Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Given his hype and draft position he should have been what Garrett is.  Garrett had more sacks last year in 10 games than Clowney has had in any year in his career.

Well the dude started his career with basically a major knee injury. It’s why the browns want a physical of him first so they can know exactly what his medical and health frame would be. 

also no one would say Clowney has lived up to his draft hype but the dude is still a one of the better DEs in the league. 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Well the dude started his career with basically a major knee injury. It’s why the browns want a physical of him first so they can know exactly what his medical and health frame would be. 

also no one would say Clowney has lived up to his draft hype but the dude is still a one of the better DEs in the league. 

Clowney isn’t a great pass rusher, no two ways about it, but he’s decent and he’s an absolute monster against the run.  One of the best in the league at the DE position.

If we sign him and can rotate him with Myles and Vernon, all 3 will be set up to have very good seasons.

9 hours ago, brownie man said:

But we got Nick Chubb for Brock. We’d have to wait for a comp pick. 

now me I’d do it

but Berry is going to be efficient with our money 

What does that even mean? Browns have the most cap space by $13M over the next team.

35 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

What does that even mean? Browns have the most cap space by $13M over the next team.

When your 2nd highest paid player isn’t even a starter though. Idk man I just find that highly unlikely to happen. 15 million for a backup end no other team in the league would do that. 

Now like I said I would but I just don’t think it’s realistic. He wouldn’t even start 

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

Exactly. The dude clearly hates Clowney because he hasn't been Myles Garrett. Yeah, he's not as good as his name suggests. But he's still a stud DE that would improve our defense mightily if we bring him in here. I feel like Clowney stole his girl or something...the dude seems to hate on him for no reason.

The 34 year old Everson Griffen, a dude that openly talked about retiring last off-season and then got himself in trouble with the law for some weird stuff a year ago, has a higher ceiling than JaDeveon Clowney. Got it. Griffen is essentially done. Clowney has some really good years ahead of him.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Exactly. The dude clearly hates Clowney because he hasn't been Myles Garrett. Yeah, he's not as good as his name suggests. But he's still a stud DE that would improve our defense mightily if we bring him in here. I feel like Clowney stole his girl or something...the dude seems to hate on him for no reason.

The 34 year old Everson Griffen, a dude that openly talked about retiring last off-season and then got himself in trouble with the law for some weird stuff a year ago, has a higher ceiling than JaDeveon Clowney. Got it. Griffen is essentially done. Clowney has some really good years ahead of him.

I don’t hate him.  If he comes for a contest similar to what we have Clayborn I am all in.  That is not the case.  He will bring a contract like one of the top pass rushers and overall best DEs in the game.  He is nowhere near that.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Clowney isn’t a great pass rusher, no two ways about it, but he’s decent and he’s an absolute monster against the run.  One of the best in the league at the DE position.

If we sign him and can rotate him with Myles and Vernon, all 3 will be set up to have very good seasons.

If we sign Clowney Vernon is ancient history.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

Yes he did.  And he has never lived up to the hype as a result, so why pay him as if he had while passing on Griffen at a much more friendly contract, when Griffen is much more of a sure thing at half the cost?

38 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

I don’t hate him.  If he comes for a contest similar to what we have Clayborn I am all in.  That is not the case.  He will bring a contract like one of the top pass rushers and overall best DEs in the game.  He is nowhere near that.

Probably because he’s 10x the player Clayborn is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Probably because he’s 10x the player Clayborn is.

Exactly. People get wrapped up in box score stats too much. Clowney can run sideline to sideline like a safety. We need that to defend Lamar Jackson and finally stop the run to the outside. I don’t care if he costs 20M. He’s worth it. He’s never been a box score guy but he does so much more. He’s doubled all time and he still makes an impact on pass rush’s without having to get a sack. Watch Seahawks film from last year. He was their entire line. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Exactly. People get wrapped up in box score stats too much. Clowney can run sideline to sideline like a safety. We need that to defend Lamar Jackson and finally stop the run to the outside. I don’t care if he costs 20M. He’s worth it. He’s never been a box score guy but he does so much more. He’s doubled all time and he still makes an impact on pass rush’s without having to get a sack. Watch Seahawks film from last year. He was their entire line. 

Yeah his run defense alone should net him a big contract.
He faces constant double teams, even when he was with Houston.
He is used all over the place, moving inside, outside, hand in the dirt, 2-point stance, inside & outside linebacker....he's a chess piece that can be used anywhere.
He is still young. The medicals might be a little concerning, but so were the medicals on a million other guys that ended up having zero issues. It's worth the gamble.
He can contain QB's and RB's on the perimeter. It's a nightmare trying to get the edge on him. His length and speed make it almost impossible.
We don't have to sign him to a 4 year deal. We could probably sign him to a 1-year contract and see how it plays out. We have so much $$$$. Now is not the time to be frugal.

I feel like @DizzyDean hasn't watched Clowney play, but rather, has just box score scouted him and heard from others that he wasn't the elite player he was supposed to be.    There's a reason he's considered by most to be the top FA in the 2020 crop. Yeah he's going to get paid more than he's worth. Same with literally every other free agent that's ever been signed. He costs what he costs if it helps us win games...and you are about the only human on planet earth that doesn't think he will.    When you started comparing his impact to that of Adrian Clayborn's is when you lost me for good.

• Like 2

I feel like @DizzyDean hasn't watched Clowney play, but rather, has just box score scouted him and heard from others that he wasn't the elite player he was supposed to be.   

I feel like you haven’t read his posts or you’d know you’re wasting your time.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
Ok Nude, you know the drill
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Clowney and Myles would blow up screen plays and zone reads.

I wanna see Myles improve on his run defense but yes in theory they can. Vernon just doesn’t seem that fast. Seems like he just barely missed a lot of times last year on tackles behind the line.