Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

39 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Trent Williams is out of his mind imo.

I could see him getting close to 20 on a one year deal perhaps, but no team is locking him in long term at that number.  At least I hope it ain’t us anyway...

I'd give him a short termed, heavily incentive laden contract where he has to achieve 90-95% of snaps throughout the season, incentives for Pro Bowl and All-Pro. I would put that carrot out in front of him and if he achieves it he gets paid and we get one of the best LTs in the NFL. Win, win...

• Like 3

Me thinks Trent will eventually be a Brown for 3rd rd from Houston!  It's the Harvard move to make when and if Trent agrees to deal with bonus incentives but NO new contract until next year or yearafter

Browns draft Wirfs for RG or Simmons LB with 1st, Hamilton DT OSU (he is a future sackmaster) with 2nd, and Tyler G/C or best S available with 3rd, roll the dice with the rest of picks with speed LB or WR or DE

O line would go from worst to top 5 with Conklin, Williams, and top graded rookie added to Tretter, and Bitonio , all pro caliber with new all pro coach Callahan who will also have TE's and WR's learn to block on the line.  Chubbs would have a chub and Hunt would be the hunter.  Play action would be unprecedented.

Defense would add two impact players and the middle would be tight with most impressive pass rush, Vernon in shape is solid but I see Harvard letting go if he can find a solution that makes $ense

Special teams would benefit with upgrades and new KR/PR from Akron

• Like 1

19 hours ago, #32 said:

Me thinks Trent will eventually be a Brown for 3rd rd from Houston!  It's the Harvard move to make when and if Trent agrees to deal with bonus incentives but NO new contract until next year or yearafter

The Harvard move is to give up zero in valuable draft assets to take on a 32 year old LT who hasn't played a snap since 2018 or a full season since 2013. If he gets cut and we can talk a rental/rebuild your value type deal, then for sure.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Thank you DePo!

Have we released Hubbard yet?

I’m guessing they wait until after the draft, if it happens at all.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I imagine we will keep Vernon this year.

Yeah did imagine.  If we focus on resigning our own guys next year and he walks, he could get us a comp pick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m guessing they wait until after the draft, if it happens at all.

I wasn't sure how that all would factor in with roster bonuses, deadlines, etc. Conklin is definitely a RT, so moving Hubbard to LT (I laughed too) doesn't make sense for many reasons. If we were to draft an OT/acquire another one like Williams (after he's cut or for a Day 3 pick) then it may make sense to cut him. In my ideal situation, I acquire Williams for a 5th and still draft an OT as an insurance policy and youth movement going forward. What are the odds Williams and Conklin both stay healthy all of 2020 anyway? 

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah did imagine.  If we focus on resigning our own guys next year and he walks, he could get us a comp pick.

And our DL depth is awful. We have to roll the dice a little, hope he's healthy and can be a solid starter opposite Myles this year, and roll with him. We can't cut too many guys and create major voids that can't be filled, especially when we are #1 in the league in cap space. We can afford him this year, have him as a plug and play starter, get a comp pick, and draft a DE in 2021.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I wasn't sure how that all would factor in with roster bonuses, deadlines, etc. Conklin is definitely a RT, so moving Hubbard to LT (I laughed too) doesn't make sense for many reasons. If we were to draft an OT/acquire another one like Williams (after he's cut or for a Day 3 pick) then it may make sense to cut him. In my ideal situation, I acquire Williams for a 5th and still draft an OT as an insurance policy and youth movement going forward. What are the odds Williams and Conklin both stay healthy all of 2020 anyway? 

As far as Hubbard, the only thing I can think is they want to land their replacement before cutting him.  If Williams doesn’t work out, the draft goes wonky, etc.

Id be surprised if he’s here week 1.

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And our DL depth is awful. We have to roll the dice a little, hope he's healthy and can be a solid starter opposite Myles this year, and roll with him. We can't cut too many guys and create major voids that can't be filled, especially when we are #1 in the league in cap space. We can afford him this year, have him as a plug and play starter, get a comp pick, and draft a DE in 2021.

Yep, agreed.