Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

21 minutes ago, buno67 said:

So your only comparison for him is a QB from over 20 years ago...not a good argument to be making. 

I didn’t even compare him to Steve Young, just the situation.  Young was also an interception machine.  But obviously very gifted to olay the position.

sitting behind Montana and learning from Walsh helped him fix that issue.  It is incredibly small minded to write someone as gifted completely off at this stage of his career.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

but yet Vernon created more pressures on passes than Griffen. 13.2% to 12.1%

So you are box score scouting, while a stat that accounted every snap by each player, states Vernon created more QB pressures compared to Griffen.

How many sacks did we see the Browns DL miss out on because of the secondary couldn't cover. Hell minny had the 7th best secondary and 3rd most INTs in the league cause they had a back 7 that forced QBs to hold onto the ball

What i was pointing out is that griffen will most likely play more games than Vernon. He has done historically.

The other side of the coin is that griffen could have been faving better tackles, he lines up overnthe left tackle. 13.2 and 12.1 are virtually the same number over a game, it is maybe one or two more pressure in a game. 

I mean, obviously Garrett Gilbert or someone like that would bring more value to the Browns in that roster spot right?

C’mon man (props to prime!).  This is not kizer who is wildly inaccurate and routinely misses by 10 yards while making terrible decisions.

Winston is pretty accurate.  Has a cannon, throws a very tight ball.  His problem is he is too confident in his own ability so he makes bad decisions at times.  Funny thing about coaches. They are paid to coach.  Any Qb coach or OC should love to have the opportunity to have this piece of clay on their shelf to mold over time behind the scenes.

Edited by DizzyDean

31 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

I mean, obviously Garrett Gilbert or someone like that would bring more value to the Browns in that roster spot right?

C’mon man (props to prime!).  This is not kizer who is wildly inaccurate and routinely misses by 10 yards while making terrible decisions.

Winston is pretty accurate.  Has a cannon, throws a very tight ball.  His problem is he is too confident in his own ability so he makes bad decisions at times.  Funny thing about coaches. They are paid to coach.  Any Qb coach or OC should love to have the opportunity to have this piece of clay on their shelf to mold over time behind the scenes.

I'm curious what his laser eye corrective surgery will do to his accuracy. Other than the interceptions, he is an above-average NFL quarterback. Of course the interceptions completely ruin him, but imagine if he just got a little more accurate and eliminated half of the interceptions. I understand why you would want him.

That said, I still think he expects to compete to start this year or even be given a starter job wherever he goes, and he still might want 15 million on a one-year deal or something like that, which wouldn't be ideally what we would want to do.

24 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm curious what his laser eye corrective surgery will do to his accuracy. Other than the interceptions, he is an above-average NFL quarterback. Of course the interceptions completely ruin him, but imagine if he just got a little more accurate and eliminated half of the interceptions. I understand why you would want him.

That said, I still think he expects to compete to start this year or even be given a starter job wherever he goes, and he still might want 15 million on a one-year deal or something like that, which wouldn't be ideally what we would want to do.

He may want that, but the reality will set in that there is not a market for him as a starter at this time.  If he has aspirations of that then the very best situation for him is a team like the Browns that have a young would be franchise QB in place that faltered last year and could be on shaker ground.

I don’t think it’s vision problems that lead to the INTs, but more of a Brett Favre syndrome to the next level.  So confident to fit the ball anywhere in double or triple coverage that he makes ill advised throws that get picked off.  

i believe that the right coaching could fix him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah Clowney is a beast. Is he a top 5 DE? No. But you don’t need to be to vastly improve our pass rushing potential. He would be facing single blocks routinely. Our interiors would never get doubled. Plus he is a beast against the run. And we are atrocious at stopping off tackle runs. 

I’d definitely be in the Clowney market. You’re going to pay more than he’s worth. That’s free agency. But we are so damn close that I wouldn’t mind going all-in. 

I mean they are already doing that with Vernon. So you could cut Vernon with $0 dead money and give a 3yr/36mill deal to Clowney. You could get a better pass rusher opposite of Myles and actually save a few dollars this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean they are already doing that with Vernon. So you could cut Vernon with $0 dead money and give a 3yr/36mill deal to Clowney. You could get a better pass rusher opposite of Myles and actually save a few dollars this year.

EXACTLY 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I doubt we’d save money this year. The bonuses would probably make his pay exceed over 20M this year. 

8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

What i was pointing out is that griffen will most likely play more games than Vernon. He has done historically.

The other side of the coin is that griffen could have been faving better tackles, he lines up overnthe left tackle. 13.2 and 12.1 are virtually the same number over a game, it is maybe one or two more pressure in a game. 

go look at a Garrett highlight from last year, he lined up against the RT quite a bit to make some plays. Garrett and Vernon flipped sides a lot last year. He played a lot on the right side cause they knew he would face more favorable match ups. So Vernon was facing the left tackles a decent amount and was still creating pressure

9 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

I didn’t even compare him to Steve Young, just the situation.  Young was also an interception machine.  But obviously very gifted to olay the position.

sitting behind Montana and learning from Walsh helped him fix that issue.  It is incredibly small minded to write someone as gifted completely off at this stage of his career.

Walsh and Young only over lapped for 2 years. 3 following seasons after Walsh left, Young wasnt anything special. 

My reason to give WInston a chance, isnt because of steve young. Especially in todays game, when those 2 eras are completely different now.

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Walsh and Young only over lapped for 2 years. 3 following seasons after Walsh left, Young wasnt anything special. 

My reason to give WInston a chance, isnt because of steve young. Especially in todays game, when those 2 eras are completely different now.

Yeah today’s game favors QBs much more than the game did back then.