Chase Young vs Isaiah Simmons

HTTRDynasty

Young vs Simmons  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you draft Young at #2 or trade back and draft Simmons at #5?

• Draft Chase Young at #2
    • Draft Isaiah Simmons at #5

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

We haven't seen if any draft prospect can do anything against NFL players. Probably why this is in the NFL Draft thread. 

I will say that Joey Porter could and did cover some WR from the OLB position but that was the late 90's.

All of this is really talking about a very good SS.  With the depth of this draft I just do not see him being a top 10 pick.

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 10:34 PM, lark25 said:

Simmons has a higher ceiling. 

No evidence Chase Young is more athletic than the Bosa bros and doesn’t have the same level of power. Good chance of being a dbl digit sack guy but below those guys, Garrett etc

It actually is, its called "film"

- Also in terms of the comparison, Young is elite at rushing the passer, we don't know that Simmons is elite at one position but really good at multiple positions.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I will say that Joey Porter could and did cover some WR from the OLB position but that was the late 90's.

All of this is really talking about a very good SS.  With the depth of this draft I just do not see him being a top 10 pick.

You don't see Isaiah SImmons as a top 10 pick...seriously? Giants will take him if they don't trade out. 

12 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

lol what?

Chiefs just won the Super Bowl

Chiefs are the team to beat right now, and stopping them is a focus.

Neutralizing a Kelce or Kittle is huge right now. Negate them and it’s one step closer 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Chiefs just won the Super Bowl

Chiefs are the team to beat right now, and stopping them is a focus.

Neutralizing a Kelce or Kittle is huge right now. Negate them and it’s one step closer 

The counterpoint is the few teams in the position to get Simmons are likely to be in position to need to hard counter Kelce or Kittle. While TE is important, only 4-5 of them really warrant that level of worry. By the time one might be contending with Simmons, Kelce might not be a threat anymore. I like Simmons and think he should be a top pick for the reasons stated, but the logic that you need to hard counter 1 specific team that just won the superbowl isn't much of a justification, especially since both Kelce and Kittle didn't have massive impacts in the game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

The counterpoint is the few teams in the position to get Simmons are likely to be in position to need to hard counter Kelce or Kittle. While TE is important, only 4-5 of them really warrant that level of worry. By the time one might be contending with Simmons, Kelce might not be a threat anymore. I like Simmons and think he should be a top pick for the reasons stated, but the logic that you need to hard counter 1 specific team that just won the superbowl isn't much of a justification, especially since both Kelce and Kittle didn't have massive impacts in the game.

Kelce definitely had a huge impact. Kittle would’ve if his QB could find him.

im not saying that I’d draft Simmons over Young by any means btw. I just get the need. Plus the 9ers has the 2nd overall this time last year. You never know maybe another top 5 team repeats?

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Kelce definitely had a huge impact. Kittle would’ve if his QB could find him.

im not saying that I’d draft Simmons over Young by any means btw. I just get the need. Plus the 9ers has the 2nd overall this time last year. You never know maybe another top 5 team repeats?

True. I'm on the LBs/Safeties (particularly safeties) matter bandwagon. I've just always disliked the "You have to build against X specific team specifically" idea in general as the league is too volatile. To be fair this topic was Young vs. Simmons + extra pick, which is a more interesting discussion.

• Like 1

Two, or maybe three, teams have a TE the calibre of a Kittle or a Kelce.  Every team has a QB who does not like to be tackled by a large man with bad intentions.

It's not enough to say "We gotta beat [specific team] if we see them in the playoffs" first you gotta get there.  If the player you're looking to neutralize is in your division, that's one thing, but "hypothetical AFC/NFC championship game matchups" is not a reason to draft a guy.

I mean, the blueprint for "how can the Chiefs be stopped" is not unknown- you do it on offense.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Something I thought about today with Simmons. 

What makes him different than Jabril Peppers coming out as prospects? Both from big time programs, both top players in college football. I see a lot of these TV guys tout Simmons for his versatility to play a bunch of positions and be a playmaker anywhere. However when Peppers came out that same exact stuff seemed to work against him and caused him to fall in the draft.

Peppers was being mocked as a top 10 pick/talent for a looong time pre-draft and then the narrative that he doesnt have a true position caused his fall. How and why is that same thing working to prop up Simmons and not causing him to fall like Peppers? 

Both of their situations as prospects seem very very similar but yielding completely different results

Edited by AkronsWitness

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

What makes him different than Jabril Peppers coming out as prospects? Both from big time programs, both top players in college football. I see a lot of these TV guys tout Simmons for his versatility to play a bunch of positions and be a playmaker anywhere. However when Peppers came out that same exact stuff seemed to work against him and caused him to fall in the draft.

Peppers was being mocked as a top 10 pick/talent for a looong time pre-draft and then the narrative that he doesnt have a true position caused his fall. How and why is that same thing working to prop up Simmons and not causing him to fall like Peppers? 

Both of their situations as prospects seem very very similar but yielding completely different results

Simmons is a better athlete, has better ball skills, and better instincts.

18 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well for starters Simmons is almost 30lbs heavier and bout 4-5 inches taller. Oh and also by the fact he’s better in pretty every single way conceivable

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Simmons is a better athlete, has better ball skills, and better instincts.

Ill buy better ball skills/instincts, but not the better athlete. Peppers was a helluva athlete coming out of UM playing 4+ positions and was even one of the nations best KR/PRs. I still dont understand (even if Simmons has a better nose for the ball) how there is THAT big of a gap between the two as prospects. Were talking about a gap where a guy goes as high as #4 overall and the other slipping almost out of the first round at #25.

• Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Ill buy better ball skills/instincts, but not the better athlete. Peppers was a helluva athlete coming out of UM playing 4+ positions and was even one of the nations best KR/PRs. I still dont understand (even if Simmons has a better nose for the ball) how there is THAT big of a gap between the two as prospects. Were talking about a gap where a guy goes as high as #4 overall and the other slipping almost out of the first round at #25.

I think Simmons is just as fast and reactive as Peppers while being much larger.