Giants release Alec Ogeltree, should we sign him?

turtle28

I just saw that the Giants released Alec Ogletree. Should we sign him to be our MLB?

I think he’d be an upgrade at MLB over Bostic, although the are kind of similar and he’s better than the internal candidates we have and wound be the best MLB we’ve had since London Fletcher.

Interesting enough, he was also a result of the RG3 trade for the Rams in the first round of the 2013 draft so, technically we could have drafted him to be our MLB in 2013.

I’d be nice to go full circle on that too. 

As a Georgia fan, I should really like Ogletree.  And granted, I haven't really followed his career all that much, but I haven't really been much of a fan.  It seems like his career peaked really early- like rookie year early- and has been on a downward trend since.  I need to look a little bit more into things to offer a really solid opinion on his play, but this is just what I'm gathering from a glance at his numbers and things I've heard.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As a Georgia fan, I should really like Ogletree.  And granted, I haven't really followed his career all that much, but I haven't really been much of a fan.  It seems like his career peaked really early- like rookie year early- and has been on a downward trend since.  I need to look a little bit more into things to offer a really solid opinion on his play, but this is just what I'm gathering from a glance at his numbers and things I've heard.  

I get the feeling because he’s a bigger run stuffer that he’s a liability vs the pass. The Giants made him into a situational player during last season and I’m not sure how often he played at all on 3rd and long. I read that in an article at least. So, if we’re signing him, it shouldn’t be for large $ and we should use him as a two down run stuffer just like we should use Bostic if we re-sign him. I’ll try to find that article I was reading.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28785971/giants-release-team-captain-alec-ogletree?platform=amp

The New York Giants have released linebacker Alec Ogletree, a team captain during his two seasons with the team.

Ogletree, one of the league's highest-paid inside linebackers over the past two years at $10 million per season, became a liability in pass coverage and saw his playing time diminish.

Ogletree, who turns 29 in September, was one of general manager Dave Gettleman's first major acquisitions with the Giants. They thought Ogletree could be plugged into the middle of the defense and make a significant impact after being acquired from the Los Angeles Rams in 2018 for two draft picks.

He played in 13 games each of the past two seasons and had 80 tackles, a sack and an interception last year. Ogletree had 93 tackles, a sack and five interceptions in 2018.

The veteran was again slated to make $10 million in 2020 and was scheduled to be the fourth-highest-paid inside linebacker in the NFL, but none of the money was guaranteed. The Giants will take a dead money hit of $3.5 million by cutting Ogletree but will save $8.25 million against the salary cap.

In two seasons, Ogletree started 26 games, had a team-high 173 tackles and was a team captain both years. But he was far from a dominant player, and...

...his issues dropping in coverage – despite a career-high five interceptions in 2018 – were glaring.

Still, Ogletree was the first Giants linebacker with two interception returns for touchdowns in the same season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/02/26/giants-cut-linebackers-alec-ogletree-and-kareem-martin-as-purge-begins/amp/

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

If he can't cover, it's a "No from me Dawg"

Yeah, kind of feeling it too. I got excited at first bc I know the name and he is good vs the run, but the more I've researched him the more I've learned he was cut not only bc his contract was huge but he's not good in coverage either. 

We could re-sign Bostic to start for $2 or 3 million or just start Cole Holcomb at MLB - who's great vs the run but avg to poor in coverage - instead of signing Ogletree and getting basically the same production.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, kind of feeling it too. I got excited at first bc I know the name and he is good vs the run, but the more I've researched him the more I've learned he was cut not only bc he’s contract was huge but he's not good in coverage. 

We could re-sign Bostic to start for $2 or 3 million or just start Cole Holcomb at MLB - who's great vs the run but avg to poor in coverage - instead of signing Ogletree and getting basically the same production.

Same here. Usually I roll my eyes at the "should we sign him threads" but when you posted it I was like "yeah...maybe". But seeing that he is a liability in coverage? Yeah, I can't do that.

Holcomb I have a feeling is gonna improve a lot over the offseason. Don't sleep on him.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Same here. Usually I roll my eyes at the "should we sign him threads" but when you posted it I was like "yeah...maybe". But seeing that he is a liability in coverage? Yeah, I can't do that.

Holcomb I have a feeling is gonna improve a lot over the offseason. Don't sleep on him.

Yeah, I feel that way about Holcomb too. Heck, I was fine with how he played last year. I just thought Manusky should’ve subbed Holcolmb out when we were in the nickel more often for SDH - especially 2nd & 3rd and long - bc Holcolmb was avg at best in coverage and SDH is good in coverage, but that wasn't Holcolmb’s fault, that was Manusky’s fault for not putting the players on the field in the right packages and using them to their best abilities.

I definitely think that Holcomb will be one of our starting LBs, I’m just not sure which spot yet. Rivera mentioned him in an interview and liked the idea of using Holcolmb as the starting SLB, but I like him more at MLB and calling the plays. Obviously Rivera and Del Rio know best on that one. Whichever spot, I definitely think Holcolmb will be a starter though.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Yeah, what I've looked up amounts to what the discussion has already been- just can't really cover anymore.  And when he came into the league, TE's and RB's were just seeing some more innovation and soon after, it became almost mandatory for linebackers to participate in coverage or else they were 1-2 down players.  Having a Ogletree, or a Mason Foster like we had for years, just becomes a liability in many cases, or a net neutral player because you have to substitute him out 50% of the time. 

• Like 1