CW21's NFL Mock Draft v2020.01

CWood21

12 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

I honestly think the Chargers are content enough to give Tyrod the starting nod. Coach Lynn has history with him in Buffalo and it really looks like he has been wanting to start him but the Chargers didn’t want the backlash of benching Rivers. I think they are going to pass on a QB to roll the dice in Tyrod and see if he can still be a successful starter. I think if Wirfs is on the board that has to be the selection. 

Tua has some medical questions marks and at 6-0 is small by NFL standards. I think going from an Ironman like Rivers to an undersized QB with a injury red flag is a mistake to spend a top ten pick. Unquestionably he is an exciting prospect but those two Congo’s factors make me want it to be someone else that takes him. 

Great points.  It’s amazing how many mock creators  believe an NFL Franchise is going to mortgage their future picks to move up to draft a QB that is still recovering from a fractured hip.  I really believe Tua will be available for the Dolphins at pick 5.  I’m not sure that he will be available at pick 6, but that’s only because the Dolphins can afford to gamble a little if it doesn’t costs future picks ( only because we have a total of 5 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts )..  I don’t think that can be said for any other team drafting in the top 10.  If Tua slides past the Dolphins at pick 5, I truly believe he could fall out of the top 10.

I also Love that you truly get what’s going on with the Chargers, Anthony Lynn and Tyrod Taylor.  Taylor played pretty well for Lynn in Buffalo and Lynn is the whole reason Tyrod went to the Chargers when he did.  I wouldn’t be shocked if the Chargers drafted Herbert or Tua at 6, but I would be shocked if either of those players start the season over a healthy Tyrod.

Edited by Swampbilly

3 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Great points.  It’s amazing how many mock creators  believe an NFL Franchise is going to mortgage their future picks to move up to draft a QB that is still recovering from a fractured hip.  I really believe Tua will be available for the Dolphins at pick 5.  I’m not sure that he will be available at pick 6, but that’s only because the Dolphins can afford to gamble a little if it doesn’t costs future picks ( only because we have a total of 5 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts )..  I don’t think that can be said for any other team drafting in the top 10.  If Tua slides past the Dolphins at pick 5, I truly believe he could fall out of the top 10.

I also Love that you truly get what’s going on with the Chargers, Anthony Lynn and Tyrod Taylor.  Taylor played pretty well for Lynn in Buffalo and Lynn is the whole reason Tyrod went to the Chargers when he did.  I wouldn’t be shocked if the Chargers drafted Herbert or Tua at 6, but I would be shocked if either of those players start the season over a healthy Tyrod.

I’d definitely bet the Dolphins get a shot at Tua at 5. I honestly think Oakland/TB at 12 and 14 are the first teams that are truly considering it. That’s around where Cutler went who is a very similar risk/reward comparison. Dolphins very well could get him at 18 which is where I think the slide stops. Burrow goes first, I think Herbert is the second QB off the board. That fractured hip is a big deal.  

I think Miami Takes Tua at 5 instead of Herbert, but I could see it going either way.  Epenesa had a bad combine and is falling on a lot of boards.  I think he goes in the 20's or even the second round. I also see that the biggest place of need on the Dolphins, the OL, you have us taking NONE.  If we do not come out of this Draft with 1-2 OL in the first 2 rounds, then it is a BAD draft for the Dolphins.  

On 3/3/2020 at 10:52 AM, praegler said:

I think Miami Takes Tua at 5 instead of Herbert, but I could see it going either way.  Epenesa had a bad combine and is falling on a lot of boards.  I think he goes in the 20's or even the second round. I also see that the biggest place of need on the Dolphins, the OL, you have us taking NONE.  If we do not come out of this Draft with 1-2 OL in the first 2 rounds, then it is a BAD draft for the Dolphins.  

Ya, I'm certain we will be targeting an OT in round 1.  We need 2 OT's so at least one capable starting OT will come from this draft IMO.  I also believe we draft Tua at 5.  I always saw Epenesa as a first rounder, but I've never been as high on him as most.  What he did at the combine is about what I see from him on tape.  He has great length and hand work, he plays with great leverage when rushing the passer, has the functional strength to stand his ground and make the tackle at the point of attack...….but, he has ZERO twitch.  He isn't going to fly around the field making plays.  He needs to add more strength and muscle and work towards becoming a 3-4 End, but he does have a lot of upside because of his frame and hand placement.  I would be surprised if he comes off the board before pick 20.

Edited by Swampbilly

On 3/2/2020 at 9:20 AM, Boltstrikes said:

I honestly think the Chargers are content enough to give Tyrod the starting nod. Coach Lynn has history with him in Buffalo and it really looks like he has been wanting to start him but the Chargers didn’t want the backlash of benching Rivers. I think they are going to pass on a QB to roll the dice in Tyrod and see if he can still be a successful starter. I think if Wirfs is on the board that has to be the selection. 

Tua has some medical questions marks and at 6-0 is small by NFL standards. I think going from an Ironman like Rivers to an undersized QB with a injury red flag is a mistake to spend a top ten pick. Unquestionably he is an exciting prospect but those two factors make me want it to be someone else that takes him. 

Even when Tyrod Taylor was the starting QB, he was an avearge (maybe slightly above-average) starting QB.  He was 23-21-1 as a starting QB between Buffalo and Cleveland.   He's not a starting QB-caliber for a team who is looking to win a Super Bowl.  He's a place holder QB.  My thinking on this is two fold.  The Chargers were one of the worst attendance of all the NFL teams.  I believe they were the worst by a pretty significant margin.  A potential franchise QB changes that.  And more importantly, he's dirt cheap for the next 4 years.  Without Philip Rivers, people aren't going to be coming to watch the Chargers.