2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Wide Receivers

KC_Guy

An Overview:

This is a unit the Chiefs invested quite a bit in over the past years. The Legion of Zoom didn't earn that moniker for nothing. However, they also brought in and developed some young talent we have to take into account moving forward. 

The Players:

Tyreek Hill and Mecole Hardmann will form the core of the unit over the next two years (minimum). I'm not sure there's any other team with speed even close to thaos two. However, both of them lack a bit of size, even if they play bigger than their measurement may indicate.

While the Chiefs obviously would like to have Sammy Watkins back on a resonable contract, there's a major gap to bridge in terms of money. I don't think the Chiefs will be able to keep him with Jones and Mahomes obviously at a higher priority. IF he returns the group will be set, if not ... well, see below.

Byron Pringle saw more playing beyord Special Teams - and I really liked what I saw in albeit limited action. He's a keeper who might be able to fill the gap the departure of Demarcus Robinson will create, as I don't think the Chiefs will invest heavily in a role player like him.

Marcus Kemp unfortunately ended up on IR early. I was expecting a bigger role from him this year, may be even more than Pringle showed. As an ERFA he'll be back and hopefully can pick up where he left after the 2019 pre-season. His body size would be a good complement to Hill & Hardman.

Gehrig Dieter was on and off this year, after two season on PS he'll have to show something other than being Mahomes' friend to make the roster.

Fortson and Davis are unknowns to me, fighting for a spot at the back end of the roster or the PS

The Outlook:

Sammy Watkins is the big unknown here. I don't think he'll be back, but the Chiefs are in a good position here even without him. Between Pringle, Kemp, Fortson and Dieter they should be able to identify the #4 or #5 pass catcher (behind Hill, Hardman, Kelce and potentially a RB) and sufficient contributions to Special Teams. Thus I would be surprised to see a high pick going this way, even if the WR class is considered pretty good this year. We'll definitely see some UDFA signings though. The QBs will need a few guys to throw to in camp ...

The one thing I would like to see, especially if we lose Watkins and Robinson, is an addition with some height. Unless they really think Kemp can contribute, a top 3 of Hill, Hardman, and Pringle is a little too one note, for me. I think it could be filled with a low pick or a value free agent, but at least one guy with a little more size to fill that role Conley and Robinson have filled, of key blocking WR and occasional larger target would be nice.

14 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

The one thing I would like to see, especially if we lose Watkins and Robinson, is an addition with some height. Unless they really think Kemp can contribute, a top 3 of Hill, Hardman, and Pringle is a little too one note, for me. I think it could be filled with a low pick or a value free agent, but at least one guy with a little more size to fill that role Conley and Robinson have filled, of key blocking WR and occasional larger target would be nice.

I'd like Justin Jefferson, Chase Claypool, Antonio Gandy-Golden, and Isaiah Hodgins.

If you haven't seen any Gandy-Golden, check him out. He's plays like Megatron. His biggest knock, that i can tell, is that he didn't play against a lot of major competition. But he just dominated the people he played like he should.