Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

42 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

PFF stats are fine, but this is where I have a issue. 

Vernon was #111th in Sacks, #174th in TFLs and only generated 1 Forced Fumble.

For $17 million per year, I expect a lot more than being good at pressures. I expect him to finish those pressures and create more game changing plays. Need to see more drive killing sacks, stuffing the RB for a 4 yard loss and some strip sack fumbles for $17 million. Hes not doing any of that. Hes not that type of high end DE.

so are you saying we can trade him straight up for Kahlil

8 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

so are you saying we can trade him straight up for Kahlil

Im saying we should cut him with $0 dead cap hit and sign somebody cheaper who will offer the same production/impact on the field if not more like Clowney who is a better player.

Would you rather have Clowney for 15m/yr or Vernon for 17m/yr.

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im saying we should cut him with $0 dead cap hit and sign somebody cheaper who will offer the same production/impact on the field if not more like Clowney who is a better player.

Would you rather have Clowney for 15m/yr or Vernon for 17m/yr.

We can have both.

mindblown.gif

Just now, ditchdigger said:

We can have both.

mindblown.gif

Would love it but seems doubtful at this point. Like I said in my first post I cant belive all of the nerd cap wizards didnt make Vernons contract the first priority when they got down to work considering its such a massive red flag on the roster.

43 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Would love it but seems doubtful at this point. Like I said in my first post I cant belive all of the nerd cap wizards didnt make Vernons contract the first priority when they got down to work considering its such a massive red flag on the roster.

His playing a premium position and only having a year left on the deal give Vernon some leverage here to not come down (much?) with his contract. We might be able to shake him down 😀 for a few million, though, depending on how he feels about possibly being cut/plunging late into free agency with potential contract devaluation after getting injured last year.

Just now, NudeTayne said:

His playing a premium position and only having a year left on the deal give Vernon some leverage here to not come down (much?) with his contract. We might be able to shake him down 😀 for a few million, though, depending on how he feels about possibly being cut/plunging late into free agency with potential contract devaluation after getting injured last year.

lol yeah exactly. Its more of a situation where you tell him what they are going to offer him or tell him have fun signing a 1 yr. $4 million deal somewhere else at the back end of FA.

35 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

His playing a premium position and only having a year left on the deal give Vernon some leverage here to not come down (much?) with his contract. We might be able to shake him down 😀 for a few million, though, depending on how he feels about possibly being cut/plunging late into free agency with potential contract devaluation after getting injured again last year.

fify

36 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

lol yeah exactly. Its more of a situation where you tell him what they are going to offer him or tell him have fun signing a 1 yr. $4 million deal somewhere else at the back end of FA.

Hey, good luck with that. Keep us up to date on how it all works out on your Madden franchise.

This organization has absolutely zero leverage on forcing him to take a pay cut. Most deal reworks involve moving salary to guaranteed money to lessen the cap hit. His contract has zero guaranteed money so there is no incentive for the team to do that.

The team has a ridiculous amount of cap room, so there is no incentive for the team to cut him for cap reasons.

The team has only 1 other starting caliber DE. So the team would damage itself by cutting him.

The team will get compensatory consideration for any new deal he signs next year, potentially netting a 3rd round pick.

Factoring in everything,  there is zero incentive to cut him, and doing so would damage the team in the present and the future.

It. Ain't. Happening.

Clowney or Griffin signing may change the situation, but they can afford both, so even then they may still keep him because you need pass rushers.

I can tell you're hung up on his cap number, due to the exaggeration (it's 15.5, not 17), but that number is not hindering the team in any way whatsoever. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Here's the thing. There aren't too many teams, if any, that would say no to Olivier Vernon on a 1 year deal for 15.5M in 2020.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Hey, good luck with that. Keep us up to date on how it all works out on your Madden franchise.

This organization has absolutely zero leverage on forcing him to take a pay cut. Most deal reworks involve moving salary to guaranteed money to lessen the cap hit. His contract has zero guaranteed money so there is no incentive for the team to do that.

The team has a ridiculous amount of cap room, so there is no incentive for the team to cut him for cap reasons.

The team has only 1 other starting caliber DE. So the team would damage itself by cutting him.

The team will get compensatory consideration for any new deal he signs next year, potentially netting a 3rd round pick.

Factoring in everything,  there is zero incentive to cut him, and doing so would damage the team in the present and the future.

It. Ain't. Happening.

Clowney or Griffin signing may change the situation, but they can afford both, so even then they may still keep him because you need pass rushers.

I can tell you're hung up on his cap number, due to the exaggeration (it's 15.5, not 17), but that number is not hindering the team in any way whatsoever. 

The only thing I took from this is that you extremely overvalue how good Vernon is a player and my point is not to cut him for nothing. My point is cut him to free up 17 MORE million in cap space to sign a actual difference maker at the position like Clowney. Im not advocating cutting him for nothing, I want them to cut him IF that helps them sign a better alternative who is actually elite at playing football.

Just so happens there is one of those guys currently sitting in FA without a team that wants to get paid.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Street free agents, late round pick or UDFAs.

You can swing a dead cat and hit at least 5 of 'em better than Chad.

Why so eager to get rid of him? Didn’t play in ‘18. Well Gregggg Williams didn’t really believe in playing depth defensive lineman. ‘19 actually sees some playing time the last quarter of the season because of injuries and played just fine. Why not see what he does next season?

• Like 2