Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Who are you thinking at RG? Hubbard?

Probably Teller or Forbes. Hubbard as backup. It’s not ideal but I think one of those two guys can grow into the spot. I don’t think they invest a ton in it .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Who are you thinking at RG? Hubbard?

I think we’ll draft one in the 3rd or 4th. It’s a great OL class and you’ll be looking at a really good starter at those spots I bet. In fact, I would double down on OL and take two interior OL in the 3rd, based on projections. Biadasz and Adeniji. Biadasz is the long-term C and Adeniji being the long-term RG.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think we’ll draft one in the 3rd or 4th. It’s a great OL class and you’ll be looking at a really good starter at those spots I bet. In fact, I would double down on OL and take two interior OL in the 3rd, based on projections. Biadasz and Adeniji. Biadasz is the long-term C and Adeniji being the long-term RG.

I mean, talent wise you wouldn’t be wrong in doing so, but they’re not going to spend 3 of their first 4 picks on OL imo nor are they going to carry 3 rookies on the active roster along the OL.

I think a T in R1-2 is a lock and I think an interior guy later is highly probable, but there are too many other holes and needs to go all in on the OL like that imo.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, talent wise you wouldn’t be wrong in doing so, but they’re not going to spend 3 of their first 4 picks on OL imo nor are they going to carry 3 rookies on the active roster along the OL.

I think a T in R1-2 is a lock and I think an interior guy later is highly probable, but there are too many other holes and needs to go all in on the OL like that imo.

Agreed. I think they'll take an interior OL in the middle or later part of the draft as a developmental guy with the plan in seeing how Forbes or Teller does at RG this year. If they suck, the rest of our OL will (hopefully) be good enough that it won't hurt us too badly to have poor RG play.

8 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Agreed. I think they'll take an interior OL in the middle or later part of the draft as a developmental guy with the plan in seeing how Forbes or Teller does at RG this year. If they suck, the rest of our OL will (hopefully) be good enough that it won't hurt us too badly to have poor RG play.

I’ve said it before and I’ll continue to say it, if they can’t work around one mediocre/poor guard they shouldn’t have a job.

This offense is beyond stacked with talent and our OL coach is arguably the best in the business. 3/5 OL spots are manned by established good to very good vets and the 4th will likely be a top 10 pick.  Make it work.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Now that weed won't get him suspended, should we take another crack at Antonio Callaway?

Also, isn't it a relief going into a draft without having to give two craps whether a prospect tokes up? It is for me. 

I don’t think weed was his only issue.  He came in out of shape as well and didn’t seem to give great effort.

I think there’s a reason he’s still unemployed by a team despite having 1st round talent and a very productive rookie season.  We may only know the half of his issues tbh.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think weed was his only issue.  He came in out of shape as well and didn’t seem to give great effort.

I think there’s a reason he’s still unemployed by a team despite having 1st round talent and a very productive rookie season.  We may only know the half of his issues tbh.

It seemed like he'd stop giving effort after he would screw up and knew a suspension was coming, like what's the point. Because other times you'd hear he was working hard, looking good.

Obviously, I could be completely wrong.

14 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

It seemed like he'd stop giving effort after he would screw up and knew a suspension was coming, like what's the point. Because other times you'd hear he was working hard, looking good.

Obviously, I could be completely wrong.

I think that speaks to things like determination, character, etc.  If you quit when things are hard or you’ve been faced with adversity, that’s not a great trait for this game.  It’s also not a trait a lot of organizations likely want to welcome into their locker room.

Also, does his suspension still stand?  Gotta wonder who wants to deal with that if it does.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll continue to say it, if they can’t work around one mediocre/poor guard they shouldn’t have a job.

This offense is beyond stacked with talent and our OL coach is arguably the best in the business. 3/5 OL spots are manned by established good to very good vets and the 4th will likely be a top 10 pick.  Make it work.

Only problem I see with that though is a OL is only as good as its weakest link. Though the biggest factor I think is Baker. With his size he needs a clean pocket to step up into and we have seen when he feels pressure he gets the yips and scrambles away. If you have the #80th ranked RG allowing pressure every few snaps its going to send the entire OL back into 2019.

Im not saying to invest a ton at the position but a high upside project in the 5-6th rounds would make me for comfortable 

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Only problem I see with that though is a OL is only as good as its weakest link. Though the biggest factor I think is Baker. With his size he needs a clean pocket to step up into and we have seen when he feels pressure he gets the yips and scrambles away.

I mean, scheming protections is a thing. Having a rb available to help is a thing.

If you have the #80th ranked RG allowing pressure every few snaps its going to send the entire OL back into 2019.

Which is why I said mediocre.  If they’re worse than literally every other starter and a dozen backups, yes, bring someone in.  I don’t think someone between Teller, Forbes and Hubbard will be that bad.

Im not saying to invest a ton at the position but a high upside project in the 5-6th rounds would make me for comfortable 

This is literally what Teller and Forbes were each of the past two drafts.