Jump to content
candyman93

Free Agency Discussion

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Thuney would be an A++ signing, despite being a guard. He’s easily the best offensive linemen in free agency.

Certainly would solidify the interior of the OL and relieve the pressure to get two solutions at T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd easily take Thuney over Conklin, especially when factoring in the contracts we can expect for each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, braylon said:

I'd easily take Thuney over Conklin, especially when factoring in the contracts we can expect for each.

I think baker can manage a bad rt if he has a solid interior. A bad right aide kills us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think baker can manage a bad rt if he has a solid interior. A bad right aide kills us.

A bad anything killed us. Robinson killed us, Hubbard killed us, and RG spot killed us. You don’t just solve one spot, they need to solve all of them. Sign either the best RG or best RT and acquire a good vet or good rookie for the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buno67 said:

A bad anything killed us. Robinson killed us, Hubbard killed us, and RG spot killed us. You don’t just solve one spot, they need to solve all of them. Sign either the best RG or best RT and acquire a good vet or good rookie for the other. 

Its easier to manage 1 put of 5 being bad instead of 3 of 5 being bad. Play calling makes a huge difference too. Our tackles were the same in 18 as 19. Zeitler was the main difference talent wise but the play calling and play action helped overcome the tackle deficiencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll spoil the surprise... School is gone, we will cut a # of decent players because "they cost too much" and our signings will be underwhelming despite having 70 mil in cap space. 

 

We want believe the team is in win now mode, but I dont think it's as urgent as if Dorsey was here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like Thuney is a significantly better player than Conklin. I'd be shocked if he came cheaper, but I'd be all for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

I'll spoil the surprise... School is gone, we will cut a # of decent players because "they cost too much" and our signings will be underwhelming despite having 70 mil in cap space. 

 

We want believe the team is in win now mode, but I dont think it's as urgent as if Dorsey was here.

Don’t confuse Dorsey’s poor cap management skills with being aggressive.  He spent like a drunken sailor both here and in KC and it’s why he’s no longer employed here or there.

He hit some home runs in the draft, but his FA signing have by and large been awful.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I feel like Thuney is a significantly better player than Conklin. I'd be shocked if he came cheaper, but I'd be all for it.

I don't feel like doing the research.. But I'd imagine top OT in a FA class essentially always gets paid more than the top OG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, braylon said:

I don't feel like doing the research.. But I'd imagine top OT in a FA class essentially always gets paid more than the top OG.

Conklin is a B as a tackle.

Thuney is an A as a guard.

 

That's why I'd assume he would get about the same. Thuney is elite. Conklin is a solid starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highest paid OG in the league makes about $14mil, highest paid OT makes about $18mil. Rumors have Conkin in the $19mil - $20mil range. If we just assume Thuney is about to become the highest paid guard in the league and make $15mil we're still looking at less money for him than for Conklin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Conklin is a B as a tackle.

Thuney is an A as a guard.

 

That's why I'd assume he would get about the same. Thuney is elite. Conklin is a solid starter.

Fair logic. I hope you're wrong, for our sake lol. But we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nugpimpen said:

Its easier to manage 1 put of 5 being bad instead of 3 of 5 being bad. Play calling makes a huge difference too. Our tackles were the same in 18 as 19. Zeitler was the main difference talent wise but the play calling and play action helped overcome the tackle deficiencies.

Zeitler wasn’t the main difference.  Play calling was a huge impact on the OL. In ‘18, we were playing with tempo and had baker getting the ball out quick. This past season, Freddie was calling a lot of 5 step and 7 step drop back and doing no favors for our OL. ‘18 they picked the perfect time for their homerun shots. This past season, it seemed like Freddie was going for the homerun every chance he got. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, braylon said:

Highest paid OG in the league makes about $14mil, highest paid OT makes about $18mil. Rumors have Conkin in the $19mil - $20mil range. If we just assume Thuney is about to become the highest paid guard in the league and make $15mil we're still looking at less money for him than for Conklin.

RT is a far more import position than RG tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nugpimpen said:

I'll spoil the surprise... School is gone, we will cut a # of decent players because "they cost too much" and our signings will be underwhelming despite having 70 mil in cap space. 

 

We want believe the team is in win now mode, but I dont think it's as urgent as if Dorsey was here.

Than you might as well trade All the talent because if we aren’t in a win now mode there is no reason to have the talent on the team now cause it’s a waste of resources. Why keep Garrett when his impact is Meaningless, might as well get picks for him. Same thing for OBJ Landry Ward and Chubb. If we aren’t in a win now mode, than our talent is better utilized to gain draft capital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×