Bigger Titan QB disappointment: Jake Locker or Marcus Mariota

Elky

On 19/03/2020 at 7:44 AM, sp6488 said:

This is such an odd way to describe a guy playing out his rookie deal...

How is that odd?  Especially contrasted against Locker.

Mariota came in...started right away, and puttered along for his entire rookie deal, including a fifth year option.  He dithered away what, like 60+ starts?

Whereas Locker sat for a year, did like a 20 game audition, and politely exited stage left.  Instead of disappointingly weighing the team down for like 3 or 4 more years, delivering new levels of disappointing with each growing year that he didn't take any meaningful step forward.

QBs as underwhelming as Mariota don't often go into 5 different seasons as the presumptive starter for the team that drafted them.  That's forever in team-building terms, waiting on progression that was never gonna come.

On 3/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Mariota - he actually had hope. Still sort of does, just not in Tennessee.

19 hours ago, mm6492 said:

Mariota - he actually had hope. Still sort of does, just not in Tennessee.

forgot that you already posted this on one of your accounts?

• Like 1

Jake Locker kinda sucked in college but his physical skills pushed him up. Never had high hopes for him. His accuracy was terrible.

Mariota was a god in college. His pedigree was as good as it gets. Personally i never really foresaw a franchise QB in him. The guy i really always compared him to was Alex Smith. Maybe he can still turn into a poor mans version of that we'll see

Edited by SilverNBlackFan

Didnt really like either coming out, but Mariota was the better prospect, for sure.

In fairness to both, they each had to deal with a merry-go-round of offensive coordinators.   Both had 3 different OCs in their first 4 years and they all sucked.

Locker's inaccuracy and fragility wouldve derailed his career either way, but he was never put into a great situation.

Same with Mariota.    I dont feel he ever had an OC that really knew how to use him.    Again, I was never a huge fan, but he showed promise early on, but was misused a good bit and tossed from one mediocre OC to another.

That being said, Im not sure Gruden's Raiders is a better situation.     I think he wouldve had a better chance of turning his career around in Chicago.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ukjets21 said:

It is Mariota but why are people in here talking about Locker like he was some Chandler Harnish or something. He was a high draft pick with multiple years of NFL hype in college. 

I mean... not to call anyone out in particular, because some of it could be legit, but it's funny how when these sorts of threads arise, everyone knew what was going to happen with each player perfectly before it did.

Mariota reminded me of Alex Smith coming out. Now certainly, Alex Smith had a good enough career to just being a 1st round selection, but probably not a number 1 overall. As such, I didn’t think Mariota was worth the number 2 pick. I didn’t and don’t think he’ll ever be anything more than a solidly above average QB at his peak, if he ever reaches that.

Locker was definitely a boom or bust prospect, but the boom aspect of his game intrigued me, so I’ll go against the grain of this thread and say Locker disappointed me more.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 6:01 PM, SwoleXmad said:

Mariota had the better pedigree but Locker failing sucks more because every time he got hurt we got to hear announcers say he's in the hurt locker and it was glorious.

Tyus Bowser never sacked Mariota once and this is a shame. 

What is this about?