CBS makes Tony Romo highest paid NFL analyst in TV history (~$17M per season)

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

I think highly of Romo and with some better luck/non injuries I think he would've been considered a top 20 QB all time. I consider that an underachiever when all is said and done.

Yeah for an UDFA QB he's done well and above what anyone expected. For a QB people insist is a "great" one he's not that, he was a very good QB who never could come up in big moments or consistently win. Granted a bunch of that is on Dallas/Garrett/Jerruh but Romo's failings are still his failings regardless of the excuses everyone brings up for him.

This is fair. My only counterpoint is that you are not giving enough credit to him personally vs the team success. He notched out a great career. Some of those rosters were laughly bad. Specifically at OL. And dont get me started on how crazy injured we seemed to be every single year. Plus he had like 3 years of very good coaching, and two of those he was essentially the practice squad QB. 

Never forget - Sean Payton went to NOLA and he wanted Romo over Brees. 

Romo is going to make the HOF based on his broadcasting and that makes me happy. Of course, I should mention, my first Boxer puppy I named Romo. So I might be biased. 

31 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is fair. My only counterpoint is that you are not giving enough credit to him personally vs the team success. He notched out a great career. Some of those rosters were laughly bad. Specifically at OL. And dont get me started on how crazy injured we seemed to be every single year. Plus he had like 3 years of very good coaching, and two of those he was essentially the practice squad QB. 

This is probably correct but admitting I'm wrong is a sign of weakness so I'll only admit to Romo being very good for the school he came from. 

30 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Never forget - Sean Payton went to NOLA and he wanted Romo over Brees. 

Romo is going to make the HOF based on his broadcasting and that makes me happy. Of course, I should mention, my first Boxer puppy I named Romo. So I might be biased. 

We're all biased. 

Also pics or it didn't happen. 

12 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

This is probably correct but admitting I'm wrong is a sign of weakness so I'll only admit to Romo being very good for the school he came from. 

We're all biased. 

Also pics or it didn't happen. 

Brees was a FA, but he offered the Cowboys a draft pick for Romo.

Payton was hired as the head coach of the New Orleans Saints in 2006. During the offseason, Payton offered a third-round draft pick for Romo, which would have been a pretty good return for Dallas then. At that point, Romo was still Drew Bledsoe’s backup and had yet to throw a pass in the NFL.

But there were enough people in the organization who saw something in Romo that the Cowboys would accept nothing less than a second-round pick, according to Parcells’ book. And it’s a good thing that the Cowboys held firm on that — Romo replaced Bledsoe halfway through the 2006 season and stayed the starting quarterback until Dak Prescott came along a decade later.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Brees was a FA, but he offered the Cowboys a draft pick for Romo.

I meant-

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Or where you asking for puppy pics? Cause just click my profile. Romo and Miley Austin, my two boxers holding paws

If I had more likes to give I would give. 

• Like 1

Anyone else see Michael Thomas' tweet about this? Saying the players shouldnt sign the cba. If an announcer can make more money than 90%  of the players because of the popularity and demand of the sport, the players should be getting paid a lot more. 

People keep mentioning Drew Brees and Peyton Manning in this thread.  How do we even know those guys could do this job at the level Romo does it?  Romo's not just knowledgeable on the game, he also has a charm and charisma that's rare.  He's one of those guys who can appeal to a hardcore football fan, but the way he breaks stuff down also appeals to a brand new fan at the same time.  He has a great chemistry with Jim Nantz as well.  The constant live reaction to plays, situations, what Nantz says, etc. 

I have less doubt that Peyton Manning could do very well because we've seen him live on stage and in other situations, but that booth is a different animal and Romo is just a natural.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, showtime said:

People keep mentioning Drew Brees and Peyton Manning in this thread.  How do we even know those guys could do this job at the level Romo does it?  Romo's not just knowledgeable on the game, he also has a charm and charisma that's rare.  He's one of those guys who can appeal to a hardcore football fan, but the way he breaks stuff down also appeals to a brand new fan at the same time.  He has a great chemistry with Jim Nantz as well.  The constant live reaction to plays, situations, what Nantz says, etc. 

I have less doubt that Peyton Manning could do very well because we've seen him live on stage and in other situations, but that booth is a different animal and Romo is just a natural.

This is spot on. There is also the factor of enunciation and appearance. Which I know nobody wants to diss people for biological reasons, but Peyton has a weird voice... Brees has a weird birthmark. 

The reason Aikman and Romo got their jobs is for sure because they are attractive, articulate and naturally charismatic/charming. The reason ESPN has failed is because Witten/Booger are not awesome at those things.

(playing for the Cowboys didnt hurt)

Edited by Matts4313

Just now, Matts4313 said:

This is spot on. There is also the factor of enunciation and appearance. Which I know nobody wants to diss people for biological reasons, but Peyton has a weird voice... Brees has a weird birthmark. 

The reason Aikman and Romo got their jobs is for sure because they are attractive, articulate and naturally charismatic/charming. 

(playing for the Cowboys didnt hurt)

Romo has a really rare ability, like John Madden, where he can appeal to the most hardcore football fans, but also someone who's brand new to the game at the same time. I just can't stress enough how insanely rare of an ability that is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Romo has a really rare ability, like John Madden, where he can appeal to the most hardcore football fans, but also someone who's brand new to the game at the same time. I just can't stress enough how insanely rare of an ability that is.

Al Michaels also has it. The ability to say things that interest the hardcore while also not going over the casuals head. 

I would love Peyton in the booth. But I think what he would dissect would be to complicated to your average person who doesnt spend his time on football websites.