Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

There is no fool like the old fool as I know realize there is a lot of hype in PFF, analysts, etc...that is based on opinion and not fact.  Fact is Callahan, Stefanski, Woods, Van Pelt and others surely have a MUCH better idea of value players that fit the new BRAND of CLE Browns. 

I initially thought two FA's on each side of the ball would basically fill the team needs and draft could be used for BPA.  Now, I just read Browns have $61M in FA money and then add the money by cutting Vernon, Kirksey, et al.  Then, the number gets 80M+.

Browns must think things through with their FA game plan and goals.  I thought Harris S was a sure thing until the 14M sal and then there is little value as he is solid but not all pro.  I thought Trent Williams was sure thing with Callahan connection but now there is an auction as well as health issues.

Bottom line is to be aggressive for young first time contract eligible and stay away from bad long term contracts like Harris S.

• Like 1

This could be just complete wishful thinking on my part. However, Berry got his first gig working for the Colts. A franchise who was entirely built around their QB. The Colts never really spent big money in free agency, they relied mostly on drafting and keeping their homegrown talent.

Ignoring the obvious greatness of Manning, here’s what he always had in Indy:

1. Stud HOF caliber WRs and a athletic TE

2. A decent runningback

3. 2 stud pass rushers on defense that capitalized when Indy would have the lead. Indys defenses sucked for the most part though.

4. A good offensive line

5. Coaches who wouldn’t get in the way

I feel like we have 1, 2, and possibly 5. Still need another pass rusher to compliment Myles and to massively upgrade the offensive line.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

This could be just complete wishful thinking on my part. However, Berry got his first gig working for the Colts. A franchise who was entirely built around their QB. The Colts never really spent big money in free agency, they relied mostly on drafting and keeping their homegrown talent.

Ignoring the obvious greatness of Manning, here’s what he always had in Indy:

1. Stud HOF caliber WRs and a athletic TE

2. A decent runningback

3. 2 stud pass rushers on defense that capitalized when Indy would have the lead. Indys defenses sucked for the most part though.

4. A good offensive line

5. Coaches who wouldn’t get in the way

I feel like we have 1, 2, and possibly 5. Still need another pass rusher to compliment Myles and to massively upgrade the offensive line.

The thing about this is the winter weather in Cleveland.  We don’t have a retractable room.  Sometimes we will have to rely upon the run more.  Thankfully we have the rbs for it assuming Hunt stays, to excess.  The oline though needs a major overhaul and will most likely get one.  I am nervous though that we will bring in both Williams and Peters.  One pretty old guy that has not played in a long time coming back from cancer.  Another very old guy that could fall off of a cliff at any time and also has recent injury issues.  Both of them will be breaking the bank.

7 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

The thing about this is the winter weather in Cleveland.  We don’t have a retractable room.  Sometimes we will have to rely upon the run more.  Thankfully we have the rbs for it assuming Hunt stays, to excess.  The oline though needs a major overhaul and will most likely get one.  I am nervous though that we will bring in both Williams and Peters.  One pretty old guy that has not played in a long time coming back from cancer.  Another very old guy that could fall off of a cliff at any time and also has recent injury issues.  Both of them will be breaking the bank.

I definitely agree with you that weather will dictate our offense later in a season. However, come playoff time, it’s a total toss up in regards to who we’d play and where. If you’re playing AFC South teams, the weather will be either phenomenal or in a dome. AFC West has a Vegas and California team. AFC east has 3/4 crappy weather teams, so that’d be a problem. Then there’s our own division with multiple garbage weather areas.

16 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I keep forgetting about Bill Callahan. I could see him wanting Ereck Flowers from Washington to play RG.

He will be a huge influencer regarding Trent Williams.

Gives us a great inside track to truly know if he is worth a trade.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s absolutely divorced from reality at this point.

Any GM that locks him up long term at 20 million a year should be fired immediately.

Yeah, he will be traded as a one year rental player and the Redskins will get compensated as such which may be less than the comp pick they would get for him after next year as a free agent.

Now he may just be trying to hurt his value to hurt the Redskins but whether he intended to or not, it is done. Doubt he fetches more than a 4th now.

I'm happy to not sign anybody who would break the bank. Save the money for players that earn it whilst playing here that have a much better chance of being worth the investment.

Try to fill our needs in FA with prove-it players, trade down from ten (if Wills is gone) and build the team up slowly. Show that we're committed to Berry/Stefanksi for the long haul.

• Like 1

I don't want to sign any free agent that gets a top 3 deal at their position. I'm desperately avoiding those dudes at all cost. That's a waste of precious cap space. There are plenty of options for us at positions of need in the draft. We shouldn't have to address anything in free agency with an urgency.

• Like 1