Becton at #2?

Suffering_Bills

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

LT is still an enormous position of value. It’s right there with pass rushers after QB. But I think that the overall lack of talent at the position over the last decade has hurt its perceived value. For that reason it may hold even more value that pass rusher right now because of the scarcity at tackle. Lots of good pass rushers out there...very few can defend them. 

I agree.  IMO, LT is the 2nd most important position on the field. You can have the QB GOAT and if you can't protect his blind side your finished.  I believe its QB, LT,CB and EDGE/DT ( sacks and pressure.

See Baker and the Browns and LT woes, finished. All other star useless. 

12 minutes ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Well, it depends on which tackle you refer to. The top 4 will be LONG gone, plus maybe a couple others.

With that many players going in the first round one could drop. It’s not unheard of. Ramczyk dropped a few years ago. I think the same applies to the WR position. Teams will either draft for need or simply screw it up. Happens every year. 

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

With that many players going in the first round one could drop. It’s not unheard of. Ramczyk dropped a few years ago. I think the same applies to the WR position. Teams will either draft for need or simply screw it up. Happens every year. 

Could happen, like anything in life. But, realistically....

Becton is hardly a sure fire prospect..... Elite size/athleticism at a position where athleticism is huge? Absolutely...  but he's not Quentin Nelson at guard levels of polished technically, and many draft boards didn't even have him as a first rounder until recently. 

He's athletic enough to have a -VERY- high ceiling if he can take coaching very well, but his athleticism is often compensating for lapses in technique, and I don't think he's going to be getting away with that nearly as much at the NFL level when going against similarly athletic freaks. I've got him pegged in that 10-20 range of the first round. 

He's good, but you're drafting him more on what he could be, than what he is, imo.

• Like 3

Hell no.

"Money tied up on the DL"?

Matt Ioannidis: Signed through 2022 at an APY of $7.25mm ($6mm cap hit in 2020).  Will be an UFA in 2023.  He'll be 29 when his contract expires.

Jonathan Allen: 4th year of his rookie deal at $3.7mm.  Will likely pick up the 2021 option.  Will be an UFA in 2022 if we don't sign him to an extension.

We will likely let either one of these guys walk in FA in 2022-23.  They are somewhat redundant, as they will both play the same position in a 4-3.  Ioannidis is currently the better player, but Allen still has room to grow.

Da'Ron Payne: 3rd year of his rookie deal at $3.9mm.  Will likely pick up the 2022 option next offseason.  Will be an UFA in 2023 if we don't sign him to an extension.

Montez Sweat: 2nd year of his rookie deal at $2.6mm.  Will be an UFA in 2024 if we don't sign him to an extension.

Where do you see a bunch of money tied up?  We will likely let either Allen or Ioannidis walk, Payne probably won't break the bank, and the money "tied up" at EDGE will be 5 years from now, and that's only if Sweat lives up to his potential.

And if we were to somehow pass on Young at #2, it damn sure wouldn't be for Becton.

• Like 1