Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

If we let go of Schobert, our LBs are gonna look really questionable going into next season. If Wilson and Takitaki don't take the next step... oof.

Yeah, we can't lose Schobert and Kirksey without bringing in an established vet, it would likely turn out really bad. You shouldn't let a player like Schobert walk if you don't have to. I know a lot of us are lukewarm on him for whatever reason but players like that don't hit free agency often so we're in for a big downgrade in all likelihood if he walks and we may give up 6 yards per rush next year which means we're probably going to be bad on defense and struggle no matter what the offense does. Kirksey is a little above average but injuries seem to have his number recently so even if we do keep him it may not matter at some point.

I'd much rather figure out a way to keep Schobert and let Kirksey, Randall, Vernon and others go if it has to be one or the other. Joe is way more above replacement level than the other guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Mary Kay expects Joe Schoebert to NOT be retained per sources.

I’ve got mixed feelings because I simply think linebackers are as valuable as runningbacks.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1233894387001757697

I didn't open the link but her source would be her hunch which means nothing. She isn't in the know any more than us.

• Like 2

From my viewpoint, I believe we need 2 FA's on each side of the ball.  From a money standpoint, it looks like we have a budget of around 42M for FA if we want.

Yes, Schoebert is reported not to be retained which means we need to sign Kirksey, FA, or draft LB.  Most likely, FA!

I think Callahan has ONE pricey RG he has identified in FA as we are drafting LT with 1st pick.

I believe Stefanski has Harris S in tow

Van Pelt probably has a TE or WR he would like.

So bottom line LB, S on D and WR/TE and RG on O!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Higgins is testing free agency.

Browns allegedly want him back.

Would like him back but I'd imagine we'd only offer him a really team-friendly contract or a one year prove it-type of contract. Still think Baker would benefit from Higgins staying even though Higgins didn't do much last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Tennessee fans seem to be down on Conklin. That defiantly worries me especially giving him 15M+ a year. I’ll always trust local fans opinion on players before anything else. 

From what I can tell, they just think he's going to get overpaid, which is most likely true. I think they consider him to be a good run blocker but only average in pass protection.

10 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Conklin isnt much better than hubbard in pass pro. Shesh. You dont pay 18 million per year for average unless you are the jets. 

What is Hubbard's pass pro grade?

dude is also an elite run blocker and doesnt get flag. You know what helps with pass blocking, when you find yourself in 2nd and short or 3rd and short and defenses cant tee off with a pure speed rush 

Also the Browns should be run first team

27 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Conklin isnt much better than hubbard in pass pro. Shesh. You dont pay 18 million per year for average unless you are the jets. 

Uhhh what? Chris Hubbard is a literal piece of trash. Conklin is much better than Hubbard. 

Is he worth $18/yr? Hell no. But it’s a massive upgrade over Hubbard. He’s horrific. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, buno67 said:

What is Hubbard's pass pro grade?

dude is also an elite run blocker and doesnt get flag. You know what helps with pass blocking, when you find yourself in 2nd and short or 3rd and short and defenses cant tee off with a pure speed rush 

Also the Browns should be run first team

I imagine in the 40s. I was referring to strictly his pass pro.