Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

1 year rental on Clowney? Sign me up. This defensive roster is BAD right now outside of Myles and Ward, with an average to slightly above average DT situation. Our LB are poor, S situation is really bad, and depth is a major concern.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

1 year rental on Clowney? Sign me up. This defensive roster is BAD right now outside of Myles and Ward, with an average to slightly above average DT situation. Our LB are poor, S situation is really bad, and depth is a major concern.

Tl;dr pretty much our entire defense has weaknesses. 

43 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

1 year rental isn’t happening. Clowney isnt signing for less than 3 years. I wouldn’t want to lose him after a year anyway. 

If Jadeveon Clowney is looking for a multi-year deal, I think he is going to need to look elsewhere. We have some really good homegrown talents that are coming up on a contract year within a couple seasons. The most I would give Clowney is a two-year deal. He would really help us, but he’s not worth setting the team back over either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I haven’t been for signing Clowney as I assumed he’d be getting a monster deal for multiple years.

If we can get him on a one year deal, that would be incredible.  Not only would we have the best DE rotation in the league, he’d potentially earn us another comp pick if he has a good season.

This is where I’m at. Couldn’t stand a long term contract. Short term?  Sign me up. Or sign him up...whatever

• Like 2

I don't think our defense is that bad on paper.

1. Sign JaDeveon Clowney DE
2. Sign Nigel Bradham SLB

Draft:

2nd Round: Antoine Winfield FS-------------Great ball skills and tackling. Just a tremendous "football player" whose only questions are his durability and his size.
4th Round: Shaq Quarterman MLB----------Elite leader of a defense. Sure tackler and destroyer of guards and fullbacks. Athletically average.
6th Round: Essang Bassey CB------------My steal of the draft. Can play any type of coverage and not allow separation. Sticky.
7th Round: Michael Pinckney WLB------------Master of none, but very good at everything linebacker. Can play 3 LB spots in a 4-3.
UDFA: David Moa DT---------Underrated pass rushing spark plug DT. Depth.
UDFA: Zach McCloud SLB---------Excellent abilities, but plays a little out of control. Special Teams depth with starter potential in the long term.

LE: JaDeveon Clowney/Adrian Clayborn      (A- Unit, if not higher. Excellent pair of base DE's)
DT: Sheldon Richardson/Larry Ogunjobi/Andrew Billings/David Moa      (A- Unit, if not higher. No superstar, but 3 solid starters with upside.)
RE: Myles Garrett/Chad Thomas      (A Unit. The only reason it isn't an A+ is because Chad Thomas is only decent as depth.)
WLB: Mack Wilson/Michael Pinckney      (B- Unit. Our weakest link, in my opinion.)
MLB: Shaq Quarterman/BJ Goodson/Sione Takitaki      (B+ Unit. I love Quarterman and I think the depth is excellent.)
SLB: Nigel Bradham/Zach McCloud      (B- Unit. Takitaki can play some SLB too, with Bradham being the cover guy.)

CB: Denzel Ward/Greedy Williams/Kevin Johnson/Terrence Mitchell/Essang Bassey/Donovan Olumba      (A- Unit. I love this group, to be honest. I think they're going to shine.)
FS: Antoine Winfield/Sheldrick Redwine      (B+ Unit. Winfield is a star in the making and Redwine is ok depth.)
SS: Karl Joseph/Andrew Sendejo      (B Unit. Both are solid starters that can whack your face off. Not elite players, but we aren't talking about bums here.)

I don't see why this defense couldn't be one of the best in the NFL.

Edited by BleedTheClock

My guess is that we want Trent Williams. If we can’t land him draft night, we will pursue Clowney more aggressively.

@JohnClaytonNFL on @BullandFox

more on Clowney: "#Browns would be the only team right now, I don't know if they would consider it, to pay him $17 million. Seattle's going to wait it out. Cleveland might have to see if they can get a physical. In meantime, he waits and suffers."

https://mobile.twitter.com/KeithBritton86/status/1247627886422622210

Sounds like we are still in on Clowney. Ig we get him i hope we keep vernon. Make our defensive ends an absolute strength and it would give us a lot of versatility. 

We could play some 3-4 looks

Clowney

Myles

Larry O 

Richardson

Vernon 

That would be a lot of heat of the qb and pretty stout vs the run too. Send 5 drop 6.