Ngakoue will not sign new deal

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I have no reason to doubt Dave does what I said personally.

Unless you're getting a premium pick what good does trading him do? Let him sit or let him play on the tag, imo. I'd rather let him be upset and sit then trade him for a 3rd. He's 25 and top 5 in pressures since 2016.

So far, Dave hasn't shown he will be desperate in trades if he doesn't get what he's looking for. Considering how we value Yan, I suspect that will carry into trade talks.

I really hope so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

I really hope so.

Ramsey? 2 1's and a 4 while faking injury/pleading to the media in-season.

Foles? A 4 for a QB that has been injury prone and who most thought we'd have to attach a pick or get minimal return. Was echoed through the media we'd need a return where we value him at his contract price to move him and I'd say that was done.

Dave reportedly offered Yan more $ than any other team will, so far. He isn't going easily.

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Ramsey? 2 1's and a 4 while faking injury/pleading to the media in-season.

Foles? A 4 for a QB that has been injury prone and who most thought we'd have to attach a pick or get minimal return. Was echoed through the media we'd need a return where we value him at his contract price to move him and I'd say that was done.

Dave reportedly offered Yan more $ than any other team will, so far. He isn't going easily.

I really just want to live in a world where Yan comes around to the idea of being a Jaguar for life.  Because that would be nice.

Just now, Tugboat said:

I really just want to live in a world where Yan comes around to the idea of being a Jaguar for life.  Because that would be nice.

Think that's what we all want. Best edge rusher we've had in a long time (if ever, although I think Allen ends up being better).

But man I don't see it. He just continues going in spirals on social media saying this chapter is over, etc.

The thought of Yan/Allen for the next 5-6 years would be so damn fun to watch though.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Think that's what we all want. Best edge rusher we've had in a long time (if ever, although I think Allen ends up being better).

But man I don't see it. He just continues going in spirals on social media saying this chapter is over, etc.

The thought of Yan/Allen for the next 5-6 years would be so damn fun to watch though.

Why can't we have nice things?  :(

I legitimately put Yan in my estimation of the "Jaguars All Time Team" thread on the general board.  He's actually that good.  It's just so annoying to lose a player like that over something so stupid.  Unless he just actually hates playing for this organization and can't ever get past the garbage they've thrown at him.  It just makes it hard to be a fan of the team...when great players don't want to be a part of it anymore.

In some ways, i even understand that too.  Like Fred Taylor isn't in the HoF because Jacksonville.  He's not the only one.

15 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Why can't we have nice things?  :(

I legitimately put Yan in my estimation of the "Jaguars All Time Team" thread on the general board.  He's actually that good.  It's just so annoying to lose a player like that over something so stupid.  Unless he just actually hates playing for this organization and can't ever get past the garbage they've thrown at him.  It just makes it hard to be a fan of the team...when great players don't want to be a part of it anymore.

In some ways, i even understand that too.  Like Fred Taylor isn't in the HoF because Jacksonville.  He's not the only one.

I think times are changing with the media though as far as small markets go with social media and how easily accessible seeing all teams/players.

Unfortunately for Fred he was too early, but if we had Fred in this era he'd be a HOF'er imo.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I think times are changing with the media though as far as small markets go with social media and how easily accessible seeing all teams/players.

Unfortunately for Fred he was too early, but if we had Fred in this era he'd be a HOF'er imo.

I mean...they're changing 1 game at a time, as the Jaguars gradually migrate to becoming the first full time European team.

Man...looking more at this draft class, and it's a freaking wasteland when it comes to quality Edge talent.  Yikes.

That has to help Yan's value in trade.  Like...for anyone not fortunate enough to land Chase Young, it's pretty bleak.

Of course...that also means that once Yan is presumably moved, the Jaguars are going to have to be involved in scouring the dregs of the draft for some sort of pass rushing replacement.  Can't seriously move forward with just one sophomore edge guy of any talent.  And that prospect of throwing oneself into this pretty pathetic edge class in the draft is pretty gross.  Can't help but get the feeling some really mediocre guys and projects are going to get pretty overdrafted.  

40 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Man...looking more at this draft class, and it's a freaking wasteland when it comes to quality Edge talent.  Yikes.

That has to help Yan's value in trade.  Like...for anyone not fortunate enough to land Chase Young, it's pretty bleak.

Of course...that also means that once Yan is presumably moved, the Jaguars are going to have to be involved in scouring the dregs of the draft for some sort of pass rushing replacement.  Can't seriously move forward with just one sophomore edge guy of any talent.  And that prospect of throwing oneself into this pretty pathetic edge class in the draft is pretty gross.  Can't help but get the feeling some really mediocre guys and projects are going to get pretty overdrafted.  

Smoot is built in the more 5T build but I expect him to build on the 6 sacks last year and have an expanded role. Listening to Doug the scouts are pretty excited about what Gunter can bring in this scheme as well.

Losing Yan is going to be a hit regardless of who gets brought in as he's one of the best. But with Allen, those two, and hopefully the addition of a young DT ala Brown/Kinlaw/Davidson etc. we should be solid in that department imo. Not as good, but certainly not an "issue", imo.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Smoot is built in the more 5T build but I expect him to build on the 6 sacks last year and have an expanded role. Listening to Doug the scouts are pretty excited about what Gunter can bring in this scheme as well.

Losing Yan is going to be a hit regardless of who gets brought in as he's one of the best. But with Allen, those two, and hopefully the addition of a young DT ala Brown/Kinlaw/Davidson etc. we should be solid in that department imo. Not as good, but certainly not an "issue", imo.

Ehhh...the strength of this defense has always been when they've had at least two quality edge guys firing in addition to having Calais moving around and contributing at multiple spots.  Expecting Smoot to suddenly be more than he is, or depth guys like Gunter to come in and provide quality pressure off that other side, while also simultaneously expecting Allen to take on a way bigger role and a lot more attention, is how you get an impotent pass rush, which is a killer for the whole defense.

Even if those guys can kinda survive on early downs...we really don't have anything resembling that second true edge rusher to play that Allen/Fowler role on obvious passing downs.  Just not really acceptable to me, if they once again go into the season randomly expecting everyone to suddenly take a big step forward and overperform anything they've previously done.

Like...you don't just lose two Pro Bowl caliber DEs in one offseason, and have a couple depth guys magically pick up the slack.  That has the look of a seriously deficient pass rush...which i'd absolutely consider an "issue" in today's NFL.  Especially with what's going to be a very young/inexperienced and probably somewhat questionable secondary behind them.

I'm not sure what the real solution to this mess they've created is.  Obviously delving into the draft isn't a very attractive prospect, and probably doesn't have the answer anyway.  But just going into the season like that banking on those guys not having a significant drop-off from two great players, is just bad management as far as i'm concerned.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Ehhh...the strength of this defense has always been when they've had at least two quality edge guys firing in addition to having Calais moving around and contributing at multiple spots.  Expecting Smoot to suddenly be more than he is, or depth guys like Gunter to come in and provide quality pressure off that other side, while also simultaneously expecting Allen to take on a way bigger role and a lot more attention, is how you get an impotent pass rush, which is a killer for the whole defense.

Even if those guys can kinda survive on early downs...we really don't have anything resembling that second true edge rusher to play that Allen/Fowler role on obvious passing downs.  Just not really acceptable to me, if they once again go into the season randomly expecting everyone to suddenly take a big step forward and overperform anything they've previously done.

Like...you don't just lose two Pro Bowl caliber DEs in one offseason, and have a couple depth guys magically pick up the slack.  That has the look of a seriously deficient pass rush...which i'd absolutely consider an "issue" in today's NFL.  Especially with what's going to be a very young/inexperienced and probably somewhat questionable secondary behind them.

I'm not sure what the real solution to this mess they've created is.  Obviously delving into the draft isn't a very attractive prospect, and probably doesn't have the answer anyway.  But just going into the season like that banking on those guys not having a significant drop-off from two great players, is just bad management as far as i'm concerned.

Josh Allen showed the makings of a premier edge rusher as a rookie. I'm not saying he alone can take care of things, but I do think he along with the two guys I mentioned and an improved presence in the middle that we haven't exactly had since Dareus prior to injuries will go a long way.

Fowler was a guy that would get his on stunts/Campbell and Yan forcing him into their laps. We're not going to be "Sacksonville", but I also see a group that I think will be better than plenty of teams.

Smoot consistently flashed last year. He went away from being vegan and when he was out there was pretty damn solid. Is he Calais (although Calais was a shell of his former self last year, still good but a far cry from the DPOY candidate in 2017)? No, definitely not. But I do think he's going to be a quality DL and bring a solid pass rush ability just as I saw last year, but with more reps in my opinion.

We also havent had much from the interior (run D or pass rush), so if we can nab Brown/Kinlaw (yes they'll be rookies, I know) and have Gunter/Smoot rotating inside, I think we'll be fine.

We all know going from Allen, Yan, and Calais to Allen and whoever else is going to be a drop off. I just think we'll be fine in that department pending on the addition of an interior rusher and Marsh (who is low-key a solid depth pass rush presence). It's not going to be our MO/what our defense is known for like in the past, but we will be solid in that department. I don't see it being even close to the days like pre Yan/Campbell.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

DiRoc doesn't believe the Jaguars will end up dealing Ngakoue. Thinks Shad is putting his foot down and unless a crazy good offer comes in he'll either play with us or sit.

Isn’t this what Shad tried to do with Jalen? And then got a little bit of egg on his face when Jalen lied to him. 

• Like 1