CBS makes Tony Romo highest paid NFL analyst in TV history (~$17M per season)

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Al Michaels also has it. The ability to say things that interest the hardcore while also not going over the casuals head. 

I would love Peyton in the booth. But I think what he would dissect would be to complicated to your average person who doesnt spend his time on football websites. 

The thing about Al Michaels is that he never played the game, so he's kind of more in that Jim Nantz type role.  He's very knowledgable on the game, but he's always been a journalist and professional play-by-play guy.  Not taking anything away from him because he's legendary, just pointing that out.

Romo is a former player and is fairly brand new to this profession.  That's why I was saying his ability is insanely rare.  Not many former players, in any sport, could do what Romo does at the level Romo does it.  Almost all former players are knowledgeable in the game because they've played it their entire lives and played at the highest level, but there just isn't anyone like Romo.

I'm a huge NBA fan and that sport is surrounded by former players who are commentators, in-studio analyst, etc and nobody is anywhere near as good as Romo is.  Granted, the sports are completely different and basketball is much faster pace, so maybe it would be hard for someone to approach commentating that way, but I'm just saying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

The thing about Al Michaels is that he never played the game, so he's kind of more in that Jim Nantz type role.  He's very knowledgable on the game, but he's always been a journalist and professional play-by-play guy.  Not taking anything away from him because he's legendary, just pointing that out.

Romo is a former player and is fairly brand new to this profession.  That's why I was saying his ability is insanely rare.  Not many former players, in any sport, could do what Romo does at the level Romo does it.  Almost all former players are knowledgeable in the game because they've played it their entire lives and played at the highest level, but there just isn't anyone like Romo.

I'm a huge NBA fan and that sport is surrounded by former players who are commentators, in-studio analyst, etc and nobody is anywhere near as good as Romo is.  Granted, the sports are completely different and basketball is much faster pace, so maybe it would be hard for someone to approach commentating that way, but I'm just saying.

I think we are saying the same thing. That Romo is unique in his communication. I feel like where Peyton would be hurt is he would say things like "This was a cover three over with a dog blitz" and after a season they would attempt to make him phil simms and say "It was zone and it didnt work". Romo is able to walk the line of just the right amount of information that everyone likes him. 

• Like 1

I believe this also means that he earns more than ANY coach in the NFL? I could be wrong, but that's some going! 

He really did stand out in the role and I'm not surprised that he's the highest paid in that role - I just didn't expect it to be anywhere near that amount. I need to give his agent a call! 

On 2/29/2020 at 12:14 AM, thrILL! said:

How much did they pay him for Peyton's Places?  That show is outstanding.

Peytons Places was a gem. I hope they do more with him.

On 2/28/2020 at 8:12 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

On the subject of the thread, this is well deserved. We need more Tony in pro football, and less Booger.

Edited by lolsurebro

15 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

I believe this also means that he earns more than ANY coach in the NFL? I could be wrong, but that's some going! 

He really did stand out in the role and I'm not surprised that he's the highest paid in that role - I just didn't expect it to be anywhere near that amount. I need to give his agent a call! 

By a lot. Like $5 mil per.

On 3/1/2020 at 10:58 AM, buno67 said:

Anyone else see Michael Thomas' tweet about this? Saying the players shouldnt sign the cba. If an announcer can make more money than 90%  of the players because of the popularity and demand of the sport, the players should be getting paid a lot more. 

So should the receivers who don’t make as much money as Thomas refuse to sign the CBA until they’re paid like him? Because Romo is the best at what he does so he’s paid accordingly. Similar to Thomas which I can’t believe Thomas doesn’t understand. 

40 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So should the receivers who don’t make as much money as Thomas refuse to sign the CBA until they’re paid like him? Because Romo is the best at what he does so he’s paid accordingly. Similar to Thomas which I can’t believe Thomas doesn’t understand. 

Michael Thomas is quickly becoming one of the most petty guys in all of football. And there are plenty of them. 

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

Michael Thomas is quickly becoming one of the most petty guys in all of football. And there are plenty of them. 

CBS has what? a Billion Dollar per year investment in the NFL? (And the players get, what 47% of that Billion currently?)... To pay their main color guy 17 million, who enhances the entire viewing experience their investment is based on is probably undervaluing Romo

I can barely watch some games because of who's doing the color.....