Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

As far as Thuney goes, I am hesitant for one big reason and that is Dante Scarnecchia. New England has a long, long history of OL looking awesome with them, signing big deals elsewhere, and being meh. I think Scar got so much out of his guys that I always assume signing an OL away from them that he would regress.

Thuney was an excellent draft prospect too though. He is a legitimate stud. It's not like he was some late round pick that blossomed in that scheme. He was a highly touted prospect that has been good ever since his first day on the job. I don't question whether he is good or not. I question whether it's going to be worth the money we spend on him.

With a ZBS, finding guards should not be difficult. There are a slew of guys we can pick in the 3rd-4th round range and get great production.

• Like 1

So I am someone who admittedly does not know much about blocking schemes/the intricacies of the positions along the offensive line. If so many people say (correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like it's commonly said) ZBS makes offensive lineman and RBs better.. why wouldn't everyone just do it lol?

4 minutes ago, braylon said:

So I am someone who admittedly does not know much about blocking schemes/the intricacies of the positions along the offensive line. If so many people say (correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like it's commonly said) ZBS makes offensive lineman and RBs better.. why wouldn't everyone just do it lol?

Long story short, you need the coaches and personnel. Also, Coaches believe in their own philosophy. If it’s not a ZBS it’s probably never going to be.

Edited by pnies20

12 minutes ago, braylon said:

Not all linemen are built for zone blocking, generally they have to be able to move laterally well. The opposite of what has been the norm in the nfl is coveted and that is mobility over size. 

Some comments on the Shanahan zbs scheme from Joe Thomas i remember over the years. Shanny made Greco lose a ton of weight, something like 30 pounds in an off season, he performed his best he was at 320 then. Shanny loved Bitonio as a zb gaurd, stating that he had an amazing ability to get his hand onto the chest of a dlinemen faster than anyone he had seen. Stopping them from penetrating the run. The job of the line is to stop pentration, move laterally well, rather than to simply blow defenders off the line. 

Mike Shanahan had a line in the late 90s/ early 2000s that averaged under 300 pounds, the lightest in the nfl, kyle had the lightest in the nfl in 2019. 

A key feature on the shanhan offense is the run and the pass look the same early on in the play. Joe and hawk rave abput that. It is like a symphony put together to attack the defense and keep them off balance. 

In 2014 the quickened offense we used was the turbo offense, relied on us getting to the line before the head set cut out, kyle Shanahan counting guys and we ran the ball on the side that favored our numbers. Hoa technique is used by sean mcvey, offense goes to the line and he breaks it down for goff. 

The runningback in the shanahan systems job is to make one cut and go. The reliance is on acceleration and vision. Both are traits of one Mr Nick Chubb. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Thuney was an excellent draft prospect too though. He is a legitimate stud. It's not like he was some late round pick that blossomed in that scheme. He was a highly touted prospect that has been good ever since his first day on the job. I don't question whether he is good or not. I question whether it's going to be worth the money we spend on him.

With a ZBS, finding guards should not be difficult. There are a slew of guys we can pick in the 3rd-4th round range and get great production.

This is where I’m at.

Spend a 3rd or 4th rounder on someone and let’s roll.

I’m not spending top of the market money on a second G ffs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

With Peters' draft history, you absolutely do not consider him a "safe" stop gap. I'm okay signing him, but essentially I'd be viewing him as a swing tackle. I'm happy if I get 10 good games out of him and the other guy needs to be able to start as well.

As far as Thuney goes, I am hesitant for one big reason and that is Dante Scarnecchia. New England has a long, long history of OL looking awesome with them, signing big deals elsewhere, and being meh. I think Scar got so much out of his guys that I always assume signing an OL away from them that he would regress.

There's definitely some truth to this. But Trent Brown is a recent example of a guy who left NE and still played well. But yeah, I can't think of any other NE OL that left and was as good as they were in New England.

Edited by DawgX

20 minutes ago, DawgX said:

There's definitely some truth to this. But Trent Brown is a recent example of a guy who left NE and still played well. But yeah, I can't think of any other NE OL that left and was good as they were in New England.

Joe andruzi sp, was pretty good for us. 

Part of it is that guys peak between 24-28, and they are usually out of new england after that. 

Also they have had the  best oline coach in football for 20+ years 

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Joe andruzi sp, was pretty good for us. 

Part of it is that guys peak between 24-28, and they are usually out of new england after that. 

Also they have had the  best oline coach in football for 20+ years 

I definitely don't recall him being pretty good for us. Quite the opposite actually.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I definitely don't recall him being pretty good for us. Quite the opposite actually.

You very well could be right, i dont remember to well to be honest. 

Your point probably stands then, from all accounts the LT for the giants sucks, Nate Solder, he is getting big bucks. 

Apparently we were going to trade for hin mid season last year, and we had put up a 1 for Trent Williams. Dorsey was pretty bad at that gm thing.

Edited by Kiwibrown

10 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/05/eagles-plan-to-let-jason-peters-test-the-market/

I get that this guy is 38, but if he isn't trying to "break the bank," it could be a great signing.  You could play him at LT this upcoming year, draft a guy at 10 (my preference is Wirfs)  he could play at RT, with the thought that either next year, or the year after, he moves to LT.

I just don't know how much juice is left, and what he is going to be asking for?  All that matters!!!

What do we do when he finally breaks down and he can’t play? We move the rookie over and now stuck with no one at RT...again. 

27 minutes ago, buno67 said:

What do we do when he finally breaks down and he can’t play? We move the rookie over and now stuck with no one at RT...again. 

We should draft two tackles, it could be that peters just needs to last 6-8 games to have value. 

Berry said he will be aggressive in acquiring talent. 

• Like 1