Chase Young vs Isaiah Simmons

HTTRDynasty

Young vs Simmons  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you draft Young at #2 or trade back and draft Simmons at #5?

• Draft Chase Young at #2
    • Draft Isaiah Simmons at #5

I've seen this debate on various Redskins forums, but I'm interested in getting FF's general opinion on this.  

The Redskins are in a very interesting spot sitting at #2 in the draft.  If you were the GM, would you draft Young at #2 or trade back to #5 to target Simmons (assuming Okudah and OT1 are picked at #3 and #4)?  Let's also assume Trent Williams gets the extension he's seeking and the package the Redskins receive to trade back is Miami's 2020 #5, #26 and their 2021 1st.

Obviously Simmons, and his freakish athleticism, is fresh on everyones' minds right now, but I'd personally still take Young.

Edited by HTTRDynasty

Who the hell thinks Simmons would be there at #5?  He is gone to the Lions at #3 and I have thought that well before the combine.  Sure might not happen but Simmons is well worth the 3rd overall pick no question about it and the Lions could really use his versatility I think.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Who the hell thinks Simmons would be there at #5?  He is gone to the Lions at #3 and I have thought that well before the combine.  Sure might not happen but Simmons is well worth the 3rd overall pick no question about it and the Lions could really use his versatility I think.  

We did see a similar guy in Derwin slide.  No LB or S in a very, very, very long time has gone in the top 4.

I think positional value causes him to go between 6-10.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

We did see a similar guy in Derwin slide.  No LB or S in a very, very, very long time has gone in the top 4.

I think positional value causes him to go between 6-10.

I heard them say that on TV as well.  Whatever, last time I checked the Lions are not great at LB or S, their LBs get injured often, sure if Slay is gone in some trade CB is a big need but Simmons is a freak show player and for any team to pass on him at #3 could be a mistake.  Okudah going to run better than Simmons did?  Not so sure about that but will see what his workout looks like.  Now Lions at #3 getting a guy like Wirfs I could see or maybe Becton but passing on Simmons for Okudah at this point no thanks, unless Okudah does amazing tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I'd hope Derwin would have convinced people how silly it is to undervalue that position.

Derwin James that JR year did not seem like the same player after the injury and people still were worried about that.  That is why he dropped I thought, not because they undervalued him, it is because as a JR after that injury he did not look the same or have that same explosive ability, clearly was more just getting back into shape honestly based on how he has looked in the pros.  Sure had a good combine but nothing amazing numbers wise.  He was the 7th best 40 in his safety class that year, he was not #1 in any category.

Edited by Ozzy

13 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I'd hope Derwin would have convinced people how silly it is to undervalue that position.

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I heard them say that on TV as well.  Whatever, last time I checked the Lions are not great at LB or S, their LBs get injured often, sure if Slay is gone in some trade CB is a big need but Simmons is a freak show player and for any team to pass on him at #3 could be a mistake.  Okudah going to run better than Simmons did?  Not so sure about that but will see what his workout looks like.  Now Lions at #3 getting a guy like Wirfs I could see or maybe Becton but passing on Simmons for Okudah at this point no thanks, unless Okudah does amazing tomorrow.

I could see Patricia doing it because he could fill so many roles in that defense.  It does make sense.  I think if they trade back to 5 they take him.

But Brown and Okudah also make a ton of sense and are equal prospects imo.  

Simmons has a higher ceiling. 

No evidence Chase Young is more athletic than the Bosa bros and doesn’t have the same level of power. Good chance of being a dbl digit sack guy but below those guys, Garrett etc

• Like 1

I’m a Browns fan and I can say with pretty good confidence that Chase Young is going to be better than Myles Garrett. I can certainly see a defensive coordinator falling in love with the thought of using Isaiah Simmons in a creative way to change what can be done on defense. But to me Chase Young is a no doubt pro bowl, likely all pro pass rusher. If you think Isaiah Simmons is also that level of player, great, you have a conversation. I just think he is a little bit riskier.

• Like 5