aceinthehouse

What would you rather have? Chase Young or Okudah & Simmons?

Posted (edited)

I'm really having a tough time with this...

But I think I may have found a way to get both Jeffrey Okudah & Isaiah Simmons on a trade down over just Chase Young. (Just thinking of scenarios that would actually justify passing on a product as good as Chase Young. I'm certainly NOT advocating it. Just so you know...)

So let's say Miami offers #5, #18 & their later 2nd round pick #56 for #2 overall?

Bengals #1=QB Burrow

Miami #2=QB Tua

Lions #3= obviously take DE Chase Young instead of trading down here. Huge need for them.

Giants #4=take 1 of the Tackles here at #4. Which is a glaring need for them. Whether it's OT M. Becton, Wills, Andrew Thomas or even Tristan Wirfs? That I don't know...I've seen all 4 go here in different mock drafts 

So that puts the Skins on the Clock @#5=

I think CB Jeffrey Okudah (Ohio St.) Is the right pick here. Huge need. Shutdown CB.

Chargers #6=QB Herbert 

Rivers is gone & they will need a QB. Some believe they go FA for their QB. Some believe they Draft their QB here. It's been said that "some scouts" believe he's the best QB in this draft.  

Panthers #7=DT Derrick Brown

Listed as the best DT in this class. Sure, they could go Espeneza or Simmons here as well. But this draft is deeper at DE/OLB's than DT. The Panthers need both, imo. Plus, they did draft OLB Shaq Thompson just a yr ago (who Guice ran over...lol). If they want to stop the run, they need Brown here.

Cardinals #8=WR Jerry Jeudy

Cardinals know Larry Fitzgerald is about done. They will want to draft the best route runner WR in the draft. (Much like Fitz himself) to pair with Andy Isabella from last yr in the later rounds. Not to mention giving Murray more targets. Jeudy has been a top 10 prospect all yr. I don't see him slipping out of the top 10.

Jaguars #9=OT M. Becton, Wills, Andrew Thomas or even Tristan Wirfs 

One of these 4 will go to the Giants. But I see another one getting taken here by the Jags in the top 10. Again, which one is anybody's guess? I could easily see the Giants getting Becton @#4 & the Jags going Andrew Thomas here @#9.

BIG TRADE

Redskins #10=OLB/FS/ wherever the hell you want to play him, Isaiah Simmons.

Redskins trade #18 pick (via Miami) & LT Trent Williams to the Browns, for the #10 pick overall.

Redskins get another centerpiece to their Defense, while the Browns get LT Trent Williams & only moving down the 1st round 8 spots & losing nothing.

Anyways, just a possible position to be in come draft day.

I do believe that Trent Williams will become part of a draft day trade at some point.

It's a chip that can help us manuever around the draft board.

Netting the dolphins 2nd rounder is huge in this trade & I believe in the situation we are in, with Trent & Dunbar wanting out as well. It puts us in position to use what value they have, to net us players who can help & want to be here. Why those combine interviews are important. ###culturechange

We can also use that 2nd rounder #56 to Target an OT who drops, or simply draft best available player here.

One thing I do believe, strongly.

Trent Williams needs to go! 

Edited by aceinthehouse

Posted (edited)

Not possible. I like your thought process here, but I don't think we get #5 & 18 in a trade down w/ Miami to start with, so I think that is unrealistic to begin with.

On top of that, I'm almost 100% certain Simmons will be a top 10 pick. In your scenario here, that pick makes more sense for the Giants then a LT bc Simmons is the 3rd best prospect in the draft given Tua’s injury. I think Simmons would go #4 to the Giants and if he doesn't go #4, the Giants will take Okudah.  I don't see any way both Okudah and Simmons make it out of the top 5.

Edited by turtle28

Okudah and Simmons are probably the other two picks in the Top 5 outside of Tua, Young, Burrow. So...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jacksonville go with Simmons at 9.  I can't help but think another team will fall in love with Simmons from his combine performance and attempt to trade up to grab him.  

Exploring different possibilities are what makes NFL drafting so fun and special.  That being said, the best pass rushing prospect in the past decade has fallen into our laps.  We don't need to get cute with it.  

The title is misleading.  Your proposition is basically Chase Young AND Trent Williams or Okudah and Simmons.  I'll take Chase Young and Trent Williams.  

On 3/2/2020 at 10:37 AM, MKnight82 said:

The title is misleading.  Your proposition is basically Chase Young AND Trent Williams or Okudah and Simmons.  I'll take Chase Young and Trent Williams.  

Well, given that the Skins have given Trent the green light to look for trades, I think we can assume he's gone no matter what. In that case, the question is what compensation do they get for him.

That all said, I'm not sure I would go defense-defense in this particular case since they would have a glaring hole at left tackle. If Simmons is gone by 10 (and all projections have that as the case), then I think you would have to consider one of the two remaining tackles.

I don't see anyway Simmons is there is 10,was a possible top 5 before the combine and after that combine some defensive minded coach going to convince someone to take him earlier.

Personally I'd take Simmons at 5 in this spot,Which would either drop the 2nd LT taken to 10 which might be are best depending on which one Giants take,or we could take our best WR on the board to give Haskins another weapon rather that be Juedy my #1,Lamb or Ruggs.

The Issue with this whole thing is Trent should be long gone before the draft,so we wouldn't have him as a trade piece then.

I'd prefer Okudah and Simmons obviously.

But the likelihood of drafting two top 5 prospects is virtually 0%

I guess the Likelyhood of Haskins and Sweat both being Pro Bowl or top 100 players is very low huh? Can people please stop saying you can't draft multiple Good to Great player's in the same draft when that is exactly what happens every year in the draft! Good to Great players get drafted! Yet teams don't usually have multiple 1st round picks.

Miami if they play their hands correctly could walk out the draft with 3 Pro Bowl Talented Players with 3 1st round picks. Plus more with all the rest of their picks. Now the Likelyhood you hit on All Picks may be low, but YOUR High Value Picks shouldn't be wasted. 

44 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I guess the Likelyhood of Haskins and Sweat both being Pro Bowl or top 100 players is very low huh? Can people please stop saying you can't draft multiple Good to Great player's in the same draft when that is exactly what happens every year in the draft! Good to Great players get drafted! Yet teams don't usually have multiple 1st round picks.

Miami if they play their hands correctly could walk out the draft with 3 Pro Bowl Talented Players with 3 1st round picks. Plus more with all the rest of their picks. Now the Likelyhood you hit on All Picks may be low, but YOUR High Value Picks shouldn't be wasted. 

Anything thing is possible, but it’s not very likely that 3 first round picks all turn out to be pro bowlers.

If I were Miami I’d rather have my pro bowl LT & pro bowl FS back who they trade away last year, but maybe that just me.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Anything thing is possible, but it’s not very likely that 3 first round picks all turn out to be pro bowlers.

If I were Miami I’d rather have my pro bowl LT & pro bowl FS back who they trade away last year, but maybe that just me.

They have a opportunity to draft a Franchise Caliber Players at #5 Tua, #18 LT, RT, WR #26 FS, CB, WR, OL they just have to take advantage of the opportunity. Don't make a trade up to #2 with Washington for Tua, let him fall to #5. Get Tua and a WR at 18 and decide Trent Williams is worth the 26th pick if you think you can get 3-4 Pro Bowl seasons out of him. It's all about how you play the situations presented.

11 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

They have a opportunity to draft a Franchise Caliber Players at #5 Tua, #18 LT, RT, WR #26 FS, CB, WR, OL they just have to take advantage of the opportunity. Don't make a trade up to #2 with Washington for Tua, let him fall to #5. Get Tua and a WR at 18 and decide Trent Williams is worth the 26th pick if you think you can get 3-4 Pro Bowl seasons out of him. It's all about how you play the situations presented.

I'd do that if I was the Dolphins.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I'd do that if I was the Dolphins.

This would be a dream scenerio. Also would have to more than likely happen on draft night. I'm definitely willing to hold onto Williams going into the draft but hoping to trade him during it. Also willing to bet he isn't going to sit this season out. He'd be playing under a new Staff and group of Men and would be the professional needed so the Team could have the best Season possible.