Bigger Titan QB disappointment: Jake Locker or Marcus Mariota

Elky

i will say that for me personally mariota was more of a disappointment because he showed more promise. locker always felt like a huge question mark to me- someone i hoped would be good but was always kind of lukewarm on. he had incredible talent but we all know how it usually goes with QBs who have accuracy issues. mariota on the other hand came out firing and if you watched his first two seasons you could've reasonably expected him to be an upper-tier (if not elite) starting QB for a long time. it's been long enough now that i feel like people forget how seriously promising his first two seasons were. but he never really was the same after the fibula break and then got even worse after the ulnar injury.

probably not gonna get a lot of agreement here but i firmly believe that if mariota had started his career in a stable system with a doug pederson, andy reid type (and stayed healthier) he'd be regarded in the same "very good" tier as a deshaun watson type player.

• Like 1

Everyone thought Locker was a hit or miss prospect with no in between. He was either gonna be a game changer, or just awful, so him busting was not too big of a surprise especially considering who was their coach during his tenure as QB. Now Mariota was considered a much "safer" franchise QB by many, so I would consider his mediocrity a bigger disappointment. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Man Marcus came out in that first game against Tampa Bay and put on a SHOW. It was wonderful. It's so wild to see how his career progressed. Part of it not staying healthy, the other part not developing (I still blame coaching changes to an extent.)

It's hard not to say Marcus, I do hope he can right his career, by all accounts he's a real standup guy.

On 4/23/2020 at 12:19 AM, Thelonebillsfan said:

I think if Vince had gone literally anywhere else he'd have had a better career tbqh.

Goodness, no. VY was all about his athleticism, which works in college. He had no sort of football IQ and no discipline whatever - on or off the field, he was a headache and that's not going to work for a QB.

Don't make this a Jeff Fisher failure, Young was doomed by himself.