Bradford Injury Dilemma

gopherwrestler

Just now, Worm Guts said:

So why are the Viking incapable of protecting him now?

The line isn't 100% anymore, the timing will be off as he hasn't played or practiced in weeks, and if he has to go in it is likely that the line wasn't able to protect a significantly more mobile Keenum.

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The line isn't 100% anymore, the timing will be off as he hasn't played or practiced in weeks, and if he has to go in it is likely that the line wasn't able to protect a significantly more mobile Keenum.

Isn't Easton the only player out by the time the playoffs start? I don't think he's a major loss.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Elflein's shoulder, Remmers's back, Reiff's ankle. Just because they are playing doesn't mean they are 100%.

Find me a starter in the NFL that isn't playing somewhat hurt.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Isn't Easton the only player out by the time the playoffs start? I don't think he's a major loss.

In pocket and run blocking, probably not so much. He has been great in the screen game, hard to adjust for him in that with Sirles or Isidora.

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This is a pretty wild conversation, to be honest. I can't recall a situation where a playoff favorite has had 3 starting caliber QBs ready to play in the playoffs. 

yes! fans talk about our "QB problem." we don't have a problem, we have a benefit.

Just now, vike daddy said:

yes! fans talk about our "QB problem." we don't have a problem, we have a benefit.

Based on what Teddy showed in the pocket this year, its yet to be determined if he's a benefit or a starting caliber player or a detriment.

Same could be said regarding Bradford if we are stuck with the Chicago version of Bradford vs the Saints version of Bradford.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Find me a starter in the NFL that isn't playing somewhat hurt.

I'm not sure that's relevant though. My point was that Bradford fared really well behind a healthy offensive line. Now we are discussing a surgically repaired Bradford playing behind a significantly less healthy offensive line.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm not sure that's relevant though. My point was that Bradford fared really well behind a healthy offensive line. Now we are discussing a surgically repaired Bradford playing behind a significantly less healthy offensive line.

playing against significantly less healthy defensive players?

Look at every team, they are also battling injuries.

You can't say that the offensive line is the only position that can be effected by injuries.

Saint's defense is being torn apart from injuries since we last played, Panthers players have nagging injuries, Rams players are resting just to try and get healthy, Philly is battling injuries, and every other team in the league is.

While Reiff is battling his ankle injury, he has been off the injury report for a week and a half, prolly will be playing someone with a minor injury. Remmers has his lower back, but the same goes for a guy he may be going against.

Our only significantly less is we are missing one offensive lineman starter, who probably is our weakest link. Not saying that isn't major, but it isn't major enough for me to fear Bradford not being able to perform back there.

Speaking of injuries, we also don't know how healthy Teddy even is. We don't even know if he is all that much more mobile than Bradford. Odd's are he probably is, but in the NFL this year, cleared to play doesn't mean "healthy".

I'd be more worried about Teddy taking big shots than Bradford taking big shots. Only advantage is Teddy may be able to avoid more of them.

Reading all this, I continue to think that the Vikings will only have two QBs active for each game. I believe it will be Case and Teddy. If one of them gets injured they will activate Sam for the next game. When they activate Sam they will not release Sloter. Someone will be put on IR or a player from another position group that was going to be inactive for the game will be released.

Further, I believe that Case Keenum is the best QB on the roster even if Sam and Teddy did not have injury concerns. Case has played better this year than either of the other two have ever played in their careers. Case has strung together half a season of near elite play.

Likewise, I believe Teddy Bridgewater is the second best QB on the roster. This is not so much because he has ever had a long stretch of great play but because Bradford has had years of mediocre play. Bradford has never been anything better than an average QB and I see no reason to believe that he would magically be better than average now. I just don't think Sam is a good NFL QB nor do I think he ever will be a good NFL QB. He is a near elite thrower but that means very little on its own.

Injured or not, chance of reinjury or no increased chance, Sam Bradford is the third QB of the three I would roll with. As such, the Bradford injury dilemma is not much of a dilemma to me. 

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Further, I believe that Case Keenum is the best QB on the roster even if Sam and Teddy did not have injury concerns. Case has played better this year than either of the other two have ever played in their careers. Case has strung together half a season of near elite play.

Neither Bradford or Teddy have ever had an offensive line that has played as well either, though.  

11 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

playing against significantly less healthy defensive players?

Look at every team, they are also battling injuries.

You can't say that the offensive line is the only position that can be effected by injuries.

Saint's defense is being torn apart from injuries since we last played, Panthers players have nagging injuries, Rams players are resting just to try and get healthy, Philly is battling injuries, and every other team in the league is.

While Reiff is battling his ankle injury, he has been off the injury report for a week and a half, prolly will be playing someone with a minor injury. Remmers has his lower back, but the same goes for a guy he may be going against.

Our only significantly less is we are missing one offensive lineman starter, who probably is our weakest link. Not saying that isn't major, but it isn't major enough for me to fear Bradford not being able to perform back there.

Speaking of injuries, we also don't know how healthy Teddy even is. We don't even know if he is all that much more mobile than Bradford. Odd's are he probably is, but in the NFL this year, cleared to play doesn't mean "healthy".

I'd be more worried about Teddy taking big shots than Bradford taking big shots. Only advantage is Teddy may be able to avoid more of them.

My point through out this whole thing was that we saw Bradford play his best game as a Viking when he was fully healthy playing behind a fully healthy line. I believe that he needs this to perform at that level. When the supporting cast around him deteriorates, we have witnessed what happens to Bradford. See 2016. That's the only point I was trying to make.

15 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Reading all this, I continue to think that the Vikings will only have two QBs active for each game. I believe it will be Case and Teddy. If one of them gets injured they will activate Sam for the next game. When they activate Sam they will not release Sloter. Someone will be put on IR or a player from another position group that was going to be inactive for the game will be released.

Likewise, I believe Teddy Bridgewater is the second best QB on the roster. This is not so much because he has ever had a long stretch of great play but because Bradford has had years of mediocre play. Bradford has never been anything better than an average QB and I see no reason to believe that he would magically be better than average now. I just don't think Sam is a good NFL QB nor do I think he ever will be a good NFL QB. He is a near elite thrower but that means very little on its own.

Injured or not, chance of reinjury or no increased chance, Sam Bradford is the third QB of the three I would roll with. As such, the Bradford injury dilemma is not much of a dilemma to me. 

I think last year Sam was pretty decent and probably better than Bridgewater had shown to that point and comparable to what Keenum has done this year in most basic statistics.  Last year was Sam's best year by far though.

Like VD said, the Vikes have a true luxury at this point.  It has been some time since Bradford or Bridgewater have been tested in battle, but I think both would fare quite well in the playoffs -- after shaking off some rust.   The play/execution of the offensive line has been very good all year, and I attribute most of that to Elflein calling protections, as well as Keenum working behind them with a few slick moves.  Rashod Hill has also earned himself a payday.

All I can think of going into this game against Chicago is get a lead early, pile on and then lets see how the 2nd half finishes.  Hopefully, the Vikes come out of the game healthy so they can "rest" for two weeks.  Right now, this team is peaking at the right time . . . the defense has really turned up the heat on opposing offenses.  And, the offense is playing consistent, ball-control with a few explosive plays per game.  

Having Bradford and Bridgewater as back-ups to Keenum in the playoffs really sets this team up for success.  Look back to 2009 when Favre got targeted in the championship game . . . he would've started the SB had they made it, but would've he been effective?  And, who was the back-up then?  Jackson?  With Keenum, someone's gotta catch him first, but that's not to say a cheapshot wouldn't derail his dream-season.  In the event someone else needed to step in, I would argue the Vikes have the best back-up situation in the league . . . what can you say if you have two 1st rounders as your back-ups?  

Archived