Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

18 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Pretty sure the Saints run multiple schemes. They aren’t dedicated to a gap or zone scheme. I think he would fit just fine. Dude is just a good guard. I would cut Hubbard for sure now and give that pay and more to Warford

Hubbard is making Ike 2M. Warford isn’t taking that. 

43 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Hubbard is making Ike 2M. Warford isn’t taking that. 

This was me before looking at his contract info - yeah Hubbard isnt making a lot of money this year but it be better to reinvest it.

After looking at his contract info - He has a weird contract year for this season. '19 he made $6m+ '21 he is scheduled to make $6.5m and '22 it is $7m. This season tho, '20, he is supposed to have a salary of $2m and a total cap hit around $3.6m. He also has a deadcap hit for this year at about $3.5m. So Hubbard isnt really worth it to cut really unless he really sucks in the preseason.

Eagles lead the NFL with 9 contracts that average at least $10M a year. Cowboys, Browns, Bucs, Texans, Vikings and Bears all have 8. Jets are last with just 2.

I don’t think giving super massive contracts is what kills teams.

It’s when you nickel and dime your roster by giving a bunch of average guys 8+ mil a year. If a dude is average, just replace him with a rookie deal.

• Like 2

Just going off of stuff I’ve read in the past.

I’ve read Clowney doesn’t want to play in a 3-4. So that would rule out Tennessee and Baltimore.

I think it comes down to Cleveland vs Philly.

If you give Clowney 16-18 mil, Sheldon Richardson is gone for sure next year. Although I think Sheldon is gone either way. Then you have a really tough decision to make with Larry Ogunjobi and how much he wants.

This won’t be a popular opinion, but don’t be shocked if Jordan Elliott and Andrew Billings were brought in to replace Larry and Sheldon.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This won’t be a popular opinion, but don’t be shocked if Jordan Elliott and Andrew Billings were brought in to replace Larry and Sheldon.

I could see this as being both true and false; they were brought in to likely replace one (Sheldon) while also being a hedge against injury/regression/pricing out with the other (Ogunjobi). Smart front offices have contingency plans and this could be one.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Seems likely that we might be keeping our powder dry and waiting to see which players are cap-casualty cuts:

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/05/10/nfl-teams-copy-cleveland-browns-moneyball-overspend/

I will completely understand not wanting to spend money.

It has worked out fantastically for us up to this point.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I will completely understand not wanting to spend money.

It has worked out fantastically for us up to this point.

Yes, but if we can still snare a talented player or two without spending too much this will have been an epoch offseason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I still wanna see Clowney and a trade for a veteran LBer. Kareem Hunt for Ronald Jones & Lavonte David?

Hunt is going to make a bigger impact IMO. LBs are not as important to todays defenses. Its all about having a great secondary and great DL. Just find LBs that can fit the scheme and do what you ask from them. The LBs for KC were avg as best but that had a damn good DL and a very good secondary