Chase Young vs Isaiah Simmons

HTTRDynasty

Young vs Simmons  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you draft Young at #2 or trade back and draft Simmons at #5?

• Draft Chase Young at #2
    • Draft Isaiah Simmons at #5

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

An elite DE is more valuable than an elite LB/S. All else being equal, you have to lean toward Young. 

Thats actually debatable in my eyes. That said, its generally easier to 1)project an elite DE prospect vs. a LB/S and 2)I'd rather have an above average/decent DE than an above average/decent LB/S (if the prospect doesn't live up to the hype).

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I’m a Browns fan and I can say with pretty good confidence that Chase Young is going to be better than Myles Garrett. I can certainly see a defensive coordinator falling in love with the thought of using Isaiah Simmons in a creative way to change what can be done on defense. But to me Chase Young is a no doubt pro bowl, likely all pro pass rusher. If you think Isaiah Simmons is also that level of player, great, you have a conversation. I just think he is a little bit riskier.

This is similar to how I feel. I love Simmons, he my favorite player in this draft & I personally believe his ceiling is higher than anyone else (He could legit change how the game is played) ... However, in saying that - he's clearly the greater risk. If not used correctly, he could potentially be somewhat underwhelming. He won't bust, but he could certainly underachieve.

Chase on the other hand is a safe bet. I don't think he'll become the single most dominant defensive force currently in the game, but he will certainly be up there vying with other elite pass rushers.  

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 6:13 PM, Ozzy said:

Who the hell thinks Simmons would be there at #5?  He is gone to the Lions at #3 and I have thought that well before the combine.  Sure might not happen but Simmons is well worth the 3rd overall pick no question about it and the Lions could really use his versatility I think.  

I'd argue he makes more sense than Okudah does for both what the Lions want to do on defense and how the Patriots/Belichick would approach the decision were it left to them (which I think is a fair question to pose since Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia are the ones laying the blueprint here).  When Belichick had ultra premium picks (either because they'd acquired a pick in a previous year from a team that went on to finish poorly or because BB facilitated a trade-up for the pick), those picks were spent on either OL (this was a rare instance from what I can remember) or front-7.  Simmons is capable of doing what a guy that Belichick went out of his way to both acquire and keep on his teams so badly that he's kept him around as a positional coach currently (Jerod Mayo); Mayo was, not-so-coincidentally taken Top 10 by Belichick in his respective draft.  Barring Young being available, I'd consider Simmons and Derrick Brown to be more likely options for Detroit at #3.

IMO, it really depends on a few things:

Assuming that it's a GUARANTEE that Simmons will be there at #5, then I'd consider it if I were Washington, simply because they still need a lot. They'd get one of the best players in the draft and a cache of picks to boot, many of those picks really high. So, would I rather have something like:

Simmons

Pick #18

2021 2nd Rounder

or

Chase Young

...I'd rather have an elite prospect with more ammunition than rolling the dice on one player, but I'm also more into analytics than most...and I'm a HUGE Chase Young fan.

I would also take Okudah over Simmons.  Take all the premium position guys in the tier before you take the non-premium guy who's good enough to be in the tier.

Guys aren't going to show up and play 5 positions on the defense- you're going to start him at one to acclimate to the NFL, and then gradually add more to his plate.   By the time a guy's rookie deal is up you don't want to have spent a top 5 pick on a guy who is a Will LB and a dime safety.