Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

52 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Eli Apple is not good. 

to be a sure starter, yeah not good but for a depth player, I would take a chance on him. I would still take him for a potential #2=#4. Sill Young enough that he deserves to take a gamble on. He played better for the Saints once he was designated as the #2/#3 corner. He would be that way in Cleveland if brought in. Browns could do a lot worst for DB depth than him.

Edited by buno67

24 minutes ago, buno67 said:

to be a sure starter, yeah not good but for a depth player, I would take a chance on him. I would still take him for a potential #2=#4. Sill Young enough that he deserves to take a gamble on. He played better for the Saints once he was designated as the #2/#3 corner. He would be that way in Cleveland if brought in. Browns could do a lot worst for DB depth than him.

He’s good enough that the Giants gave up on him as a first round pick on a similar timeline as we gave up on Corey Coleman.

Sure, he can come in and be a camp body and compete for a back up spot. Beyond that, I wouldn’t hold my breath on him getting any further up the depth chart. 

35 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

He’s good enough that the Giants gave up on him as a first round pick on a similar timeline as we gave up on Corey Coleman.

Sure, he can come in and be a camp body and compete for a back up spot. Beyond that, I wouldn’t hold my breath on him getting any further up the depth chart. 

True Giants gave up on him like we gave up Coleman but a big difference is Coleman did nothing else on those new teams. Apple actually played for the Saints and contributed on their defense. He still has potential. Will he ever teach it maybe but I’d still give him a shot. Def be worth a back up corner spot

Edited by buno67

19 minutes ago, buno67 said:

True Giants gave up on him like we gave up Coleman but a big difference is Coleman did nothing else on those new teams. Apple actually played for the Saints and contributed on their defense. He still has potential. Will he ever teach it maybe but I’d still give him a shot. Def be worth a back up corner spot

Maybe, but he's going to command more than 4th-5th CB money. We already have a strong 4 at CB. We don't need to add Apple's salary to the group.

CB1: Ward
CB2: Greedy
NCB: Johnson
DIME: Mitchell
DEPTH: Donovan Olumba
DEPTH: Draft Pick/Tavierre Thomas/Robert Jackson

I can all but guarantee you we won't even sniff around at adding Eli Apple. Plus, he's a mental midget. I don't want soft players on this defense. It was the death of our season last year.

I have mixed feelings about clowney. He’s highly overrated. But his impact is larger than just sack numbers so you can look at that. I’ve seen him completely dominate OTs without getting to the qb and he’s great against the run. But Vernon costs us nothing guaranteed and he’s an expired contract. So we can go after someone next year.  Equally as injury prone. 

21 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I have mixed feelings about clowney. He’s highly overrated. But his impact is larger than just sack numbers so you can look at that. I’ve seen him completely dominate OTs without getting to the qb and he’s great against the run. But Vernon costs us nothing guaranteed and he’s an expired contract. So we can go after someone next year.  Equally as injury prone. 

I'd be all for giving Clowney a one or two year deal, but he's not a dude who I want to give big money to over 4-5 years.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Yep, it would cost us better players in the future.

Yeah give him a two year day team option on the third or something. Pay him up front. Put him at LT his best position and just tell him be productive as possible and max out a contract two years from now. I’ve been saying Clowney for a while it makes a ton of sense. 

22 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

ok I’m all in on clowney  

The past two seasons has been his best 2 season stretch, so he has hit is prime but injury history is the only scary aspect about him. He is worth the risk thk

If we sign Clowney, I’d still keep Vernon. Theoretically all he, Myles, and Clowney should be more likely to stay healthy playing less snaps  and have fresh legs late in games. Also you could probably play Vernon or Garret inside in obvious passing situations.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

If we sign Clowney, I’d still keep Vernon. Theoretically all he, Myles, and Clowney should be more likely to stay healthy playing less snaps  and have fresh legs late in games. Also you could probably play Vernon or Garret inside in obvious passing situations.

This. Maybe both walk after this season and we get a 3rd and 4th compensatory. We can pay $16 mil to Clowney for a 1yr rental with option to buy/tag & trade. Law of averages said at least one of the two misses some time with injuries and we can afford them both for this season, so...yup.