2020 Sign, Draft or Promote: Starting LG

swede700

What should the Vikings do with the starting LG position?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Vikings do with the starting LG position?

• Re-sign Dakota Dozier
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting LG
    • Restructure Riley Reiff and move him to LG
    • Promote Dru Samia to starting LG
    • Nothing, just keep Pat Elflein at starter
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

Next up, how should the Vikings upgrade the starting LG position

2019 depth at the position: Pat Elflein, Dakota Dozier, Dru Samia

2020 Outgoing Free Agents: Dakota Dozier

Potential Free Agents Available: Joe Thuney, Ereck Flowers, Andrus Peat

Potential Draftees:  Lloyd Cushenberry III, Jonah Jackson, Netane Muti, Cesar Ruiz

Now we know that there isn't a lot of money to spend in the free agent market, but what should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?

I selected external free agent, but don't take that to mean I don't think they should sign back Dozier. He should be brought back to compete as potential depth. Also, drafting a guard is warranted.

As far as which free agent, I would start by looking at Thuney. Trading for a starting guard also needs to be a consideration if the team can't find one in free agency.

Edited by Cearbhall

2 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

Draft a G and let Kline, Samia, and Rookie battled for both G spots.

I agree with this. I assume a Tackle will be drafted within the first two rounds to replace Reiff, so MN may have to use a mid round pick on the position and just let them all fight it out for a spot. I’d like to see Samia at RG with Kline, Elflein and the rookie fighting it out at LG. I don’t know what side Samia is a better fit for or if he’s even ready to start, but I think Mn needs him to be ready.

Edited by vikingsrule

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree with this. I assume a Tackle will be drafted within the first two rounds to replace Reiff, so MN may have to use a mid round pick on the position and just let them all fight it out for a spot. I’d like to see Samia at RG with Kline, Elflein and the rookie fighting it out at LG. I don’t know what side Samia is a better fit for or if he’s even ready to start, but I think Mn needs him to be ready.

Pretty much my exact thoughts as well.  I believe most, if not all, of Samia's experience that last few years has been at RG.  So hoping it works out there both short and long term.

If we didn't replace Reiff before what makes you guys think we're going to magically replace one of the only solid pieces to our offensive line. Having a huge guy who can help Reiff and Bradbury would be ideal in this situation. An extremely talented guard.

Edited by HeydudemanG

35 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

If we didn't replace Reiff before what makes you guys think we're going to magically replace one of the only solid pieces to our offensive line. Having a huge guy who can help Reiff and Bradbury would be ideal in this situation. An extremely talented guard.

When were we ever this cap strapped with this many upcoming free agents?

23 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

When were we ever this cap strapped with this many upcoming free agents?

Our biggest problem is O-line. The front office doesn't seem to be in a re-building phase. If our biggest problem is O-line why hurt that group. Who would we get to replace him as cheaper better option? If he's middle of the road do we want to risk somebody who may be slightly worse. Same situation as Kirk he's middle of the road but who can we get to replace him? I would rather cut Griffen, Rhodes, Joseph, and Waynes before him to save cap space. Griffen is close but he's so expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeydudemanG said:

Our biggest problem is O-line. The front office doesn't seem to be in a re-building phase. If our biggest problem is O-line why hurt that group. Who would we get to replace him as cheaper better option? If he's middle of the road do we want to risk somebody who may be slightly worse. Same situation as Kirk he's middle of the road but who can we get to replace him? I would rather cut Griffen, Rhodes, Joseph, and Waynes before him to save cap space. Griffen is close but he's so expensive.

A middle of the road OL is a different situation than a middle of the road QB. Spielman’s always assembled an OL that has consisted of expensive, middle of the road players with little success. I think they need to take a new approach and maybe rely on a rookie when they otherwise haven’t. Playing safe may get them fired in the end. Nows a perfect time to force change, it’s long overdo.

2 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

How much confidence could we really have moving Reiff to Guard?  It wouldn't really be fair to say he couldn't just because it went terribly with Remmers, but it may not be much if any better than Elflein either.

Reiff’s strength, alone would make it better than Elflein. But Reiff also has much quicker feet and quicker hands than both Elflein and Remmers. There isn’t much about Reiff’s game that would suggest he couldn’t make the switch inside. 

On 2/28/2020 at 5:53 PM, vikingsrule said:

A middle of the road OL is a different situation than a middle of the road QB. Spielman’s always assembled an OL that has consisted of expensive, middle of the road players with little success. I think they need to take a new approach and maybe rely on a rookie when they otherwise haven’t. Playing safe may get them fired in the end. Nows a perfect time to force change, it’s long overdo.

Spielman has not always assembled an OL that consisted of expensive, middle of the road players.  As an example, look at last year's cheap offensive line. I am guessing it was one of the cheapest offensive lines in the league. The results were in line with that. It was mystifying that Spielman didn't bring in someone better than Elflein last year, but hey, at least he saved a few bucks. Oh yeah, and he was relying on a rookie as a starter which is always a bad idea. That too went poorly too.

Spielman has tried some expensive lines too, but the man is so lost as it relates to the offensive line it isn't even funny. Even when spending money he'll save a couple million by going with an Alex Boone instead of a Kelechi Osemele. So he wasted money while penny pinching because he either didn't have the conviction or simply does not feel the offensive line is worth it.

Kline was middle of the road, but at least he wasn't an expensive free agent. Overall, that isn't a bad thing but it certainly doesn't point to Spielman always going with expensive middle of the road players. Berger was another decent value that shows Spielman not always going for expensive middle of the road players. He trades for guys like Nick Easton and Jeremiah Sirles, not expensive guys. He brings in cheap guys like Rashod Hill and Andre Smith, not many expensive guys. Most often, Spielman fills holes on the offensive line with question marks and hope rather than proven middle of the road guys, expensive or otherwise.

If Spielman truly always assembled lines with expensive middle of the road guys the Vikings would have a middle of the road offensive line. Unfortunately, the team rarely has a middle of the road offensive line. Middle of the road would be pretty good considering what the team usually has on the offensive line. That is why middle of the road Reiff has been one of their best offensive linemen for the whole time he has been with the Vikings.

Spielman being so lost with respect to the offensive line would be more okay if he realized how lost he was and could effectively delegate the task but he hasn't been able to do that either.