the frontrunners to sign Derek Wolfe.  He's a tier 2 free agent, but it'd be a solid signing as another long guy who can play DE in the 3-4 (5-2) looks and kick inside as a pass rushing DT in the nickel alongside Geno.  If we sign him, then I doubt we bring back Billings.

I'd rather keep Billings and let Tupou move on

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Yeah but the Bengals don't cut based on salary alone, we know that.  So if they draft a guy to start at RT, or if Fred takes over, they'll keep him as a swing tackle.  I can about guarantee that.

As for Glenn, your plan is to count on a guy who's quit on 2 teams now.  IMO that's more foolish than counting on the guy they drafted at pick 11 just last year.

As for Mixon's AVG, yeah i'm sure Glenn had something to do with that.  They practically had a turnstile playing at LT.  But let's not act like Glenn was an all-star.  He wasn't any better than average.  They need to aim to be better than that, and that means playing Jonah to see what he has.

No, I don't expect Glenn back for 2020. If it's up to me, we go after Thuney and Conklin. I'd also check the trade market to see what Washington wants for Trent Williams. Adding any of those guys would help our line considerably. We could then add an interior lineman in the draft and have some hope. Jonah and Trey are probably the only sure starters for 2020 at this point. 

12 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Derek Wolfe, here we come! (Siciliano's ears get me every time).

Some of the follow up on that sounds like we are looking for at least 1 CB, and that it sounds like Dennard is likely looking to sign elsewhere and wants to be a boundary corner.

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

it sounds like Dennard is likely looking to sign elsewhere and wants to be a boundary corner.

That was the same story last year and he couldn't find a team willing to sign him for that role.  I'm not sure it will be much different than this.  In fact, with questions about WJIII and Kirkpatrick for this year and next, Cincinnati may be the best place for him to get work on the boundary.

43 minutes ago, theJ said:

That was the same story last year and he couldn't find a team willing to sign him for that role.  I'm not sure it will be much different than this.  In fact, with questions about WJIII and Kirkpatrick for this year and next, Cincinnati may be the best place for him to get work on the boundary.

All I remember about Dennard last year was that he played well and the defense played better when he was in. I’d gladly have him back; the fact he can play inside and out is key, too. The problem is I can’t imagine we throw long-term money at both him and WJIII. Personally, I’d rather keep WJIII. 

Is Phillips expected to play on the boundary? I think he’s capable of both.

Is there any validity to these cutting Kirkpatrick rumours? We only gave him $12 million guaranteed at signing, it shouldn’t be too difficult to get out of his contract. Perhaps we can shop him? He’s still a decent corner. Bouye just netted a 4th round pick from Denver.

We save something like $8.5 million in cap money if we cut Kirkpatrick (with only about $2 million in dead money).

I think Phillips played mostly on the boundary last year and he showed promise.  I'd feel a lot better with him as the 3rd CB though if we can sign a legit starter in FA if we can't keep Dennard.  If we can bring Dennard back, then have him start with WJ3 and kick Dennard inside to the slot CB in nickel, nickel really being the base defense anymore.

12 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

We save something like $8.5 million in cap money if we cut Kirkpatrick (with only about $2 million in dead money).

I think Phillips played mostly on the boundary last year and he showed promise.  I'd feel a lot better with him as the 3rd CB though if we can sign a legit starter in FA if we can't keep Dennard.  If we can bring Dennard back, then have him start with WJ3 and kick Dennard inside to the slot CB in nickel, nickel really being the base defense anymore.

I like Phillips too, but i wouldn't want to plan on him being the #2 corner.  I think that's sort of reckless.  So i'm agreement they should bring in a FA to help.

• Like 1

Just now, Beck Bristow said:

Kirkpatrick is probably as good or better as anyone we are likely to sign from another team.  Unless we are getting close to the cap, I think we should keep him. 

Maybe.  But he's on the wrong side of 30, so at the very least they can find someone younger.

Just now, Beck Bristow said:

We should always be drafting corners.

Agreed.  But for this year, they can't assume a draft pick will be a starter.  They're not really in position to take on high enough, unless it's at #33 and you can't really count on that.