Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Oliver will get us a comp pick next off-season and we are thin at DE so he'll probably stay.

No, he wouldn’t get a complete pick until the offseason after that. So it wouldn’t lead to anything until ‘22. Do we really want to wait that long to try and make this team better?

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

No, he wouldn’t get a complete pick until the offseason after that. So it wouldn’t lead to anything until ‘22. Do we really want to wait that long to try and make this team better?

This is VERY clearly already the strategy they are going for. We are going full Ravens on comp picks, where we will sign a ton of FAs one year, resign key guys and let everyone walk the next, sign a bunch of FA's, resign key guys and let everyone else walk. It got the Ravens like 15 more comp picks than any other franchise over the past 15 years.

While they are clearly making the team better this year, they are doing it while also looking to begin a cycle of cleaning UP on comp picks every other year. Like, they are absolutely hoping a few of these one years deals/Vernon blow up this year and get massive contracts next year so we can be rolling in the draft capital while not always having to trade down in the 1st/2nd to acquire that capital.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

This is VERY clearly already the strategy they are going for. We are going full Ravens on comp picks, where we will sign a ton of FAs one year, resign key guys and let everyone walk the next, sign a bunch of FA's, resign key guys and let everyone else walk. It got the Ravens like 15 more comp picks than any other franchise over the past 15 years.

While they are clearly making the team better this year, they are doing it while also looking to begin a cycle of cleaning UP on comp picks every other year. Like, they are absolutely hoping a few of these one years deals/Vernon blow up this year and get massive contracts next year so we can be rolling in the draft capital while not always having to trade down in the 1st/2nd to acquire that capital.

Im just saying hanging onto Vernon for that reason alone isn’t the #1 reason to hang on to him. If they believe he is their best option at That position or they can’t get someone else, yeah but only holding onto him to get a comp pick in ‘22, that is a waste of a roster spot. 

also is next offseason the offseason you don’t want to spend money? because the cap space should be going up because of the new CBA will be fully in place.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Makes sense, because I don’t expect us to NEED to be aggressive spenders next free agency. We finally have a foundation. 

Just now, buno67 said:

Im just saying hanging onto Vernon for that reason alone isn’t the #1 reason to hang on to him. If they believe he is their best option at That position or they can’t get someone else, yeah but only holding onto him to get a comp pick in ‘22, that is a waste of a roster spot. 

also is next offseason the offseason you don’t want to spend money? because the cap space should be going up because of the new CBA will be fully in place.

I think so much money will be flying around next offseason that it will make our heads spin lol. So I think they're putting us in a position where we can choose based on who works out and which draft picks show they're ready to step up to the plate. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I think so much money will be flying around next offseason that it will make our heads spin lol. So I think they're putting us in a position where we can choose based on who works out and which draft picks show they're ready to step up to the plate. 

I think they will pick wisely on who they bring back but I also think we will see a lot of guys testing the market from other teams. So we might let guys walk but I also think we will still be signing guys as well. We are nowhere to point that we need to start trying to copy what the ravens do. Once they prove they can draft and trust their scouts, then they can implement that plan. Also its not the easiest of plans to execute because you rarely see other teams pulling it off as well

10 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I think they will pick wisely on who they bring back but I also think we will see a lot of guys testing the market from other teams. So we might let guys walk but I also think we will still be signing guys as well. We are nowhere to point that we need to start trying to copy what the ravens do. Once they prove they can draft and trust their scouts, then they can implement that plan. Also its not the easiest of plans to execute because you rarely see other teams pulling it off as well

Most don't try. I think we underestimate how many people in this league are actively fighting a scraping for every tiny advantage and how many are okay just rolling things business as usual. And just because the Ravens do it way better than anyone else doesn't mean other good teams don't do something similar. If you look at the top 10 teams on # of comp picks received over the last couple decades something like 8/10 are the cream of the crop organizations. 

You don't say, "once we're good we will start instituting the things good teams do", you start those things right away and work them into the culture of your organization. You can't "wait to see if you're good at drafting," you just have to do everything you can to MAKE that true which includes maximizing the number of shots you get at it. You absolutely have to start changing the organizational culture right away and that includes starting to plan for the future each year while also helping out the present.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

4 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Most don't try. I think we underestimate how many people in this league are actively fighting a scraping for every tiny advantage and how many are okay just rolling things business as usual. And just because the Ravens do it way better than anyone else doesn't mean other good teams don't do something similar. If you look at the top 10 teams on # of comp picks received over the last couple decades something like 8/10 are the cream of the crop organizations. 

You don't say, "once we're good we will start instituting the things good teams do", you start those things right away and work them into the culture of your organization. You can't "wait to see if you're good at drafting," you just have to do everything you can to MAKE that true which includes maximizing the number of shots you get at it. You absolutely have to start changing the organizational culture right away and that includes starting to plan for the future each year while also helping out the present.

Yeah the cream of the crop organizations is the ones who have elite QBs and/or Elite Coaching, the ones that can make up for losing a player good enough that it earns a comp pick. those other teams at the top of the comp list are teams that get critized for letting too good of talent to walk away, like the Bengals. 

Browns cant be at the moment, where they start mining for comp picks by truly letting comp pick worthy players to leave. Browns need those guys still. Mining for comp pick is a formula that cant truly be grealy utulize until you are a good team tho. 

IMO you have to wait until you see how you and your scouting department truly operates and how successful you. Shouldnt you prove to yourself you can actually hit on the later round picks before you start letting legit players walk away and you have to rely on the comp pick players. Do you want to rely on 3rd/4th/5th rd comp picks, if you struggle to find good enough players in those rounds? wouldnt that just become a waste of resources?

Like you say, Browns need to change the culture, are you going to change the culture at the moment but letting a bunch of guys you signed walk away and then replace them with rookies? You are relying too much on rookies and inexperienced guys, especially on this defense where it lacks talent, experience, and leadership ability. 

Browns are not at that level yet. Like you said "You absolutely have to start changing the organizational culture right away". Yeah you have to change the cultural right away but its going to be a process and it needs to be done in steps. We just saw Dorsey come in and tried to change the culture the Browns in one big swoop. Some things hit and some things missed but it wasnt stable. Browns need to build that foundation. Once one aspect and solved and looks solidfied, then move onto the second phase, 3rd phase, and so fourth. Like they can start thinking about the '22 draft and comp picks, but truly should only be a focal point after things are done and things are being well executed now and things are in place and decided for '22. 

IT IS A PROCESS!!! You cant skip things to try and speed things up. I think we saw that last year. Dorsey tried to do everything way to quick and it lead to the franchise falling on its face last year. 

Want this team to prove they can build a foundation out of 1st and 2nd rd picks before they worry about building the depth and back end of the roster with the 3rd/4th/5th/6th comp picks

Edited by buno67