Bears Reportedly Seeking Dalton

dll2000

All over twitter that Bears have inquired about trading for Dalton. 

Insert gif with very passive and sarcastic yay. 

Has me about as excited as Mike Glennon announcement.

Though I think Dalton is an okay starter at his best and Glennon is just a suck bum.  The idea of giving up an asset for Dalton is an upsetting one.  I could perhaps stomach it for Carr, but Dalton?   

My thinking is this.  Bears aren’t going to win with a mediocre never was or has been veteran QB.  They are going to win some games, but not win win.   For same reasons that QB never won with his original team (Dalton).  Or is busted now (Cam Newton/Alex Smith).   Or is wildly inconsistent (Foles).  They likely aren’t going to win with Trubisky, but there is still an outside hope there as he is young and talented enough that something unexpected could happen.   

Why not bring in a young dude with some potential and let him legit compete for job?  Maybe you could strike some unexpected gold.

Then if it doesn’t work out, just hit reset button next year in draft or maybe something unexpected falls in your lap in a good veteran who has a falling out with a team or is actually healthy again and not just coming off a major injury.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Why not bring in a young dude with some potential and let him legit compete for job?  Maybe you could strike some unexpected gold.

I...honestly don't know. The only thing I can think of is that they're worried about smashing Mitch's psyche. I'd wager that trading for Dalton could have the same effect, as he'd most likely become the highest paid backup in the league. And yes, the thought of the Bears making Dalton the highest pack backup in the league does give me pause...

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There's really nothing stopping them from doing both and I believe they should.

As far as any declaration of bringing in an experienced vet only to compete starting from the #2 slot, if that's truly the plan, the short list of possibility seems very short.  Dalton or Mariota appear to be the two who are more likely to accept that role than others. Based on all that Pace has said it's Daniel whom were upgrading this year not Mitch.   Mitch is gonna get another shot at it and whoever we do sign will be our safety net and someone who should be good enough to keep pressure on him from the start of camp.  Dalton could do that.

As I see it we're probably stuck with Mitch and Pace's and Nagy's hopes and dreams for him for one more year before a final decision can be made so whose the best prospect to pair with him?  Do we seek a more established vet like Dalton whose had some very good years when Cincy actually cared enough to compete or do we gamble on Mariota's upside and hope we can "fix" him as well?  From there the list doesn't seem to improve much if at all or at least not from what we can see now.  Affordability is also gonna factor in to it.

If Dalton can be had for one of our current 5th or 6th round picks subject to a heavily revised contract I'd have no problem with that. What are the chances of any 5th or 6th round pick being more valuable in 2020 than a capable #2 QB who has starters credentials?  If Cincy wants more than it should probably be a 2021 pick or some combination of picks and/or swaps.  They are actively trying to move him so I can't see why we shouldn't be in on that at least kicking the tires of a trade.  We could do far worse, and have......Mike Glennon.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

There's really nothing stopping them from doing both and I believe they should.

As far as any declaration of bringing in an experienced vet only to compete starting from the #2 slot, if that's truly the plan, the short list of possibility seems very short.  Dalton or Mariota appear to be the two who are more likely to accept that role than others. Based on all that Pace has said it's Daniel whom were upgrading this year not Mitch.   Mitch is gonna get another shot at it and whoever we do sign will be our safety net and someone who should be good enough to keep pressure on him from the start of camp.  Dalton could do that.

As I see it we're probably stuck with Mitch and Pace's and Nagy's hopes and dreams for him for one more year before a final decision can be made so whose the best prospect to pair with him?  Do we seek a more established vet like Dalton whose had some very good years when Cincy actually cared enough to compete or do we gamble on Mariota's upside and hope we can "fix" him as well?  From there the list doesn't seem to improve much if at all or at least not from what we can see now.  Affordability is also gonna factor in to it.

If Dalton can be had for one of our current 5th or 6th round picks subject to a heavily revised contract I'd have no problem with that. What are the chances of any 5th or 6th round pick being more valuable in 2020 than a capable #2 QB who has starters credentials?  If Cincy wants more than it should probably be a 2021 pick or some combination of picks and/or swaps.  They are actively trying to move him so I can't see why we shouldn't be in on that at least kicking the tires of a trade.  We could do far worse, and have......Mike Glennon.

I think Dalton or Mariota still create an immediate QB controversy from fan and especially media perspective even if Bears declare MT starter.  Media will be a dog with a bone there.  

There will be dominoes too once Brady and Rivers make their decisions and teams issue tags or don’t issue tags. Brady and Rivers have to displace someone right?  Unless Brady goes to LA.  Then NE has to make a decision if Brady leaves.  

Tampa Bay is in wait and see mode as is Jamies WInston who is another domino.  Chargers are very much in play for a QB as well.  

Whole landscape will change suddenly in late March.  

• Like 1

Just curious.  Why is everyone taking these "reports" as truth?  Whether you like or dislike Pace one thing is for sure is he keeps everything close to the vest until it's about to happen.  No one really knew he was trading up for Floyd or Trubisky, and the trade for Mack was kept quiet until the very last minute.  Pace didn't even tell his own coach that he was drafting Tru until the day of the draft.  Pace has kept every secret guarded since he became GM, so why would all these reports start coming out now?  I'm gonna call BS on all these "reports" for the time being.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think Dalton or Mariota still create an immediate QB controversy from fan and especially media perspective even if Bears declare MT starter.  Media will be a dog with a bone there.  

There will be dominoes too once Brady and Rivers make their decisions and teams issue tags or don’t issue tags. Brady and Rivers have to displace someone right?  Unless Brady goes to LA.  Then NE has to make a decision if Brady leaves.  

Tampa Bay is in wait and see mode as is Jamies WInston who is another domino.  Chargers are very much in play for a QB as well.  

Whole landscape will change suddenly in late March.  

I don't believe anyone should pay a whole lot of attention to fan or media backlash OR reports of a QB controversy.  By declaring now that Mitch will be given his #1 spot in 2020 it somewhat disarms that unless whoever is brought in is obviously outplaying him in camp and preseason and that seems at least somewhat unlikely since he knows more of the offense or at least we can hope he does.

I also don't deny the decision Brady and other make may change the landscape which is why it may be wise for Pace to explore a trade for Dalton as fully as possible now.  It's either gonna be a fit for us or it isn't so probe as much as needed and make an offer if that seems wise.  I gotta believe Pace and Nagy would like to have the issue settled sooner than later but again that's only my opinion.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

Just curious.  Why is everyone taking these "reports" as truth?  Whether you like or dislike Pace one thing is for sure is he keeps everything close to the vest until it's about to happen.  No one really knew he was trading up for Floyd or Trubisky, and the trade for Mack was kept quiet until the very last minute.  Pace didn't even tell his own coach that he was drafting Tru until the day of the draft.  Pace has kept every secret guarded since he became GM, so why would all these reports start coming out now?  I'm gonna call BS on all these "reports" for the time being.

I think there's a sliver of truth in the report. Does it mean we are going to trade for him? No... but I do believe we are checking in and kicking the tires, so to speak.

Dalton is 70-61-2 as a starter, 7 percentage points under a 2:1 TD to INT ratio, and had some success under Bill Lazor.

You can do a lot worse at QB2 as a hedge to your struggling "young" QB.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think there's a sliver of truth in the report. Does it mean we are going to trade for him? No... but I do believe we are checking in and kicking the tires, so to speak.

Dalton is 70-61-2 as a starter, 7 percentage points under a 2:1 TD to INT ratio, and had some success under Bill Lazor.

You can do a lot worse at QB2 as a hedge to your struggling "young" QB.

I understand what you're saying but Pace is more "in the shadows".  All these leaked reports have me skeptical this information isn't coming from an agent or someone who are trying to gain leverage by using the Bears.  Example, Cincy might have gotten an offer from let's say the Bucs for like a late round pick for Dalton.  All of a sudden this report comes out, because everyone knows that the Bears want a veteran quarterback, trying to get the Bucs to sweeten the deal.  I think these reports are more gamesmanship in order to negotiate than actual facts

Edited by GBHalas

Just now, GBHalas said:

I understand what you're saying but Pace is more "in the shadows".  All these leaked reports have me skeptical this information isn't coming from an agent or someone who are trying to gain leverage by using the Bears.  Example, Cincy might have gotten an offer from let's say the Bucs for like a late round pick for Dalton.  All of a sudden this report comes out, because everyone knows that the Bears want a veteran quarterback, trying to get the Bucs to sweeten the deal.  I think these reports are more gamesmanship in order to negotiate

Very fair.