Three unorthodox 1st-round suggestions:

Suffering_Bills

Hey, fellow fans of the Bills. Well, as plenty of us probably know, most draft pundits are predicting us to select either a WR or an edge guy at #22. All well and good, and I for sure don't adamantly disagree. Free-agency throws a monkey wrench into all of that, however. Who knows who we'll get, and we definitely have the money to get some talent there. Won't know till it happens. Okay, that having been said, I'm going to offer some potential 1st-round suggestions for us that probably go against the grain of conventional wisdom, but I do so in the hope of making us a better football team, of course. These are all guys that I think have a very good shot of being there at our selection in the first round, and they showed out at the combine. This is just for fun, of course, but.... could happen?

#1. Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame.

The first thing this pick would do is enable us to hand the walking papers to Lee Smith and Tyler Kroft. Thanks guys, but bye to you and your salaries. We'd get the clear-cut top TE in the draft, a big red-zone target for Josh, and a guy who can both block and catch. That'd leave us with Kmet, Knox, and Sweeney at the position, and that's a reasonably decent-looking young trio. Two-TE sets would be, at least on paper, pretty darned good-looking, I'd have to think. As a nice side bonus, we'd snag him right ahead of New England, whom I know needs a tight end. His combine showing was outstanding.

#2. Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin.

Dog me all you want. Fact is, Gore is finished, Yeldon is merely a backup, period, and Christian Wade is an experiment. I love Singletary, for sure, but is he a legitimate 25-30 carries a game type of back? Possibly, but unlikely. I think he could be an absolutely excellent compliment to a true bell-cow back, though, both as a 3rd-down guy, and a starter in case of injury. Everybody just about platoons these days, anyways. Taylor is an absolute load, at 226 pounds, with now-proven 4.39 speed. We need to run the ball to win, and with Taylor and Singletary, we would be able to accomplish exactly that mission.

#3. Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame.

Depending how teams ahead of us draft, there could be anywhere from 4-5 receivers selected before our pick. Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs will be gone, and maybe Justin Jefferson and Shenault. Chase Claypool was thought to be a candidate for conversion to tight end, but after running a 4.42 at the combine, you can put that thought to bed. That is serious speed at 6'4", 238. He is what he looks like; a big, fast, strong wide receiver prospect. Simple fact is, we need a true #1, and, based on measurables, they don't get too much more ideal than what this guy brings to the table, by any normal standard.

Okay. Feedback.

3 hours ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Hey, fellow fans of the Bills. Well, as plenty of us probably know, most draft pundits are predicting us to select either a WR or an edge guy at #22. All well and good, and I for sure don't adamantly disagree. Free-agency throws a monkey wrench into all of that, however. Who knows who we'll get, and we definitely have the money to get some talent there. Won't know till it happens. Okay, that having been said, I'm going to offer some potential 1st-round suggestions for us that probably go against the grain of conventional wisdom, but I do so in the hope of making us a better football team, of course. These are all guys that I think have a very good shot of being there at our selection in the first round, and they showed out at the combine. This is just for fun, of course, but.... could happen?

#1. Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame.

The first thing this pick would do is enable us to hand the walking papers to Lee Smith and Tyler Kroft. Thanks guys, but bye to you and your salaries. We'd get the clear-cut top TE in the draft, a big red-zone target for Josh, and a guy who can both block and catch. That'd leave us with Kmet, Knox, and Sweeney at the position, and that's a reasonably decent-looking young trio. Two-TE sets would be, at least on paper, pretty darned good-looking, I'd have to think. As a nice side bonus, we'd snag him right ahead of New England, whom I know needs a tight end. His combine showing was outstanding.

#2. Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin.

Dog me all you want. Fact is, Gore is finished, Yeldon is merely a backup, period, and Christian Wade is an experiment. I love Singletary, for sure, but is he a legitimate 25-30 carries a game type of back? Possibly, but unlikely. I think he could be an absolutely excellent compliment to a true bell-cow back, though, both as a 3rd-down guy, and a starter in case of injury. Everybody just about platoons these days, anyways. Taylor is an absolute load, at 226 pounds, with now-proven 4.39 speed. We need to run the ball to win, and with Taylor and Singletary, we would be able to accomplish exactly that mission.

#3. Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame.

Depending how teams ahead of us draft, there could be anywhere from 4-5 receivers selected before our pick. Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs will be gone, and maybe Justin Jefferson and Shenault. Chase Claypool was thought to be a candidate for conversion to tight end, but after running a 4.42 at the combine, you can put that thought to bed. That is serious speed at 6'4", 238. He is what he looks like; a big, fast, strong wide receiver prospect. Simple fact is, we need a true #1, and, based on measurables, they don't get too much more ideal than what this guy brings to the table, by any normal standard.

Okay. Feedback.

I get the ideas you are going for but honestly those 3 guys are not 1st round picks. I know they have shown flashes at the combine and people get excited about it but at the end of the day Kmet is a 2nd round pick, claypool is still a 2-3 rd pick as well as taylor. I think not having to go WR at 21 is the right choice if the guy doesn't fall. Im a big fan of going after Chaisson DE from LSU, Ruggs/jeudy/lamb if one started falling, Murray LB all have been mentioned and all can be realistic from range 15-22, I could see beane throwing a 2nd day pick to move up because he has done it in the past and if he feels like one of those guys can get the job done then that would be the right move.

My outside the box top 4 are guys like Wirfs OL, as spain may be moving on and Ford going to guard Wirfs has the ability to be the RT the bills need, 3 defensive guys that are not a high need but can make an immediate impact Fulton/Diggs CBs or Delpit Safety. I know those last 3 are kind of a "why question" but if you think about it Hyde Poyer and Tre are all going to get paid here or somewhere else, Wallace has been solid and his ERFA is up after this year so he is going to seek a new contract, plus the bills have been playing a lot of 4-2-5 sets so 5 DBs on the field lately and its been working. By going to one of these guys it could be tough for the young qbs in the division with darnold and the unknowns in miami and New england. 

I am all for getting Claypool in the 2nd or 3rd as well as getting an rb whether it is taylor, akers, or ceh in day 3.

Bills have solid talent and they do have needs at WR and Pass Rusher, basing the FA if they land one it may go from having them as needs to simply going BPA at 22 when they are on the clock. I see the bills making a splash at someone or 2 mid level guys in FA and if they cant land a top pass rusher Shaq is likely to return. Franchise Tag starting this week will determine if guys become available or not like Yannick.