Every throw graded: Ultimate scouting report of Browns' Baker Mayfield

buno67

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Things I want to see offensively in 2020 from a sheer schematic point of view:

1. Flood concepts and allowing Baker to read 1/2 of the field and a force defender vs. 1/2 high look. Easy money with his solid accuracy and arm strength.

not to mention, the ball should come out quicker which helps the OL.

2. Throw that RPO garbage in the trash can as "staple points" of the offense. Our offense should be predicated on a power running game with play-action intermediate/deep passes and flood concepts on the quick game.

agreed. 

3. Utilize more "no huddle" and up tempo TO the line of scrimmage, and then we can take our time once the personnel groupings are set. More motions, nuance with the same personnel (Landry/OBJ can move in and out of the slot, Njoku can move to the slot or out wide, Hunt and Chubb can move in and out of the backfield, etc.). No huddle DOES NOT HAVE TO EQUAL hurry up.

These are things that I can sit on my couch on a Sunday and figure out that have zero to do with game-planning that will instantly improve this offense as a whole, Baker's efficiency, and drastically cut down on turnovers.

Mixing/Matching and constant subbing is the most overrated thing in sports (offensively). Teams that are able to create mismatches often do it due to hybrid players/those that are able to stay on the field and move to multiple looks while making the defense pick and choose whether or not to stay in a base look defense or move big/little in personnel.

Oh yes.  No huddle/tempo also means the D is going to be playing more vanilla coverages, etc. It’s not often teams roll out exotic stuff with no time to adjust.

Id love to see hurry up used more situationally.  For example, on second down have a third down play called and ready as well.  Provided the second down play isn’t a mess, get right to the LOS and run the play.  Give the defense no chance to sub, prepare, etc and likely give your QB a more vanilla coverage to read on passing plays.

If the second down play goes bad, huddle up, same if you get a first down, but be ready to pressure the defense on 3rd down.

I get you can’t do this all the time (like if the defense was just on the field a while and you haven’t got a first down yet) to avoid quick possessions, but there are plenty of times in the game this would apply.  The first drive (if you get the ball first) in particular.  No reason to not go pedal to the metal there.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

not to mention, the ball should come out quicker which helps the OL.

Absolutely!

And I know that we are talking about adding an OT/2 OT to the mix this year, but OL takes time to gel and it's difficult to bank on a rookie OT coming in and playing at a Pro Bowl level right off the bat, especially with guys like T.J. Watt in our division 2x to go along with Baltimore'd defense. There will be growing pains. Granted, even if they come in and play "average" it will be an upgrade, but the likelihood of getting another JT playing like JT as a rookie is a bit unrealistic.

agreed. 

How many times last year did we run an RPO, the defense had it covered, Baker had to pump fake, and it resulted in an ineligible WR downfield, sack, or turnover?

Oh yes.  No huddle/tempo also means the D is going to be playing more vanilla coverages, etc. It’s not often teams roll out exotic stuff with no time to adjust.

Id love to see hurry up used more situationally.  For example, on second down have a third down play called and ready as well.  Provided the second down play isn’t a mess, get right to the LOS and run the play.  Give the defense no chance to sub, prepare, etc and likely give your QB a more vanilla coverage to read on passing plays.

If the second down play goes bad, huddle up, same if you get a first down, but be ready to pressure the defense on 3rd down.

In all reality, our scripted plays for our first drive or two should be easy money resulting in 7-14 points with the weapons that we have on this offense, even with average QB play, and that's not an exaggeration. We have one of the best RB in the NFL, as good of a tandem of WR's as anyone else in the league in Landry and OBJ, and if our OL and Baker can play average football, this team should be consistently putting up 24+ points, let alone if Baker plays at a 2018 level/progresses accordingly and our OL is dominant.

I get you can’t do this all the time (like if the defense was just on the field a while and you haven’t got a first down yet) to avoid quick possessions, but there are plenty of times in the game this would apply.  The first drive (if you get the ball first) in particular.  No reason to not go pedal to the metal there.

EXACTLY!

The first half this should apply almost all the time, and our running game should take over in the 2nd half, with hopefully Baker moving the chains consistently on "money downs" on 3rd/4th down.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Things I want to see offensively in 2020 from a sheer schematic point of view:

1. Flood concepts and allowing Baker to read 1/2 of the field and a force defender vs. 1/2 high look. Easy money with his solid accuracy and arm strength.

2. Throw that RPO garbage in the trash can as "staple points" of the offense. Our offense should be predicated on a power running game with play-action intermediate/deep passes and flood concepts on the quick game.

3. Utilize more "no huddle" and up tempo TO the line of scrimmage, and then we can take our time once the personnel groupings are set. More motions, nuance with the same personnel (Landry/OBJ can move in and out of the slot, Njoku can move to the slot or out wide, Hunt and Chubb can move in and out of the backfield, etc.). No huddle DOES NOT HAVE TO EQUAL hurry up.

These are things that I can sit on my couch on a Sunday and figure out that have zero to do with game-planning that will instantly improve this offense as a whole, Baker's efficiency, and drastically cut down on turnovers.

Mixing/Matching and constant subbing is the most overrated thing in sports (offensively). Teams that are able to create mismatches often do it due to hybrid players/those that are able to stay on the field and move to multiple looks while making the defense pick and choose whether or not to stay in a base look defense or move big/little in personnel.

Completely agree about the floods. Also need to run level patterns too. Allow him to have the WRs in his vision. 

I believe they can still utilize RPOs with power run concepts. Also if we are truly moving to a ZBS, the RPOs can be better utilized. I just never want to see empty set unless we need yards quick. I really want to see every play with a run option on it. Any time the browns see 5-6 guy box when it’s manageable distance on the sticks, they should run the ball until the defense truly commits to stopping the run  we have Hunt and Chubb, only time we get away from the run is if they are loading the box up and even then, we should still push it  

like you said about the subbing. Hunt should be a game changer because of his Versatility. His ability to run block and catch, when we have in on the field. They should be an uptempo team. Don’t let the defense sub out and keep them at a disadvantage

• Like 1