Bears prioritizing Nick Kwiatkoski?

soulman

In terms of actual money, Trevethan made $6.4M last season.

If I have the choice between signing him back for around the same on a 1-year deal or signing Kwit to a multi year deal at $8M avg, then I am taking Trevethan. 

He is a better player number and that probably would mean they could sign Pierre Louis back as well to fill the Kwit backup/special teams role.

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Kwit was pretty good last year but he’s still a player with clear limitations in the pass game, and we are still in a division where we will play 6 times a year against Hockenson, Irv Smith and whoever GB adds at TE (maybe Hooper), plus Aaron Jones and Dalvin Cook out of the backfield. I don’t think Kwit can consistently hang with any of them

Precisely. He hid that really well when he got his starter's reps this season but I still cringe at the idea of him matching up on a RB or TE consistently. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Precisely. He hid that really well when he got his starter's reps this season but I still cringe at the idea of him matching up on a RB or TE consistently. 

He did surprisingly well in coverage last year.  Four passes defensed and one pick in just 8 starts.  I don't think he got any faster he just became more aware of how he needed to work at it.  The kid is one hell of an instinctive player which is what I really like about him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

In terms of actual money, Trevethan made $6.4M last season.

If I have the choice between signing him back for around the same on a 1-year deal or signing Kwit to a multi year deal at $8M avg, then I am taking Trevethan. 

He is a better player number and that probably would mean they could sign Pierre Louis back as well to fill the Kwit backup/special teams role.

It could go either way and we'd still end up with a very good ILB to partner with Smith but DT's injuries bother me.  He's a great ILB and a real spark plug when healthy but when that's less than 70% of the time we'd need good quality depth and Kwiatkoski was it.

And to be honest with this new CBA and as quickly as I believe the cap will rise each year I'm not too worried about whether it's $6 mil or $7 mil or $8 mil or whatever his FMV is.  We should easily be able to absorb it as long as we keep his 2020 number lower.

If the rumors are accurate we should know soon enough which direction Pace is gonna go but if we plan on re-signing him it would be wise to get it done and not allow him to shop himself as a UFA.  I'd put a reasonably big number on his plate now as a signing bonus, chop his 2020 salary to a vet minimum, and structure the deal so his gtd $$$ is paid up in years 1 and 2.  Then if we do end up trading or releasing him all we're dealing with is the dead cap from his signing bonus which will be far less than his salary.

These day no matter how long the terms of a vet contract are nearly all of them have a reasonable backdoor option for the team after year two or three at the latest and all teams are committing to is the gtd $$$ so even if a deal has an $8 mil AAV if it's somewhat back loaded and it doesn't fully pay out it usually average far less anyway.  Agents may get paid on the basis of the original terms but not always the player.  There are always a ton of cap cuts every year prior to FA and the new league year.

Edited by soulman

2 hours ago, soulman said:

He did surprisingly well in coverage last year.  Four passes defensed and one pick in just 8 starts.  I don't think he got any faster he just became more aware of how he needed to work at it.  The kid is one hell of an instinctive player which is what I really like about him.

I think you give offensive coordinators enough time to game plan him into coverage on better athletes and he'll lose more than he wins. Not a knock on him overall as a player, but I look at Kwiat and see a liability in coverage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G08 said:

I think you give offensive coordinators enough time to game plan him into coverage on better athletes and he'll lose more than he wins. Not a knock on him overall as a player, but I look at Kwiat and see a liability in coverage.

Before last season I would have agreed with you.  In 2018 he was a liability in coverage but in 2019 he was not.  OCs had 8 games to do what you suggest and still he held up better than expected.

Now admittedly I don't have enough game film on his to know if he improved that much or if Pagano was able to find ways to protect him in coverage but the Bears staff does and that will be part of their thinking in negotiations.  All we know now is he's rumored to be high on Pace's list for a new contract so I'll go with that for now and see what happens. 

He's a very instinctive LB and that's something you can't teach.  He's also improved as player each year coming up the ranks as a ST only guy to a front line backup to a starter who played even better than expected so I'd like to keep him if we can.

I just want to state here as always that I'm only basing my thinking on my own logic and defending that.  Consider it more like if I were the Bears GM this is what I'd do which has zero to do with what Pace thinks or he may do.  It's just how I work mentally and not that I believe I'm more right than someone else.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, soulman said:

I just want to state here as always that I'm only basing my thinking on my own logic and defending that.  Consider it more like if I were the Bears GM this is what I'd do which has zero to do with what Pace thinks or he may do.  It's just how I work mentally and not that I believe I'm more right than someone else.

Right there with ya... though opinions and message boards are like oil and water.

• Like 2

Unless Trevathan is significantly cheaper I'm rolling with Nick. Younger, seems much more durable and I think is a better fit in the long term for the Bears. 

We saw how physical he was the last few years and basically acts as an extra lineman in regards to taking up OL. That's something we're need with Smith, as he is athletic but doesn't disengage well.  When in nickel we need an EDGE rusher opposite of Mack, Floyd isn't the answer there imo BUT if hellbent on keeping Floyd he can slide over to ILB with Smith to cover. He and Smith have the athleticism to be a great duo to be able to cover and do delayed blitzes. 

• Like 3