Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

RT is a far more import position than RG tho

Yes, which is why an inferior player is going to make superior money. I don't know if you misunderstood my post or you were just agreeing with the point I was making lol.

Just now, braylon said:

Yes, which is why an inferior player is going to make superior money. I don't know if you misunderstood my post or you were just agreeing with the point I was making lol.

Oh, or you were stating your argument for paying Conklin over paying Tuney. If that's the case.. no thanks.

Thuney makes it easier for a rookie RT to start alongside him. We can also grab an experienced TE who can block to help out early on too.

I'd rather do that than overpay for an average pass blocking RT with a rookie/average RG.

Edit: Conklin was also receiving a lot of help to achieve his average ratings too.

Edited by Don Roshi
  • Like 1

Just now, Don Roshi said:

Thuney makes it easier for a rookie RT to start alongside him. We can also grab an experienced TE who can block to help out early on too.

I'd rather do that than overpay for an average pass blocking RT with a rookie/average RG.

Zeitler for vernon means we need a rg and a de. If we kept him just a de. 

We need atleast onne vet olinemen this free agency. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, braylon said:

you make it sound like Conklin isnt a good player. Dude is one of the best run blocking tackles in the game. Everyone wants to kill him on his pass blocking but out of all the tackles, left and right, he was ranked 32nd as a pass blocker.  we also have no idea what the scheme was for the titans. Scheme could help improve his blocking. dont forget in '18 when Freddie made Robinson and Hubbard look service as tackle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

you make it sound like Conklin isnt a good player. Dude is one of the best run blocking tackles in the game. Everyone wants to kill him on his pass blocking but out of all the tackles, left and right, he was ranked 32nd as a pass blocker.  we also have no idea what the scheme was for the titans. Scheme could help improve his blocking. dont forget in '18 when Freddie made Robinson and Hubbard look service as tackle

So you propose to break the bank to outbid the Jets, who notoriously overpay in free agency, for a guy who is a middle of the pack pass blocker?

8 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

So you propose to break the bank to outbid the Jets, who notoriously overpay in free agency, for a guy who is a middle of the pack pass blocker?

Did I say break the bank for him? Just some people act like they browns shouldn’t even consider him. 

don’t just say middle of the pack pass blocker, you say elite run blocker, who has been at least an avg pass blocker. Don’t act like his run blocking wont be extremely valuable. Hubbard was a god awful run blocker. Won’t you feel comfortable knowing the browns might have a dude on the right side they know they could run behind. Stops teams for automatic thinking it’s going to be behind Bit. 

also what was Conklins pass block grade after they switched QBs and truly started to run the ball. First 8 games, Henry only topped 90 rushing yards twice. So do we know Conklin was the reason he was avg pass blocker or scheme and QB play wasn’t part of the issue. 

Easier to hide a guard than a tackle. Rather sandwich a guard between two studs in JCT and Conklin than try to constantly use TE and RBs to help the tackle. Those dudes can be better utilized

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Did I say break the bank for him? Just some people act like they browns shouldn’t even consider him. 

don’t just say middle of the pack pass blocker, you say elite run blocker, who has been at least an avg pass blocker. Don’t act like his run blocking wont be extremely valuable. Hubbard was a god awful run blocker. Won’t you feel comfortable knowing the browns might have a dude on the right side they know they could run behind. Stops teams for automatic thinking it’s going to be behind Bit. 

also what was Conklins pass block grade after they switched QBs and truly started to run the ball. First 8 games, Henry only topped 90 rushing yards twice. So do we know Conklin was the reason he was avg pass blocker or scheme and QB play wasn’t part of the issue. 

Easier to hide a guard than a tackle. Rather sandwich a guard between two studs in JCT and Conklin than try to constantly use TE and RBs to help the tackle. Those dudes can be better utilized

No, I'm not saying the Browns shouldn't even consider him. I'm saying I'd rather pay Thuney than Conklin. Conklin is probably going to be the highest paid offensive lineman in the league when he gets his new contract, that's undoubtedly too much. I want to sign a good starter in FA, if that's Conklin, then so be it. I won't complain if we sign him. I'll be happy honestly. I just would much rather sign a better player for less money in Thuney.

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/05/eagles-plan-to-let-jason-peters-test-the-market/

I get that this guy is 38, but if he isn't trying to "break the bank," it could be a great signing.  You could play him at LT this upcoming year, draft a guy at 10 (my preference is Wirfs)  he could play at RT, with the thought that either next year, or the year after, he moves to LT.

I just don't know how much juice is left, and what he is going to be asking for?  All that matters!!!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/05/eagles-plan-to-let-jason-peters-test-the-market/

I get that this guy is 38, but if he isn't trying to "break the bank," it could be a great signing.  You could play him at LT this upcoming year, draft a guy at 10 (my preference is Wirfs)  he could play at RT, with the thought that either next year, or the year after, he moves to LT.

I just don't know how much juice is left, and what he is going to be asking for?  All that matters!!!

It also allows you to draft a guy round 2-4 to hopefully develop for next year.

• Like 2

I'd be fine with doing something like:

Peters: 2 years, $10 million, $8 guaranteed upfront

#10: Wirfs, OT

2nd: Winfield, S

3rd: Claypool, WR

3rd Round: Cleveland, OT

LT: Peters

LG: Bitonio

C: Tretter

RG: FA/Draft Pick

RT: Wirfs

...and by 2021/2022, hopefully Cleveland can step in and be an average/above average starter for us at RT and Wirfs bumps to LT.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd be fine with doing something like:

Peters: 2 years, $10 million, $8 guaranteed upfront

#10: Wirfs, OT

2nd: Winfield, S

3rd: Claypool, WR

3rd Round: Cleveland, OT

LT: Peters

LG: Bitonio

C: Tretter

RG: FA/Draft Pick

RT: Wirfs

...and by 2021/2022, hopefully Cleveland can step in and be an average/above average starter for us at RT and Wirfs bumps to LT.

I feel like if we did this, we would have Ezra Cleveland start at RT and Wirfs at RG unless we signed a big-time RG in free agency.

...but I'd be cool with that scenario. I'd rather not sign Peters though. He's so damn old and isn't really a great fit in a ZBS.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It also allows you to draft a guy round 2-4 to hopefully develop for next year.

I been preaching Peters from the start

he allows you to go BPA at 10 whether we groom a tackle or get one in the later round. Or even possibly get by for a year depending how the draft pans out 

With Peters' draft history, you absolutely do not consider him a "safe" stop gap. I'm okay signing him, but essentially I'd be viewing him as a swing tackle. I'm happy if I get 10 good games out of him and the other guy needs to be able to start as well.

As far as Thuney goes, I am hesitant for one big reason and that is Dante Scarnecchia. New England has a long, long history of OL looking awesome with them, signing big deals elsewhere, and being meh. I think Scar got so much out of his guys that I always assume signing an OL away from them that he would regress.

• Like 1