Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

18 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Laremy Tunsil did it just fine for Miami.

You’re just dead set on whoever we drafted at 10 would start at LT day 1. You’ve completely downplayed the significance impact the virus is going to have. A rookie is going to struggle significantly rather you accept it or not.

Tunsil situation is different. Tunsil played LG. While Miami had a decent established LT on the team already. Also Miami prolly didn’t plan to take Tunsil cause they prolly didn’t think he be there. The bong mask video drops right before the draft so he falls to Miami. A lot of technique from LG can be transitions to LT. So you’re not really wasting time. Playing RG right wont have any significant carry over except he learns the level of competition is greatly improved compared to college. 

13 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is where I’m at.

I dunno...I'm sure someone is itching to start a "What if our interest in Jason Peters says Wills ain't ready and that we got the wrong guy?" Then add a "Who has a higher ceiling?" poll between Wills & Becton and bada-bing-bada-boom.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 3:27 PM, buno67 said:

Playing RG right wont have any significant carry over except he learns the level of competition is greatly improved compared to college. 

This might be reason enough to do it.

Let him cut his teeth at a less demanding position at which he should dominate, and then make the switch to LT 

Would give us one hell of an OL, too.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

This might be reason enough to do it.

Let him cut his teeth at a less demanding position at which he should dominate, and then make the switch to LT 

Would give us one hell of an OL, too.

A less demanding positions that doesn’t translate to his future. How many lineman have you seen start their careers at RG and than kick out to LT? LG makes sense cause a lot of the technique can translate, you can at least build up a foundation at LG. Keeping him on the right side will not make him a better LT. Hell he can get a feel of the competition just from practice alone going up against Garrett Vernon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

A less demanding positions that doesn’t translate to his future.

Sure it does if it eases his acclimation to the NFL.

Keeping him on the right side will not make him a better LT.

It's not about making him a better LT now. Callahan is confident that he could make the switch now. If he can make it now, or mid-season if need be, he will be able to make it when the time comes with NFL experience under his belt.

Hell he can get a feel of the competition just from practice alone going up against Garrett Vernon. 

Not game speed or intensity by any means.

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

Sure it does if it eases his acclimation to the NFL.

It's not about making him a better LT now. Callahan is confident that he could make the switch now. If he can make it now, or mid-season if need be, he will be able to make it when the time comes with NFL experience under his belt.

Not game speed or intensity by any means.

No it is about making him a better LT now. He needs to be making that switch now. Good look at Tyron Smith. Very similar. Complete stud RT at USC. Gets drafted by Dallas and starts RT for them. Actually has a pretty good year. Think PFF graded him out at 80. Following season he moves to LT and has a poor season compared to his rookie year. PFF graded him out at 70. 3rd season he was 88 by PF. Callahan was his OL coach. So for Smith to be an impact LT, took him 3 years. Browns don’t have 3 years for that. You get him acclimated to the left side as soon as possibly. 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Browns don’t have 3 years for that. You get him acclimated to the left side as soon as possibly. 

Are you expecting an immediate impact from him day 1? You’re going to be extremely disappointed if that’s the case.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Are you expecting an immediate impact from him day 1? You’re going to be extremely disappointed if that’s the case.

No I want him to be an impact player by yr 2. 

Compared to what he is replacing. He could be an impact because I doubt wills is going to be as lazy as a pass blocker or sloppy enough that he is getting a bunch of flags called on him like Robinson. 

Edited by buno67

46 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t think anyone should expect any rookie to be an immediate impact type of player year one (Myles only had 5.5 sacks iirc).

I do think he can be decent enough to hold down the spot respectably year one though, provided we give him the appropriate amount of help and put him in a position to succeed.

41 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think anyone should expect any rookie to be an immediate impact type of player year one (Myles only had 5.5 sacks iirc).

I do think he can be decent enough to hold down the spot respectably year one though, provided we give him the appropriate amount of help and put him in a position to succeed.

Myles had 7 sacks in 11 total games.

But I agree - hopefully Wills can be a solid player year one and blossom into an impact player going forward.

• Like 1

NFL related, expect a quiet May and June. In July news will ramp up. You’ll have the supplemental draft and free agents will start joining teams for training camp (if it happens). There’s no incentive for free agents to join teams right now.

However, I’m under the impression teams can do physicals on Tuesday.

Edited by candyman93

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

There’s no incentive for free agents to join teams right now.

Except those whose market value has not risen/materialized or has fallen (e.g., Clowney).

They would do well to sign the best deals they can strike right now.