Bradford Injury Dilemma

gopherwrestler

28 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I think last year Sam was pretty decent and probably better than Bridgewater had shown to that point and comparable to what Keenum has done this year in most basic statistics.  Last year was Sam's best year by far though.

Yeah, he was decent but his lack of fortitude to attempt making plays was maddening. His default to check it down if things are not open enough for him hurts the team especially since he seems to have zero situational awareness and will fall into this default mode at times that make zero sense. The guy can throw great but he needs to learn how to throw it into single coverage without fear. Just throw it where the defender can't get to it and let your receiver have a chance to make a play. Case Keenum is willing to at least give the guys a chance. 

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

In a complete vacuum, I might go with Bradford, but it close enough that I think if the Vikings any intention of bringing Bridgewater back they have to give him that experience.  Show him they have confidence in him.

Intentions to bring back or not bring back Teddy, should have nothing to do with winning decisions for potentially 2 playoff games.

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Intentions to bring back or not bring back Teddy, should have nothing to do with winning decisions for potentially 2 playoff games.

It's close enough where I think it does.  We're not talking 80%-20% favoring Bradford here, we're talking 51-49.

13 hours ago, Purplexing said:

I think two will be active for each playoff game.  Three may be active IF practice sessions by TB and SB don't instill much confidence in either by Shurmur & Zimmer.

I don't think two injuries to two QBs will happen.  But, one could stink it up and another could get injured.  If two were injured (a remote possibility, but possible, nevertheless), the only option left would be Jet at QB for the rest of that particular playoff game.

Ah, 2 injuries at the QB position in the same game. I've seen it before.

And given Teddy's and Sam's injury history, anything could happen...

46 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

It's close enough where I think it does.  We're not talking 80%-20% favoring Bradford here, we're talking 51-49.

If staff deem them both healthy, i would favor Bradford to Teddy 66\33, so significant to me where I would put next year and free agency out of my mind when making decisions.

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If staff deem them both healthy, i would favor Bradford to Teddy 66\33, so significant to me where I would put next year and free agency out of my mind when making decisions.

Based on Bradfords performance last year and in week one of this year, a healthy Bradford should be the favorite. And it's not close. 2018 free agency shouldn't be on Zimmer's mind and I'd trust Spielman to stay out of managing  game day playing time. 

Anyways, I think had Bradford not had so many injuries in his career, especially to his knees, and could've played under some better coaches, he would've been very good.

The QB I saw week 1 was what I thought Bradford could have been his whole if things worked out.

But games aren't played in a vacuum, or consistently against horribly bad defenses (New Orleans def has been better since) and I don't trust Bradford to come back and look great for us. He won't be what he was against the Saints and probably won't be what he was against the Bears either.

For this year, I'll take Teddy as the backup. He's active and getting practice/mental reps. I trust Zimmer and Shurmur to put him in a good situation where he can do well if Teddy ever needs to step on the field again this season.

IMO if Bradford is healthy, its a no brainer to have him as Keenum's backup in the playoffs. The goal is to win the Super Bowl this year, not worry about next year, who we are going to re-sign, or who has played more recently. If they are both healthy I would say its a no brainer to have Bradford be the backup with how well he played game 1 of this year and last year. He has way more reps over the past 24 months than Teddy, even if Teddy played more recently.

44 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Based on Bradfords performance last year and in week one of this year, a healthy Bradford should be the favorite. And it's not close. 2018 free agency shouldn't be on Zimmer's mind and I'd trust Spielman to stay out of managing  game day playing time. 

Except Teddy has been getting practice reps for the last 2 months and Bradford probably won't shake off the rust in a couple weeks.

4 minutes ago, disaacs said:

In my interpretation of Zim's comments, it appears to me that he favors Teddy over Bradford in a backup situation for Case, as he's fully ready to go, while Sam is not.    

Are you expecting Zimmer to say "we don't have confidence in Teddy, he is at backup QB for show"

Until there is another possible option, you praise what you currently have.

Just now, CriminalMind said:

Are you expecting Zimmer to say "we don't have confidence in Teddy, he is at backup QB for show"

Until there is another possible option, you praise what you currently have.

Zimmer's praise of Teddy usually goes beyond statements he has to make.  I think Zimmer has also shown the willingness to not express confidence if he doesn't feel it.

Archived