Becton at #2?

Suffering_Bills

Now, hear me out: Until proven otherwise, YES, Chase Young is still the consensus best player in this draft. HOWEVER: If the Redskins select Young, you've got an ENORMOUS amount of present and future money tied up on your D-line, with 4 1st-round picks there, in that scenario. And, Trent Williams is playing hardball with Washington, demanding a new deal or a trade. Mekhi Becton made himself a ton of money with his combine performance, is a legitimate freak of nature, and appears to have separated himself from the pack at his position. Impressed the heck out of me, that's for sure. If you're picking this high, usually the only positions that warrant a selection are QB, OT, or pass-rusher, so there's that. Washington has their young, possible franchise QB, and this would be a great move to help protect him. Or whomever, down the road. Of course, they could also trade down, but if they stay put, I think a potentially elite OT overrides the need for yet another D-lineman. Feel free to disagree, but let's get some opinions.

EDIT: Oh, and he's still only 20 years old, with just 17% body fat. Otherworldly potential.

Edited by Suffering_Bills

1 hour ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Now, hear me out: Until proven otherwise, YES, Chase Young is still the consensus best player in this draft. HOWEVER: If the Redskins select Young, you've got an ENORMOUS amount of present and future money tied up on your D-line, with 4 1st-round picks there, in that scenario. And, Trent Williams is playing hardball with Washington, demanding a new deal or a trade. Mekhi Becton made himself a ton of money with his combine performance, is a legitimate freak of nature, and appears to have separated himself from the pack at his position. Impressed the heck out of me, that's for sure. If you're picking this high, usually the only positions that warrant a selection are QB, OT, or pass-rusher, so there's that. Washington has their young, possible franchise QB, and this would be a great move to help protect him. Or whomever, down the road. Of course, they could also trade down, but if they stay put, I think a potentially elite OT overrides the need for yet another D-lineman. Feel free to disagree, but let's get some opinions.

EDIT: Oh, and he's still only 20 years old, with just 17% body fat. Otherworldly potential.

"Of course, they could also trade down"  

I would say your nuts however not this year. Move down a little and you still get one of the top tier LTs in draft. It's not like the Redskins fans will be piseesd if yot end up with a boat load of picks and have to SETTLE for Thomas or Wills !

Note    You better be sure that Young isn't the next LT.  He can be Clowney but LT, its your ask!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, m haynes said:

"Of course, they could also trade down"  

I would say your nuts however not this year. Move down a little and you still get one of the top tier LTs in draft. It's not like the Redskins fans will be piseesd if yot end up with a boat load of picks and have to SETTLE for Thomas or Wills !

Note    You better be sure that Young isn't the next LT.  He can be Clowney but LT, its your ask!!!!!!

Meh. The ONLY player I would ever compare to LT was Derrick Thomas.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Disagree. There's been O-lineman taken that high who have gone on to be HOF material. Remember Orlando Pace?

I'd argue there were more valuable players taken in the 1st round that year. And a HOF OT (Walter Jones) was taken #5 that year.

Especially with salaries nowadays, I don't think the extension of a super high pick at OT is worth the money.

I've stated it before here, the returns are limited with high OL investments. You only have to do so much. Put a hat on a hat, play within a system, don't let a defender rush past you. But with defenders, you can never be good enough at rushing the passer, setting the edge, getting penetration, or covering a WR. Look at Dallas with all there OL investments. 

WSH might think Chase Young is overhyped. If that's the case, trade down a few spots and get an OL.

Edited by Tetsujin

1 minute ago, Tetsujin said:

I'd argue there were more valuable players taken in the 1st round that year. And a HOF OT (Walter Jones) was taken #5 that year.

Especially with salaries nowadays, I don't think the extension of a super high pick at OT is worth the money.

I've stated it before here, the returns are limited with high OL investments. You only have to do so much. Put a hat on a hat, play within a system, don't let a defender rush past you. But with defenders, you can never be good enough at rushing the passer, setting the edge, getting penetration, or covering a WR. Look at Dallas with all there OL investments. 

They might think Chase Young is overhyped. If that's the case, trade down a few spots and get an OL.

Possibilities abound. No doubt.

2 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

They might think Chase Young is overhyped. If that's the case, trade down a few spots and get an OL.

Oh, and it's a RARE year that you get an Orlando Pace and a Walter Jones in the SAME draft.

LT is still an enormous position of value. It’s right there with pass rushers after QB. But I think that the overall lack of talent at the position over the last decade has hurt its perceived value. For that reason it may hold even more value that pass rusher right now because of the scarcity at tackle. Lots of good pass rushers out there...very few can defend them. 

• Like 2