Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

On 5/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, sdrawkcab321 said:

So when baker is staring down his target and throws a deshon kizer esc INT thats on Freddie? Nah. That’s on him. He’s got talent but he better start taking the game serious or we’ll be looking for another qb next year. 

I am glad you posted that video....I watched it about 6 times and graded each INT....now there are some that are close...I didnt include those, the INT's that I would not put on Baker Mayfield last year meet the following criteria 1. The Ball hit the WR in the hands and they COMPLETELY hand it to another player (6 times Callaway SF, 3rd string RB in Seattle, Njoku in Cinncy, Landry vs Seattle and OBJ vs Jets and OBJ in Miami) 2. Being hit as he threw the ball 2 times, (last play of the game needing a TD on 4th down vs the Rams, and 4th quarter vs the Raven trying to come back from 31-15) and the 1 WTF play (shovel pass VS NE, bad play call, TERRIBLE execution by the line) so in all honesty that is 9 INT's that are not on our QB......MORE if we want start talking about the WR running terrible pass routs (2 on Landry and 1 on Callaway) or WR's running into each other a crossing route..or the GREAT play made by Logan Ryan in the Tenn game, that would have been an INT on Patrick Maholms/Tom Brady/Drew Brees/Arron Rogers....not EVEN counting those.

In that entire cut up reel I saw Baker Mayfield throw 6 bad INT's.....

I am even MORE encouraged by the film you just put out there....I thought our QB was responsible for a LOT more picks than he actually was. Its not like Mitch Turbisky or Jameis Winston INT's where your asking yourself "Where in the Hell is He throwing the ball". If my QB hits a WR in the hands for an OBVIOUS TD, and the WR bobbles the ball and then underhand tosses it RIGHT to a DB.......Its the WR that needs replacing...not the QB.

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 4

If everyone is healthy this year and Wills is even average at LT opposite of Conklin at DT, we have arguably the best TE/WR situation in the league (KC is perhaps better) and 2 All Pro RB to go with a very good OL, perhaps even elite. I’m optimistic about Baker and company, and there’s zero reason to give anyone on that side of the ball the benefit of the doubt in 2020.

36 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I am glad you posted that video....I watched it about 6 times and graded each INT....now there are some that are close...I didnt include those, the INT's that I would not put on Baker Mayfield last year meet the following criteria 1. The Ball hit the WR in the hands and they COMPLETELY hand it to another player (6 times Callaway SF, 3rd string RB in Seattle, Njoku in Cinncy, Landry vs Seattle and OBJ vs Jets and OBJ in Miami) 2. Being hit as he threw the ball 2 times, (last play of the game needing a TD on 4th down vs the Rams, and 4th quarter vs the Raven trying to come back from 31-15) and the 1 WTF play (shovel pass VS NE, bad play call, TERRIBLE execution by the line) so in all honesty that is 9 INT's that are not on our QB......MORE if we want start talking about the WR running terrible pass routs (2 on Landry and 1 on Callaway) or WR's running into each other a crossing route..or the GREAT play made by Logan Ryan in the Tenn game, that would have been an INT on Patrick Maholms/Tom Brady/Drew Brees/Arron Rogers....not EVEN counting those.

In that entire cut up reel I saw Baker Mayfield throw 6 bad INT's.....

I am even MORE encouraged by the film you just put out there....I thought our QB was responsible for a LOT more picks than he actually was. Its not like Mitch Turbisky or Jameis Winston INT's where your asking yourself "Where in the Hell is throwing the ball". If my QB hits a WR in the hands for an OBVIOUS TD, and the WR bobbles the ball and then underhand tosses it RIGHT to a DB.......Its the WR that needs replacing...not the QB.

The adjusted INT rate did say Baker was the most unlucky QB last year because of things you mentioned. Now add in Stef scheme which will make the game a lot easier for Baker because it will be built off of the running game, Baker should have a much improved season IMO

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If everyone is healthy this year and Wills is even average at LT opposite of Conklin at DT, we have arguably the best TE/WR situation in the league (KC is perhaps better) and 2 All Pro RB to go with a very good OL, perhaps even elite. I’m optimistic about Baker and company, and there’s zero reason to give anyone on that side of the ball the benefit of the doubt in 2020.

You could say the potential going into ‘20 is far better than ‘19. With that, a lot of players said they fell into the trap last year. So this potential season, they will be even more prepared and more focused in and not willing to buy into their media clippings like last year.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I think the only question mark would be scheme and coaching, especially with the goofiness that’s likely going to play out re: covid.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

You could say the potential going into ‘20 is far better than ‘19. With that, a lot of players said they fell into the trap last year. So this potential season, they will be even more prepared and more focused in and not willing to buy into their media clippings like last year.

I don’t know that it was buying into media clippings as much as just coaching imo.

I was a huge Freddie fan after ‘18, but with some of the rumors that came our it’s surprising they let him finish the season tbh.  You can’t practice something all week and then abandon it on Sunday because of a gut feeling.  He also completely ignored analytics and reportedly wasn’t much of a worker.

It was obvious at times, but I’ve never seen a coach get less out of more in my life.

• Like 2

Point 1 Pittsburgh and Baltimore are as good as they can be.

Point 2 Cleveland has more upside then both teams

Point 3 Cleveland on paper is the most improved team in the AFC North,

4 draft Baltimore gets Queens linebacker I would not take Queens plus 2 number 1s for Willis just because of positional importance.

5 Right now OBJ probably passes Julio because of having 2nd year chemistry e.g. look at Landry first and second year.

6 The Browns were in the playoffs before Myles was suspended the Browns are good enough to be in the playoffs but they will still have to beat a playoff level team with a super bowl winning coach .

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the only question mark would be scheme and coaching, especially with the goofiness that’s likely going to play out re: covid.

I don’t know that it was buying into media clippings as much as just coaching imo.

I was a huge Freddie fan after ‘18, but with some of the rumors that came our it’s surprising they let him finish the season tbh.  You can’t practice something all week and then abandon it on Sunday because of a gut feeling.  He also completely ignored analytics and reportedly wasn’t much of a worker.

It was obvious at times, but I’ve never seen a coach get less out of more in my life.

This is what is so apparent to me. How much WORSE could it have gone? Not talking about injuries here because obviously that's always a concern, always will happen, and can't be measured, but in terms of performance... I really don't see how it could get worse. Chubb was excellent and STs were solid, but that's it. We finished 6-10 in SPITE of:

• Schedule turning out to be more difficult than thought, with the Browns facing the strongest defenses throughout the first 12 games (Steelers x2, Jets, Bills, Patriots, Broncos, 49ers, and the Rams + Jets weren't slouches either). I mean, come on... you see what Baker tends to do against bad defenses. Schedule didn't help. That's a FORMIDABLE group of defenses, we certainly drew the short straw on that.
  • Baker leading the league in unlucky interceptions
  • Baker having a full year's worth of tape, allowing defenses to gain the upper hand in scheming
  • Baker losing confidence in the pocket
  • Offensive tackles getting smoked
  • Insane amount of penalties to start the year (which got better, but it severely impacted us early on)
  • Coach throwing away gameplans
  • Coach mismanaging time
  • Coach putting Baker in terrible situations with playcalling. Calling 4 verts or long-developing routes on 5-wide with terrible blocking is a recipe for disaster. It's like he summoned the Ghost of Todd Haley and along with Monken's philosophies decided that Baker was gonna be the next Mahomes
  • Coach losing respect in the locker room and disrespecting opponents
  • Team having no offensive identity
  • Team having no offensive chemistry - Baker and OBJ were so unfamiliar that it literally led to multiple turnovers
  • Myles suspension

I mean... come on. I think we saw rock bottom for this core of players. We won 6 games on talent/Chubb alone. If Stefanski is a terrible hire (I strongly doubt it - I am the biggest fanboy of his concepts) then can he actually be worse than Kitchens?

Edited by Vee-Rex
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Point 1 Pittsburgh and Baltimore are as good as they can be.

Point 2 Cleveland has more upside then both teams

Point 3 Cleveland on paper is the most improved team in the AFC North,

4 draft Baltimore gets Queens linebacker I would not take Queens plus 2 number 1s for Willis just because of positional importance.

5 Right now OBJ probably passes Julio because of having 2nd year chemistry e.g. look at Landry first and second year.

6 The Browns were in the playoffs before Myles was suspended the Browns are good enough to be in the playoffs but they will still have to beat a playoff level team with a super bowl winning coach .

Theres a whoooole lotta optimism in this here post

The season was over when we lost that disastrous game against Denver. That was Bakers worst game imo. Maybe not statistically, but that was awful.

That game magnified all of our problems.

I think a lot of Bakers problems were due to Freddie’s scheme + 2 awful OT’s.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

lol

I went through them. 6 drops, some were bad passes, but in the hands of the reciever. make a play. two were bad passes. some also had bad tackle play. One was a tip by the De who came free from Greg Robinson. 

forcing the ball to OBJ and Landry 2

I had three with terrible tackle play, two at the end of the game where baker threw it up on a prayer. One was the play to Lawrence Guy, where he knew what was coming and got an int. 

I had 5 that were terrible decisions, three in the Cincinnati game at the end of the year where bakr went screw it and chucked the ball around. 

IMO team building, getting OBJ before tackles, and the pressue to throw to OBJ and LAndry had an affect on the season. Bad play design, had an affect. Bad coaching whether cathing or decision makinghad an affec, OBJ missing the off season had an affect. 

• Like 2

I'm not saying the kid is perfect, I'm just saying that if you don't believe that he is the franchise QB for the Browns then you do not share the opinion within the organization. 

The entire offseason was structured to support him. He's the guy. End of story.

If you still think it's TBD, then you have unreasonable expectations.