Bradford Injury Dilemma

gopherwrestler

3 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Can we keep Bradford on IR until/unless he's needed, or is there a date he has to be activated by?

They can activate him after 8 weeks on IR, which means they can activate him for the playoffs, if necessary, but they aren't required to activate him by any particular date.  

7 minutes ago, disaacs said:

They can activate him after 8 weeks on IR, which means they can activate him for the playoffs, if necessary, but they aren't required to activate him by any particular date.  

It probably makes the most sense to keep him on IR then unless somebody gets hurt.  Save ourselves the extra roster spot that we may need at a different position.

3 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

It probably makes the most sense to keep him on IR then unless somebody gets hurt.  Save ourselves the extra roster spot that we may need at a different position.

The only downside to this is if Case goes down in a game and we need someone right then. I hope Teddy is the guy, but maybe he isn't able to perform well enough. It won't matter when we can activate Bradford if we are out of the playoffs.

And just for clarification, I am playing devils advocate with all of this. I don't think we should activate Bradford, but I can understand some of the thinking behind activating him.

32 minutes ago, disaacs said:

This is true but maybe a little incomplete. They are not required to activate him at any particular date but if the team does not activate a player from IR within 21 days of when they start practicing they are no longer allowed to activate that player and that player is no longer eligible to practice with the team.

A player on IR can start practicing with the team after 6 weeks on IR if they are designated to return. The reason to wait longer before they start practicing is to ensure they are ready to be brought up to the 53 man roster before the 21 day practice window expires.

10 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

This is true but maybe a little incomplete. They are not required to activate him at any particular date but if the team does not activate a player from IR within 21 days of when they start practicing they are no longer allowed to activate that player and that player is no longer eligible to practice with the team.

A player on IR can start practicing with the team after 6 weeks on IR if they are designated to return. The reason to wait longer before they start practicing is to ensure they are ready to be brought up to the 53 man roster before the 21 day practice window expires.

Waiting until next week to let him practice may be a little calculated then, as opposed to being about his health.  Gives the Vikings a window through the NFC championship to activate him.

1 minute ago, Worm Guts said:

Waiting until next week to let him practice may be a little calculated then, as opposed to being about his health.  Gives the Vikings a window through the NFC championship to activate him.

Agreed completely. The plan is likely to leave him practicing on IR with the return designation until one a QB need arises owing to an injury to one of the other QBs. If there are no QBs injured after the NFCC game the team will have to decide whether to activate him to be available during the Superbowl or just shut him down.

Odds are that the team will not be in good shape in the Superbowl if they need to dig deep and move to a third QB on game day. It is possible they would make him the backup too. By all appearances, Teddy is the better QB between Bradford and Bridgewater but Teddy might still have some issues related to such little action in the last couple years.

All it would take to activate Bradford is an injury to Case or Teddy.

I don't see it happening that he becomes active.

One thing that is nice is if any 3 of them go down, I have enough faith that the next man up can at least still give us a chance.

How many teams have 3 starting level QB's on their roster?

If / When to activate Bradford?  The answer to that follows from the answer to this: which QB#3 do you prefer; Sloter or Bradford? 

After the regular season ends, Sloter could be moved to the PS and Bradford could be activated as #3 QB in time to practice if needed. 

TB is insurance, SB is reinsurance.

Are the Vikings and their fans more concerned more about winning a SB or keeping Sloter for 2018 going forward?  

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

All it would take to activate Bradford is an injury to Case or Teddy.

I don't see it happening that he becomes active.

One thing that is nice is if any 3 of them go down, I have enough faith that the next man up can at least still give us a chance.

How many teams have 3 starting level QB's on their roster?

I'm not there yet with the faith back in Teddy.  Let's say Keenum was over at Teddy's house and tripped over his dog and tore his ACL today.   I think the majority of Viking nation would be scared ****less.     I would rush Bradford back and give both QB's a half to prove themselves against the Bears. 

3 minutes ago, Freakish Mind said:

I'm not there yet with the faith back in Teddy.  Let's say Keenum was over at Teddy's house and tripped over his dog and tore his ACL today.   I think the majority of Viking nation would be scared ****less.     I would rush Bradford back and give both QB's a half to prove themselves against the Bears. 

Most change would have us scared ****less for the rest of the year on the offensive side.

Rudolph, Thielen, Jet, Reiff, Elfien.

One positive if your situation were to happen, you have a whole game for Teddy, and then another week off to try and prepare him.

1 hour ago, Freakish Mind said:

You witnessed Bradford falling down without being touched the last time he played (against the Bears), and yet you have more faith in rushing Bradford back than you do in Bridgewater? The guy that has been full go for weeks with the backing of the medical staff and the coaches?

Just now, JDBrocks said:

You witnessed Bradford falling down without being touched the last time he played (against the Bears), and yet you have more faith in rushing Bradford back than you do in Bridgewater? The guy that has been full go for weeks with the backing of the medical staff and the coaches?

not necessarily more faith in Bradford,  just what one looked less scared back there in the pocket.    I know it was a small sample size for Bridgewater,  but seeing him in the pocket was just ugly,  Same with Bradford when he attempted his 1/2 game comeback. 

9 minutes ago, Freakish Mind said:

not necessarily more faith in Bradford,  just what one looked less scared back there in the pocket.    I know it was a small sample size for Bridgewater,  but seeing him in the pocket was just ugly,  Same with Bradford when he attempted his 1/2 game comeback. 

I think it's hard to call it ugly when he threw 2 passes. 

What happens if they release sloter during the playoffs? Does he still have to clear waivers to go to go to practice squad? 

I don’t think it was ugly. Nervous? Sure. But you could tell that his knee was healthy and that he can protect himself. I am honestly afraid for Bradford’s well being. He had no business trying to play, and imo he should take his millions and retire.

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

I think it's hard to call it ugly when he threw 2 passes. 

What happens if they release sloter during the playoffs? Does he still have to clear waivers to go to go to practice squad? 

Yes, he would pass through waivers and then be free to sign with any team he wants including their practice squad. I don't see the Vikings releasing Sloter. It doesn't hurt that much to carry all four QBs for the Super Bowl. There has to be inactive players anyway. It would just mean two inactive QBs.

I don't think that the team is going to activate Bradford until the Super Bowl unless there is an injury to a QB in front of him. If so, that other QB may find their way to IR to clear space. There is no reason to activate Bradford earlier unless he was going to be the backup ahead of Teddy. The team isn't going to carry three QBs on the gameday roster.

IMO, Teddy is a quite a bit QB than Bradford so I don't see it as being likely that Bradford would be the backup.

Archived