The Gute Plan

Brit Pack

Let Bulaga walk. As much as I like him and he was our best Oline man last season his salary demands will be too much for my liking. We were debating last offseason in keeping him around at $6.7m. He’ll easily command $10m a year and that is too rich for an ageing and oft injured vet. As good as he is I would say thanks and bye bye. Also the fact that there have been no rumours of any discussions, I would imagine this means he won’t be around. If Gute could let Daniels walk, I think the same applies here to Bulaga.

So what to do with the RT? Keep Veldheer at around $3m for a season. I would then draft an OT in the first round. I reckon with all the WR talent, scramble for QBs that a top talent will drop, like what happened when we got Bulaga, so we could pick up one of a Thomas, Becton, Wills, Wirfs, Jackson or Jones.

For ILB, Martinez will be too rich for my pocket. I would go FA route here and grab Patrick Onwuasor for around $5m a season, or the kid from the Bears. Then look to get a depth guy in either the 4th, 5th or 6th round.

WR, I’m waiting till the 2nd round here. Some talent will be available, maybe trade our 3rd to move up higher in the 2nd as well if a guy we love drops e.g. Laviska, Higgins or Reagor. Or stick where we are at I think we could pick up Claypool (my fav), Johnson, Aiyuk, Hill etc. I would also double dip with WR in the 3rd or 4th rounds e.g. a Gandy Golden, Cephus, or Jauan Jennings. There will be enough talent to get out of this draft with two good prospects. Finally, not a must but if we can get AJ Green or Perriman in FA I would do it $10m spend max for Green or $5m for a Perriman type.  There are slim pickings here and they will be well over priced.

If I’m not picking up an FA WR then I’m certainly getting a TE in free agency. Obviously let Graham go and replace with ideally Hunter Henry, less enamoured with but Hooper is a possibility also.

Finally, DT, have to pick one up in FA as there is so much talent available. Go out and get either Leonard Williams, Derek Wolfe, Brookers, Suh, McCoy, Butler, Reader, Jefferson, Gunter, Jerrinigan – whole host to choose from around $8m a season.

$3m for OT
$5m for an ILB
$10m for a WR or TE
$8m for a DT

Total spend. Around $25m - job done!

6 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Let Bulaga walk. As much as I like him and he was our best Oline man last season his salary demands will be too much for my liking. We were debating last offseason in keeping him around at $6.7m. He’ll easily command $10m a year and that is too rich for an ageing and oft injured vet. As good as he is I would say thanks and bye bye. Also the fact that there have been no rumours of any discussions, I would imagine this means he won’t be around. If Gute could let Daniels walk, I think the same applies here to Bulaga.

So what to do with the RT? Keep Veldheer at around $3m for a season. I would then draft an OT in the first round. I reckon with all the WR talent, scramble for QBs that a top talent will drop, like what happened when we got Bulaga, so we could pick up one of a Thomas, Becton, Wills, Wirfs, Jackson or Jones.

For ILB, Martinez will be too rich for my pocket. I would go FA route here and grab Patrick Onwuasor for around $5m a season, or the kid from the Bears. Then look to get a depth guy in either the 4th, 5th or 6th round.

WR, I’m waiting till the 2nd round here. Some talent will be available, maybe trade our 3rd to move up higher in the 2nd as well if a guy we love drops e.g. Laviska, Higgins or Reagor. Or stick where we are at I think we could pick up Claypool (my fav), Johnson, Aiyuk, Hill etc. I would also double dip with WR in the 3rd or 4th rounds e.g. a Gandy Golden, Cephus, or Jauan Jennings. There will be enough talent to get out of this draft with two good prospects. Finally, not a must but if we can get AJ Green or Perriman in FA I would do it $10m spend max for Green or $5m for a Perriman type.  There are slim pickings here and they will be well over priced.

If I’m not picking up an FA WR then I’m certainly getting a TE in free agency. Obviously let Graham go and replace with ideally Hunter Henry, less enamoured with but Hooper is a possibility also.

Finally, DT, have to pick one up in FA as there is so much talent available. Go out and get either Leonard Williams, Derek Wolfe, Brookers, Suh, McCoy, Butler, Reader, Jefferson, Gunter, Jerrinigan – whole host to choose from around $8m a season.

$3m for OT
$5m for an ILB
$10m for a WR or TE
$8m for a DT

I like what you are saying as long as Veldheer returns.

3 Mil - Veldheer - Draft an OT in rnd 1-3

ILB- Special K from the Bears...Make it happen - May need closer to 8 Mil here.

Receiver (TE) - Hooper choice #1...backup option Perriman or Sharpe  - Prefer TE and draft two Wr's. Like your rnd #2 and rnd #5-7

DT - Pierce is my choice if available...feel there is a better chance to fill here than ILB in the draft, so mat flip the $ between the two.

Lastly - Make sure you get a RB high in this draft...Jones or Williams will not return in 2021...need another guy. Day 2or early day3

28 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

$3m for OT
$5m for an ILB
$10m for a WR or TE
$8m for a DT

Like most of your thoughts.  The Bulaga signing question is most troublesome though.  Veldheer was a very nice signing but was "retired" for most of the year.  Can he play well enough/hold up for an entire season?  Can a rookie OT come in and play if he doesn't?  Would love to see Bulaga sign a contract friendly deal for couple of years ... resign Veldheer and draft that OT.  Can it be done?  Just very uneasy about that RT spot for sure.

• Like 5

I can't get on board with Hunter Henry over Austin Hooper. Henry has a problem with staying healthy and I'm not willing to bank on his health changing if we sign him to a contract. The best ability we can look for in free agency is availability and that isn't Hunter Henry. Why do you think they keep resigning Antonio Gates?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I can't get on board with Hunter Henry over Austin Hooper. Henry has a problem with staying healthy and I'm not willing to bank on his health changing if we sign him to a contract. The best ability we can look for in free agency is availability and that isn't Hunter Henry. Why do you think they keep resigning Antonio Gates?

According to this, there's no need to worry cause the LAC will be tagging Henry.......

NFL Rumors -  The Chargers have a few high profile offensive players set to become free agents, including Philip Rivers, Hunter Henry, and Melvin Gordon. While they’ve already announced that they’ll be letting Rivers walk, they have no plans to let Henry follow him out the door. 

Henry “absolutely” will be getting the franchise tag, from what Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports hears. We heard back in January that the Chargers were considering the transition tag for the young tight end, but it sounds like they aren’t even willing to take that risk. The transition tag is a non-exclusive tag that gives the team the right to match any offer that the player gets in free agency. This is shaping up to be the most exciting tight end market in years, with plenty of big names getting new deals. Austin Hooper is about to enter unrestricted free agency and is expected to land a huge contract.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

This is the only bit I have major issues with.

In a draft with as much talent at WR as this one,  instead of using your 3rd round pick to trade up higher in the 2nd then surely it would be better to use the two picks to draft receivers. I know you mentioned double dipping later on but I wouldn't be considering a 2nd round trade up unless it was a player you were desperate to acquire in which case you probably draft him in the first round.

This is a year that you leave free agency alone for receivers. If the board falls then draft 2 receivers in the 2nd and 3rd and use free agency for other positions. 

I'm with you on Bulaga. Fully understand why people want him signed and if you get him on a short contract with an easy out after a season then great but otherwise no thanks. Its just too much of a risk- age, injury history and having a career year in a contract season are all red flags on their own. Added together its asking for trouble. 'Who else is going to play there' isn't really a good reason to give out what looks a very dangerous contract. You have a whole team of people dedicated to finding players - they need to do their job and find another RT.

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

This is the only bit I have major issues with.

In a draft with as much talent at WR as this one,  instead of using your 3rd round pick to trade up higher in the 2nd then surely it would be better to use the two picks to draft receivers. I know you mentioned double dipping later on but I wouldn't be considering a 2nd round trade up unless it was a player you were desperate to acquire in which case you probably draft him in the first round.

This is a year that you leave free agency alone for receivers. If the board falls then draft 2 receivers in the 2nd and 3rd and use free agency for other positions. 

I'm with you on Bulaga. Fully understand why people want him signed and if you get him on a short contract with an easy out after a season then great but otherwise no thanks. Its just too much of a risk- age, injury history and having a career year in a contract season are all red flags on their own. Added together its asking for trouble. 'Who else is going to play there' isn't really a good reason to give out what looks a very dangerous contract. You have a whole team of people dedicated to finding players - they need to do their job and find another RT.

Don't mind the drafting 2 wide receivers if the talent is there.  Regarding Bulaga, I understand the hand wringing on what to do.  However, the past 3-4 years the folks that have been put in charge drafting that OT to take his place have failed miserably.  Veldheer was a nice short term but thinking that's all he is.  Do the Packers really want to go into next season without Bulaga not knowing one iota who his replacement would be?  That would be more dangerous then paying him for a year or two front loaded and cut him loose after.   

So ask the queens, bears and kitty’s what it’s like to have piss poor online week in and week out. 

Letting Bugs walk without talking to him is stupid. Veldheer played what a game a full season of him may result in another shortened year with our 30 mil QB. 
Bugs is not oft injured. He gets nicked but he’s a tough bugger. It’s not uncommon for the trench guys to miss some games here and there sucks but it’s the trenches.
If we can sign him I hope we do if not I’d tag him for a year. 

Edited by PACKRULE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

So ask the queens, bears and kitty’s what it’s like to have piss poor online week in and week out. 

Letting Bugs walk without talking to him is stupid. Veldheer played what a game a season of gin will surely result in another shortened year with our 30 mil QB. 
Bugs is not oft injured. He gets nicked but he’s a tough bugger. It’s not uncommon for the trench guys to miss some games here and there sucks but it’s the trenches.

"Bugs". Lol.

Veldheer was retired and was a nice late season addition and cheap. What makes anyone think if the Packers resign him to start at RT he will stay cheap. He’s a vested vet at an advanced age and while he might sign a short contract  that doesn’t mean it will be cheap.The only way letting Bulaga go over money makes sense is if we have his replacement on the roster or can draft a sure fire rookie at the position. Usually a short term contract takes a bit bigger bite out of the immediate cap but is compensated for by being able to move on easier. 

On 2/29/2020 at 7:10 PM, PACKRULE said:

Letting Bugs walk without talking to him is stupid. Veldheer played what a game a full season of him may result in another shortened year with our 30 mil QB. 

If we're pronouncing this ^ "Boogs" then logic follows that this ^ is "Booger" and that makes him the worst color analyst in the league and I want no part. Give me Romo at 17m.

• Like 1